Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Blessington 2016

• 17-12-2015 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone

I'm new to boards and just looking for some information. I'm in the process of selling my house in Dublin and looking at moving to Blessington. I grew up in one of the villages about 20mins outside Blessington so I'm familiar with the 65 bus and living in the countryside etc. I'm wondering what Blessington is like these days and what are the best estates to buy in and what estates are the worst. Also what is the anti-social behavior like and how is the general level of riff-raff in the area? Also the positives. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Moved to the Wicklow forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi everyone

I'm new to boards and just looking for some information. I'm in the process of selling my house in Dublin and looking at moving to Blessington. I grew up in one of the villages about 20mins outside Blessington so I'm familiar with the 65 bus and living in the countryside etc. I'm wondering what Blessington is like these days and what are the best estates to buy in and what estates are the worst. Also what is the anti-social behavior like and how is the general level of riff-raff in the area? Also the positives. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I lived in Blessington for 10 years.
    I had my fair share of crime living in Deerpark; my car was stolen twice, my tyres were slashed several times, as were my neighbours' too.
    Three neighbours had attempted break-ins and I had to get used to the sound of joyriders on a nightly basis.

I felt very unsafe towards the end of my residence in Blessington.
    The community is very close-knit and most people know each other.

The West Wicklow was my favourite pub because all the bar-staff would have a natter and a laugh with you, the food's grand and there's music on every weekend.
    The other pubs, such as Murphy's and Bealin's Bar are, in my opinion, much more of old-men pubs where you'll be stared at for a while if you're new.
    Miley's pub is a no-no, in my view.
    The landlady is renown for sneezing and coughing into your pint.

You've got Dunnes, Supervalu and Aldi which are handy, and you're not far from Naas and Tallaght, but don't rely on the 65 bus service because the buses are every hour and even rarer on Sundays.

Personally, I'd never move back.
    I've lived all over the place but I never felt as unsafe as I did in Blessington.

It doesn't help that the Garda station closes for most of the day and re-opens early evening.
    And the local yobs know this.
    Go figure.

I've a friend living in Downshire Park and he's had his car stolen but apart from this, he seems happy there.
    You asked for opinions, OP, so that's mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

. Blessington is a great place to live, no riff raff and safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Hi there,

I've lived in Blessington for over 10 years now and seem to have had a completely opposite experience to the poster above. I don't live in Deerpark mind so I've no idea what that estate is like. Personally speaking I've never experienced any sort of crime inflicted on myself. A friends car was stolen but that's what happens when you leave your car unlocked and the keys in it. Car was found within a couple of hours mind and the chap who did it was known to Gardai.

Like every area in Ireland there is a level of crime. What it is I've absolutely no idea as I said I've had an extremely pleasant time and I would not move out of the area if you paid me. Simply put I love living there.

Riff raff I've not really experienced anything serious and given the tight knit community that is present most tends to be dealt with or moved on. The worst I've seen is a few kids hanging around Dunnes or that but pretty harmless. We did launch the Blessington Youth Project in recent times that works with teenagers to get them active in the community and engage them. From working with that I know who the few trouble makers are but gradually I think the program is working.

I've friends living in Woodleigh and that's a nice spot by all accounts. Downshire is a lovely estate as is Burgage where I know some others as well. A more established area would be the likes of WestPark which I've heard is also very nice.

Pubs, social, restaurants etc... is what you expect from a small country town and if you're looking for more later nightlife or a wider variety Naas is always good for a night out and not that expensive in a cab. Always easy to get as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Hi there,

I've lived in Blessington for over 10 years now and seem to have had a completely opposite experience to the poster above. I don't live in Deerpark mind so I've no idea what that estate is like. Personally speaking I've never experienced any sort of crime inflicted on myself. A friends car was stolen but that's what happens when you leave your car unlocked and the keys in it. Car was found within a couple of hours mind and the chap who did it was known to Gardai.

Like every area in Ireland there is a level of crime. What it is I've absolutely no idea as I said I've had an extremely pleasant time and I would not move out of the area if you paid me. Simply put I love living there.

Riff raff I've not really experienced anything serious and given the tight knit community that is present most tends to be dealt with or moved on. The worst I've seen is a few kids hanging around Dunnes or that but pretty harmless. We did launch the Blessington Youth Project in recent times that works with teenagers to get them active in the community and engage them. From working with that I know who the few trouble makers are but gradually I think the program is working.

I've friends living in Woodleigh and that's a nice spot by all accounts. Downshire is a lovely estate as is Burgage where I know some others as well. A more established area would be the likes of WestPark which I've heard is also very nice.

Pubs, social, restaurants etc... is what you expect from a small country town and if you're looking for more later nightlife or a wider variety Naas is always good for a night out and not that expensive in a cab. Always easy to get as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement