Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Cork / Kerry mountains

Options
  • 17-12-2015 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi.

Can anyone recommend a good mountain to climb in west cork or Kerry. Would like to buy my wife a present of night in nearb hotel. We are experienced enough but not as experienced for carrantouhil

Suggestions much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Get a hotel in Killarney and go up Mangerton.

There is no shortage of hotels in Killarney.

It's an uneventful climb up Mangerton with great views from the top on a clear day. Nice views of the Devil's Punchbowl (corrie lake) in any weather. Even quite unfit people could make it up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

The_fever wrote: »
    Hi.

Can anyone recommend a good mountain to climb in west cork or Kerry. Would like to buy my wife a present of night in nearb hotel. We are experienced enough but not as experienced for carrantouhil

Think if I told my wife her present was going up a mountain it would not end well....:D

Base yourself in Killarney or Kenmare, Kenmare nearer Cahas and Dunkerrons which are fantastic ranges but probably a bit remote for starting off. Some nice walks include Mangerton, the Paps, Torc and Purple Mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The_fever wrote: »
    Hi.

Mount Brandon, it's a gentle stroll up from the west, not too bad up the pater noster lakes from Cloghane either

Galtymore is a gentle climb from the south
    It's signed from kilbeheny on the old road from Mitchelstown to Cahir
    Accommodation should be available in either of those towns as a left field suggestion

Advertisement