Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restles, crying dog

• 17-12-2015 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

Bob is behaving very oddly so I'm looking for suggestions as to why. For the last few nights he's been coming into me at around 8 and jumping up on the bed. He then starts to try to lick my face and then starts to cry... He seems really restless and jumps on and off the bed crying for about an hour. It usually stops when he's let out for a pee at about 9, but we tried letting him out earlier and he has a different behaviour for needing to pee so I don't think that's it.

He doesn't seem to be in pain, and is well able to leap on and off the bed. I thought he was just bored as he's been a bit neglected in the last few weeks since my accident, but the last two days my dad has taken him out to the 6 acre very hilly garden and played tennis ball for about an hour. I know it's not the same as a walk but for a 13 year old dog its usually enough to tire him out.

He has plently going on during the day as he usually spends it pottering round doing jobs with my dad. His routine was really disrupted a few weeks ago while my parents were unavoidably leaving him alone during the day, but since I've come home the three of us have been in the house with him all day. He wanders in and out to me during the day but this behaviour never happens until the evening.

Hes at it here again as I type and I just can't figure it out... has anybody any ideas what might be wrong and how I might settle him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

TG1 wrote: »
    For the last few nights he's been coming into me at around 8 and jumping up on the bed. ..........It usually stops when he's let out for a pee at about 9

to me it sounds like he is trying to tell you he needs to go out to the toilet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

is he an anxious type? the fact that you are in bed, when he is in another room - hes could be bothered about that? Wants you to get up out of bed, and be with him?? Sorry if that seems daft - but my dog HATES when Im somewhere other than with him at the fire at night :p Maybe he IS bored? If you have definitely ruled out the need to go out to the loo, could there be something causing him to get agitated at 8pm? e.g. is there a car coming home nearby? or a truck rattling by? or something like a siren (we live near a resevoir, where the siren goes off when they open the gates), or some dogs barking nearby??

Im reading an interesting book called INSIDE OF A DOG (what dogs see, smell and know) By ALEXANDRA HOROWITZ, in an attempt to work out what the heck dogs are saying to me (or not)!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

aonb wrote: »

Im reading an interesting book called INSIDE OF A DOG (what dogs see, smell and know) By ALEXANDRA HOROWITZ, in an attempt to work out what the heck dogs are saying to me (or not)!!!!!!!!!!!

No, he has a very definite "sit by the door and yelp like a helpless puppy" behaviour when he thinks we've forgotten he needs the loo, this is a different thing altogether.

He always was a worrier, and on walks years ago would engage in herding behaviour if we split up, so it's possibly that he is giving out that we are in different rooms but it was never an issue before in the house when the whole family lived at home.

I haven't been living in the same house as him for a year now and have only moved back a few weeks ago, so he could be just readjusting, but it seems really frantic. He really leaps at the bed and flings himself off it again. He has never really been a licker either, that behaviour is totally new...

I don't think anything particular happens at that time, but I'll be on the lookout tonight.

He was a livewire when he was younger but in the last few years he's quitened and is now a very placid calm boy, so I hate to think he's really worrying about something and I'm ignoring it!

Ooh, I've time on my hands at the mo, must give that book a look up, I'd love to get into his furry little head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

A sweet little house mouse perhaps? Though the weather's hardly cold enough...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Dubl07 wrote: »
    A sweet little house mouse perhaps? Though the weather's hardly cold enough...

It hasn't stopped our little furry friends coming in here... one loves the warmth so much he hangs out near the lit stove!

• Advertisement

TG1 wrote: »
    No, he has a very definite "sit by the door and yelp like a helpless puppy" behaviour when he thinks we've forgotten he needs the loo, this is a different thing altogether.

He always was a worrier, and on walks years ago would engage in herding behaviour if we split up, so it's possibly that he is giving out that we are in different rooms but it was never an issue before in the house when the whole family lived at home.

I haven't been living in the same house as him for a year now and have only moved back a few weeks ago, so he could be just readjusting, but it seems really frantic. He really leaps at the bed and flings himself off it again. He has never really been a licker either, that behaviour is totally new...

I don't think anything particular happens at that time, but I'll be on the lookout tonight.

He was a livewire when he was younger but in the last few years he's quitened and is now a very placid calm boy, so I hate to think he's really worrying about something and I'm ignoring it!

Ooh, I've time on my hands at the mo, must give that book a look up, I'd love to get into his furry little head!

