Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mooneys Shop Closing

Options
  • 17-12-2015 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Just saw this in the Greystones Guide.
    Link

Anybody know what will replace it?

McDonalds maybe :cool: :cool: ha ha

Sad to see it going, I hope whoever buys it maintains the character and facade.
    A really nice woman, Mrs. Mooney.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

That's a damn shame... pretty much all I can say on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Had to happen sometime - the end of an era

The comments on FB are a delight to read - the woman is a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's already a coffee shop next door - pub maybe? "Old Mrs. Mooney's Tavern"

Greystones apparently has fewer pubs per head of population than any other town in Ireland: http://thomas.bibby.ie/where-in-ireland-has-the-most-pubs-per-person/ so we could do with another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

loyatemu wrote: »

Greystones apparently has fewer pubs per head of population than any other town in Ireland: http://thomas.bibby.ie/where-in-ireland-has-the-most-pubs-per-person/ so we could do with another one.

We could def do with a decent Pub in Greystones.. the list to choose from is pretty grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

As stated above, a real end of an era for native Greystones folk. I hope she enjoys her retirement.

Where will I get my Mr. Freeze's, dib-dabs and bags of Hot Lips now?!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Greystones apparently has fewer pubs per head of population than any other town in Ireland: http://thomas.bibby.ie/where-in-ireland-has-the-most-pubs-per-person/
    Should we celebrate this result, or drown our sorrows?
    Either way, it calls for a drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

recedite wrote: »
    Should we celebrate this result, or drown our sorrows?
    Either way, it calls for a drink!

The link says four Pubs, The Burnaby, Beach House and Mrs Robinsons.... whats the fourth?

Only moved here a couple of months ago, not far from Mrs Mooneys store, She gets on likd she has known me her whole life. Lovely Lady.

neckedit wrote:
    The link says four Pubs, The Burnaby, Beach House and Mrs Robinsons.... whats the fourth?

Charlesland Golf & Country Club is the other one listed in the spreadsheet, I suppose you could also count the Carrig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Charlesland Golf & Country Club is the other one listed in the spreadsheet, I suppose you could also count the Carrig.

Ha.... Im a member and I never thought of it ....

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

A nice gastropub with craft beers would be nice! However, that close to a school??..,Can you - and should you - be able to have a pub!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What the?

That site isnt suitable for a pub at all

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

What the?

Don't see why not, there's a nice paved area out the front that would catch the sun on summer's evenings (La Touche Wines does a roaring trade just over the bridge on nice evenings). The building isn't huge but not every pub has to be a vast airport lounge like the Burnaby.

What the?

I'm presuming the suggestion was tongue in cheek? Esp in light of the recent controversy over what we allow near our local schools!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Shazerina wrote: »
    I'm presuming the suggestion was tongue in cheek? Esp in light of the recent controversy over what we allow near our local schools!
    If they don't sell burgers it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Don't see why not, there's a nice paved area out the front that would catch the sun on summer's evenings (La Touche Wines does a roaring trade just over the bridge on nice evenings). The building isn't huge but not every pub has to be a vast airport lounge like the Burnaby.

I've nothing against the Burnaby but I totally agree. It'd be a great location for a characterful pub. It's a lovely building- be a great spot for anything I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Gastro Pub?? that made me LOL.

You mean a pub that serves food? in Greystones, gosh now where would we find one of those.

But I know you were being 'hip' and looking for burgers made of marshmallow or something...

The Beach House was too cold, the Burnaby too big, Mrs. Robinson's too crusty but the new pub was just right (according to Trip Advisor but I have never been there myself)...

We could really do with a Zambian pebble emporium I have to go to Cork to get mine at the moment and it would make a great addition to the town...

Needless to say this thread disappeared up its own arse several posts ago.

Farewell Mrs. Mooney...

Gastro Pub?? that made me LOL.

You mean a pub that serves food? in Greystones, gosh now where would we find one of those.

But I know you were being 'hip' and looking for burgers made of marshmallow or something...

The Beach House was too cold, the Burnaby too big, Mrs. Robinson's too crusty but the new pub was just right (according to Trip Advisor but I have never been there myself)...

We could really do with a Zambian pebble emporium I have to go to Cork to get mine at the moment and it would make a great addition to the town...

Farewell Mrs. Mooney...

Blandpebbles- lots to respond to in your post.
    "Gastro Pub?? that made me LOL."
    Delighted to have brought a smile to your face!

"You mean a pub that serves food? in Greystones, gosh now where would we find one of those."
    I was thinking more of a place where the food was of equal importance as the drink rather than a pub that served food. Probably getting into petty semantics here, and for the record I have nothing against either The Burbaby nor The Beach House, and have had grand pub food in both. But IMHO not good pub food. And the omni present screens do tend to detract from a meal rather than add to it, again IMHO.

"But I know you were being 'hip' and looking for burgers made of marshmallow or something..."
    It's been quite a while - indeed, if ever - since I was accused of being 'hip'. Not sure if I should be flattered or insulted! And I have never tried a marshmallow burger myself - would you recommend them??

"We could really do with a Zambian pebble emporium I have to go to Cork to get mine at the moment and it would make a great addition to the town..."
    Well, there is a stone gallery/shop already, isn't there?

"Farewell Mrs. Mooney... "Absolutely. I wish her well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

Moved out of Greystones a long time ago but always used to get my sweets in Mooneys as a kid. The la touche on the main street for toys and the tobacconist further down the main street for comics. All gone now. My mum still dropped into Mooneys after mass every Sunday.

Advertisement