Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what SSD specs to look for?

Options
  • 17-12-2015 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Lads hi,

I'm starting this thread cos i havnt a clue regarding whats up to date with hardware.

I have a D510mo mini itx board and I'd like to get an SSD for it, 250gb or similar if possible, but less if thats not realistic.

Problem is, I can look online, but I've no idea whats considered good read/write speeds etc.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

As an aside, if i wanted to get a more powerful mini itx board, but thats still fairley thrifty with power, has anyone seen any nice ones?

regards to all,
    redd .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Redd4 wrote: »
    Lads hi,

I'm starting this thread cos i havnt a clue regarding whats up to date with hardware.

I have a D510mo mini itx board and I'd like to get an SSD for it, 250gb or similar if possible, but less if thats not realistic.

Problem is, I can look online, but I've no idea whats considered good read/write speeds etc.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

As an aside, if i wanted to get a more powerful mini itx board, but thats still fairley thrifty with power, has anyone seen any nice ones?

regards to all,
    redd .

It depends on what you are using it for. any of the recent samsung/crucial/sandisk SSDs would be decent, the better models are 400+MB/s write and 500+MB/s read. To be honest though i see very little difference in day to day usage between the different SSDs i have (samsung,crucial and kingston), as it is the low access times which make everything snappy. The fast reads and writes only come into their own when doing a lot of large reads and writes.

You can get mini-itx boards with the standard consumer sockets (Socket 1150 and 1151). So depending on how much power you want you can get low TDP quad core chips (denoted by the suffix S or T) which will use less power..

An example of this is the quad core i5 4590T which has a 35 Watt TDP compared to the standard 4590 which has a TDP of 84 Watts. Its a bit slower than the standard one (lower clockspeed and turbo) but would have plenty of power for video transcoding etc.

Advertisement