Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop/Tablet Hybrid

Options
  • 17-12-2015 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all,

I currently have a laptop but I've recently become fed up with having to carry it around.

I've been asking a few friends what I would be better off getting, some have suggested the Surface Pro 4 while others have suggested Apple products.

I would prefer to avoid Apple if I could but if the performance is so much better then I would be prepared to go with them in the end.

The laptop/tablet would be used mainly for college work as well as placement which I have in the new year.

The applications I would mostly use would be the Office Suite(Word, Excel, Visio, Outlook), Chrome, Spotify, NetBeans and Visual Studio.

The main issues that I have would be regarding the amount of RAM and storage I need. For example, could I just upload everything I work on to the cloud and save money in terms of buying a laptop with a large storage?

Thanks for reading this, and I appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Can you even run Visual Studio on an iPad?

Besides that I've seen people report running VS on Surface 2 with no issues so I image you'd be fine. It's configurable up to 16GB RAM and 1TB storage although that would set you back serious money

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Sigerson

mordeith wrote: »
    Can you even run Visual Studio on an iPad?

Besides that I've seen people report running VS on Surface 2 with no issues so I image you'd be fine. It's configurable up to 16GB RAM and 1TB storage although that would set you back serious money

I forgot about that small problem! Guess that narrows down my choices a lot thankfully!

I know, very pricey. I've been looking at the Pro 4 online and playing around with different combinations in terms of specs. Would you need the 16GB RAM? I'm just not sure how to determine if I would need that amount or not. Same goes for storage, should I just choose the smallest storage possible and buy a massive hard drive and back everything up to the cloud?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Sigerson wrote: »
    I forgot about that small problem! Guess that narrows down my choices a lot thankfully!

I know, very pricey. I've been looking at the Pro 4 online and playing around with different combinations in terms of specs. Would you need the 16GB RAM? I'm just not sure how to determine if I would need that amount or not. Same goes for storage, should I just choose the smallest storage possible and buy a massive hard drive and back everything up to the cloud?

I think you could get by with 8GB tbh. In terms of storage, what kind of data are you looking to be keeping? If it was a one or the other I'd probably go with more RAM and less storage. Easy enough to backup to cloud or buy an external drive

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Sigerson

mordeith wrote: »
    I think you could get by with 8GB tbh. In terms of storage, what kind of data are you looking to be keeping? If it was a one or the other I'd probably go with more RAM and less storage. Easy enough to backup to cloud or buy an external drive

The data I would be storing would just be applications for college (chrome, netbeans, visual studio, MS Visio, MS Office), college projects (java files, VB files, Visio Files, Excel files) basically anything I create using those applications.

Plus whatever I will be using on placement which I assume won't be that different from my college work. Mainly Visio and possibly powerpoint for my placement work I would think.

The new pen for the Pro 4 would also be very handy when it came to drawing diagrams on Visio I would imagine.

Advertisement