Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Rent in Dublin

Options
  • 17-12-2015 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all,

From the start of March 2016 to the end of August 2016, I will be working in Dublin City and am currently looking for accommodation.

The company with whom I will be working are located quite near to a stop on the Red Line so I would obviously be looking at a place close to the red line.

Another priority would be that I would prefer to be close to the city because I've heard from friends that they were stuck in the city after a night out as they had missed the last luas (not sure what time, I assume it is quite early).

I wouldn't mind paying for a taxi on a night out back to my accommodation but obviously I wouldn't want to spend ridiculous money on a taxi on a night out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Hi, it's a bit early to be looking for somewhere, you really have to be here so best thing might be to get an AirB&B type place when you arrive and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Agree on the air bnb approach. Also keep in mind, with the rental shortages as they are, short term rental might be hard to find, especially if you have specific requirements on location...etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Rent a room is going to be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Will you be using a car, or dependent on Public Transport?

That can either expand or contract your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Sigerson

Will you be using a car, or dependent on Public Transport?

That can either expand or contract your options.

I can do either!

I will have a car but just thought it would save time if I were to get the luas into the city.

I'm not sure if there are facilities like a Park & Ride which I could use that would get me on the Red Line.

Obviously I don't want to have to stay very far outside the city either as I've mentioned about going home from nights out.

• Advertisement

Can you give an idea of what stop on the Red Line? not exact but near enough might help us to help you!

Can you give an idea of what stop on the Red Line? not exact but near enough might help us to help you!

Mayor Square

Sigerson wrote: »
    Mayor Square

Well now, we are down to your budget for rental.

Any hints there that might help? Renting in and around IFSC is very high cost. But there are options!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It really is too early to be searching and as has already been pointed out, short term lets are hard to come by. Sharing with an owner occupier probably the most straight forward way of agreeing a let of that duration

Well now, we are down to your budget for rental.

Any hints there that might help? Renting in and around IFSC is very high cost. But there are options!

See that's the thing, I haven't received my placement contract yet so I don't know what my wage will be. Until then I suppose I can't make a decision as to how much I can afford to pay for rent.

• Advertisement

See that's the thing, I haven't received my placement contract yet so I don't know what my wage will be. Until then I suppose I can't make a decision as to how much I can afford to pay for rent.

Maybe return here when you have more information about that. There will be help available!

Early days, but it's good you are trying to get your bearings at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

Just to say Mayor Square is the heart of the IFSC. You will also ne close to Connolly station for DART services as well as several bus routes and cycling is always an option.

Rent is expensive in Dublin, can't imagine you will get a double room in a share anywhere less than 500 (could be wrong) for a one bed apartment you will be looking at the 1,000 bracket.

Areas like Smithfield, Kilmainham, Inchicore all on red line luas not to far out (parts of inchicore are rough but the Kilmainham end is nice) I commuted from Islandbridge by bike, 20/25 min cycle, straight flat road. Drumcondra is also a nice spot and you can walk to IFSC in 30 minutes or get a train. All those areas you could walk home if you were really stuck at night. But equally a taxi would be less than €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Mayor Square
    That's actually only a couple of minutes walk from Connolly, so including areas covered by the Dart and buses that stop around Connolly/Busáras will open up your options a lot more.

So I'll be on a €30k salary but the placement is for 6 months. I've been told to look at Steelworks Apartments, apparently they're decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

So I'll be on a €30k salary but the placement is for 6 months. I've been told to look at Steelworks Apartments, apparently they're decent enough.

If they're the ones on Foley Street, no they're not decent. See this thread : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057519709
    They're a bit of a trap, they look like lovely units in a central location with low rent, but that's because the area is a complete kip. You can do better.

Look elsewhere. On your salary you will probably have to share with roomates.

Hi all,

We're looking at a place on St. Mary's road in Crumlin now.

Does anyone know what sort of an area is this?

Also, what would the easiest way to get into the city in the morning would be? Is there perhaps a park-and-ride facility, or a luas stop or something?

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Hi all,

We're looking at a place on St. Mary's road in Crumlin now.

Does anyone know what sort of an area is this?

Also, what would the easiest way to get into the city in the morning would be? Is there perhaps a park-and-ride facility, or a luas stop or something?

Much appreciated.

The Luas is a bit of a walk from there, maybe 20 minutes, although there's plenty of buses that run down the Crumlin Road into the city which is just around the corner from St. Mary's Road.

