Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage application question

Options
  • 17-12-2015 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi All,

Quick question, if anyone could help it'd be great!

Myself and my O/H are both in full time permanent jobs and saving, but my O/H wishes to switch jobs.

If she lands a job that is on a contract basis e.g. for one year, two years, three years, etc. will this nullify our chances of getting a mortgage together?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Hi, me and my o/h are both working, whilst mine is permanent full time hers is yearly rolling contracts, but is a very safe job, it's just how they operate. We've recently applied for a mortgage and were told it would be fine as we've been with our respective employers 10 years and 2 years. We are qualified too which helps, they took note of degrees diploma etc. Hope to hear from the bank after Xmas, only applied last Tuesday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SeanPuddin_

Industry sector would have the biggest influence in the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭howtolive

Hi All,

Thanks very much!

@Santy2015: Thanks for the detail, I've seen your thread pop up and you's are doing a good job :) I guess that she is there two years is a plus point, by the time we'd be applying for a mortgage my O/H would be just out of probation (assuming a 6 month probationary period).

@SeanPuddin_: Good point, my O/H would be looking for a starter level office job, but is pretty open sector wise, are there any sectors you'd know of that are considered safer bets? E.g. logistics, e-commerce, etc?

A good job is right but waiting for an answer is torture haha. We said it to ourselves after, why did we apply 2 weeks before Christmas knowing full well in the back of our minds that we'd be waiting till the 2nd week in January. It's done now and that's the main thing. Probation is one thing they did look at even with her being in her job nearly 2 years. She's in childcare so we're a safe bet with that.... I think

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭howtolive

Cheers man hopefully it works out for all of us :-)

• Advertisement

Thanks, we were told we needed to save around 16/17k before they'll approve us. That would cover our main costs.

Advertisement