If you think you're interested in this book, PM me your address, and I'll pop it in the post to you when Ive finished :)!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

to me it sounds like he is trying to tell you he needs to go out to the toilet

In fairness, the next part of that sentence reads "but we tried letting him out earlier and he has a different behaviour for needing to pee so I don't think that's it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bailey is a bit like this atm.. There's 3 houses being renovated on the road at the same time with one two doors down from us and the noise has us all driven mad! The guys are all arriving when we go for our morning walk around 7 and you could set your watch to them - the second the clock strikes 8:00 the noise begins and continues until the evening - they're hammering away now. He's unsettled in the house and on walks - especially on the road because there's skips or might be trucks etc which he doesn't like. He cries to go out and and comes back in straight away or what drives my mum mad - stands with his head sticking out the door and his bum inside lol! He hurt himself a few weeks ago and has been on short walks the last week so tiring him out with excercise isn't an option. I've tried to stick to his routine as mush as possible and have been putting his football away in the morning and taking it out for him in the evening after they have their evening treat (either a chew or big biscuit) - he'll often sit with the ball in his mouth for hours and then fall asleep. Yesterday evening nothing would console him until I put on his anxiety vest and he passed out straight away!!

Is your dog used to anything happening at that time OP that he might be expecting? Could you maybe try a Kong or something to distract him? I wonder if he's just sensing you're sick because my two did when I was sick last week and were glued to me! Maybe something like lavender or Adaptil would soothe him?

If you think you're interested in this book, PM me your address, and I'll pop it in the post to you when Ive finished :)!!

You're so good! As it turns out my sister in law has it so it's on the way as I type! Thanks a mill though!

tk123 wrote: »

Is your dog used to anything happening at that time OP that he might be expecting? Could you maybe try a Kong or something to distract him? I wonder if he's just sensing you're sick because my two did when I was sick last week and were glued to me! Maybe something like lavender or Adaptil would soothe him?

I was up the night before last watching some Sherlock and he was the same in the sitting room, crying and pawing at me and lunging at the couch... last night I was in bed and he was leaping up and down until my dad put him out.

Id love to give him credit for sensing I wasn't 100% but Im starting to think he's just getting frustrated that I won't play with him!! I'm usually the one to bring him on nice walks, play fetch, brush him etc. So I think he's just fed up of me being boring!

I'll try to hop outside later and throw a ball for a while and see what he's like tonight!

• Advertisement

That could be it! my husband has gotten into the habit of playing with our youngest dog for a little bit after dinner is finished... now he sits and whines when my husband is finished eating, until he gets up and plays with him! Anticipation and routine are everything to a dog!! Be careful hopping outside!! You could do some mind-games indoors from the couch with him: wrap a piece of kibble very tightly into some sheets of newspaper and let him rip them up. Put a piece of kibble in a little cardboard box to get it open. Teach him to fetch an object that you throw across the room. Play tug of war with an old sock or teddy - with you on the couch and him on the floor. Take a little teddy, and 'hide' it under the cushion, under the sofa, under a mat on the floor - my fool dog LOVES this one!

Well, I don't know did we solve the problem or just tire him out enough to ignore the problem but I took a few of your suggestions on board aonb and Bob and his creepy green monkey have been sleeping peacefully beside me for the last hour!:) Hide the creepy monkey was a favourite!

3639161f-062f-4da9-8874-e9af94281929_zpsgmk6lhti.jpg~original

TG1 maybe he just needed you to give him some attention, and some "me" time, and to play with him. My poor little fool, gets very agitated when his routine falls apart. Maybe its just that Bob loves his human, and his play time is very much part of that relationship - and when walks/play with his human are on hold he's upset/agitated/confused? I was going to say maybe he is spoiled rotten, and was having a hissy fit to get you to play with him!!! :D

You will have to come up with some new games that you can manage from the bed/sofa while convalescing - Im sure theres a website that will provide suggestions!

Love the "creepy monkey"! We have a "brown teddy" - us dog lovers are just pathetic arent we

I was going to say maybe he is spoiled rotten, and was having a hissy fit to get you to play with him!!! :D

You will have to come up with some new games that you can manage from the bed/sofa while convalescing - Im sure theres a website that will provide suggestions!

Love the "creepy monkey"! We have a "brown teddy" - us dog lovers are just pathetic arent we

The crossed out bit is bang on I'd say. He was got for me as a teenager, then I moved out and left him with my parents. As a result over the last few years any time I've come to visit I've come armed with new toys and treats and brushes and spent the weekend on the beach with him to ease the abandonment guilt! This time I just came with a wheelchair and a grumpy attitude! I'd say the poor boy just got sick of it!

I was really worried though as he's usually a really independent "I'll do my own thing" collie type and he got really whingy and clingy but a bit of quality time each night with him and the creepy monkey seems to have settled him again...

He's just a brat really and I'm pandering to him, but it's good to know I'm not the only pathetic dog owner out there!!!

Advertisement