Crumlin's not the best, but it's not the worst either.

Hi all,

My friend and I are looking for a 2 bedroom place if there's any around, but if a 3 or 4 bedroom was available then we can get 2 others to fall in with us.

Our biggest problems have been trying to find a place that will give us a place for only the 6 MONTHS we're up in Dublin.

Also, a secure parking space is essential.

Thanks again.

You either need to look at short stay, probably serviced apartments or you need to rent rooms. Very few LLs are going to entertain 6 month leases. You're going to create an absolute mess for yourself if you latch onto two randomers and try and lease a 3/4 bed place. I'd find a house share with two rooms if I were you.

You either need to look at short stay, probably serviced apartments or you need to rent rooms. Very few LLs are going to entertain 6 month leases. You're going to create an absolute mess for yourself if you latch onto two randomers and try and lease a 3/4 bed place. I'd find a house share with two rooms if I were you.

I've just looked at a few short stay places and they're all around €100 a night, are they all this expensive?

• Advertisement

I've just looked at a few short stay places and they're all around €100 a night, are they all this expensive?

Short stay are pricey as they tend to be aimed either at tourists or corporate visitors.

In other words I'm f**ked so! LOL

I'm going to end up living in the car at this stage!

House share your best bet. Daft.ie has a sharing section

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Have you looked around Blanchardstown Dublin 15, you have the train lines and also good bus routes into town

I don't understand why you're not looking at house shares. You seem to be willing to move in with strangers in a 3/4 bed.

You need to be in situ in Dublin. Get here, preferably without all your stuff, if you have to bring it get it in storage so you're mobile (if it's easily transportable just keep it with you). Get into a hostel or AirBnB for the first two weeks and then find somewhere on DAFT. Be ready to move in straight away.

You'll make it harder on yourselves looking for two rooms in the same house, but in some cases a LL might be delighted to rent two rooms at the sametime, mostly though it's one room at a time.

If an employer is moving you over it's entirely unreasonable for them not to be putting you in a hotel for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

If an employer is moving you over it's entirely unreasonable for them not to be putting you in a hotel for a couple of weeks.

I could stay 5 nights at B&B and they paid, ended up with shared house, worst experience I ever had in my life.

I don't like sharing a house.

Asmooh wrote: »
    I could stay 5 nights at B&B and they paid, ended up with shared house, worst experience I ever had in my life.

I don't like sharing a house.

You need to rent an apartment then at €1000+ per month and assign the lease at the end of 6 months or (probably 'and' knowing some cowboy LL's) lose the deposit. Alternatively you need a corporate let at c. €2000 a month.

The choice is certainly yours. You use a bit of common sense in selecting who you're sharing with. It might mean attending 50+ viewings, thems the breaks.

Have you looked around Blanchardstown Dublin 15, you have the train lines and also good bus routes into town

IMHO it's got a lot in it's own area (Paypal etc.). While I've an admitted vested interest as I rent a room out there (currently occupied :pac:) North Suburban Dublin is my advice. A better DART service, under a score in a Taxi in the D5 area from town and doesn't have large local employers like D15 and South Co. Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

You need to rent an apartment then at €1000+ per month and assign the lease at the end of 6 months or (probably 'and' knowing some cowboy LL's) lose the deposit. Alternatively you need a corporate let at c. €2000 a month.

The choice is certainly yours. You use a bit of common sense in selecting who you're sharing with. It might mean attending 50+ viewings, thems the breaks.

well my studio will be for rent starting april because im moving to belfast :)
    650 / month in leixlip.

But yes, I understand the costs.. just don't like to live with strangers :) In the Netherlands you can get a 2 bedroom appartement quite central for about 400 euros/month. So moving to Ireland and sharing a house is really bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Asmooh wrote: »
    well my studio will be for rent starting april because im moving to belfast :)
    650 / month in leixlip.

But yes, I understand the costs.. just don't like to live with strangers :) In the Netherlands you can get a 2 bedroom appartement quite central for about 400 euros/month. So moving to Ireland and sharing a house is really bad

Not in Amsterdam you can't!
    A double room in a house-share here (Dublin) will cost between 5-650 pcm plus all bills - a single appartment is the most expensive and tiniest option - hence most people wanting a 2 bed appartment & a share, or a large house with garden, garage, storage & bigger rooms as a share - where at least you should have a large size kitchen and seperate living room or rooms and maybe a utility too. Thats Ireland.

Advertisement