Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Star Wars EU books

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I actually bought it, got about halfway through it, and refunded it. I didn't actually like the story much, which only made the voice acting worse. I've really gone off the novels in this new EU. I think I'm 4 behind at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Yeah, they've definitely been a disappointment lately. I'm nearly finished Last Shot, the Han and Lando book, and it's been a real struggle. I miss reading about Luke but it seems they're not allowed near him for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Yeah, they've definitely been a disappointment lately. I'm nearly finished Last Shot, the Han and Lando book, and it's been a real struggle. I miss reading about Luke but it seems they're not allowed near him for the moment.

I really liked "The Legends of Luke Skywalker" that came out - not a full novel as such but should feed your Luke cravings

Isn't that aimed at a YA readership? Not that it's a bad thing, just that I'd be more into something with a bit more substance to it.

Going back to Last Shot, it's easily the worst book I've read since the reboot of the EU. The constant jumping back and forth in the timeline is incredibly annoying. I think I'll just start from Heir to the Empire and make my way through the good books all over again!

Isn't that aimed at a YA readership? Not that it's a bad thing, just that I'd be more into something with a bit more substance to it.

Going back to Last Shot, it's easily the worst book I've read since the reboot of the EU. The constant jumping back and forth in the timeline is incredibly annoying. I think I'll just start from Heir to the Empire and make my way through the good books all over again!

It is, but alot of the YA books have been the most enjoyable I've found
    Lost Stars, Asohka, Leia: Princesses of Alderaan & Rebel Rising are all YA but great reads

• Advertisement

This looks interesting. But 'Alphabet Squadron' sounds a little lame!

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Star_Wars_Alphabet_Squadron_Will_Be_A_Trilogy_182898.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

wp_rathead wrote: »
    It is, but alot of the YA books have been the most enjoyable I've found
    Lost Stars, Asohka, Leia: Princesses of Alderaan & Rebel Rising are all YA but great reads

Agreed. Lost Stars was actually a really enjoyable read, and the story went through a big chunk of the Star Wars timeline, from pre ANH to post RotJ.

Ashoka was also pretty enjoyable if you know the character in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Apprentice-Star-Wars-Claudia/dp/1780899882/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=star+wars+books&qid=1555415606&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Will this be considered Canon ?

I like them going back to this time in the whole SW universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Does anyone ever listen to the audiobooks? I signed up for a free trial on Audible recently and downloaded Thrawn: Alliances ,narrated by Marc Thompson. I had been meaning to buy the novel but I thought I'd give the audiobook a try. It's wrecking my head.

It can't be an easy job having to voice several characters so I don't want to be too harsh on Thompson. But his young Anakin makes me want to scream. I know young Anakin is meant to be brattish and moody but I had enough of it in the prequels. Thrawn's voice is also incredibly annoying. I hadn't heard him in Rebels so I wasn't even familiar with what he's supposed to sound like but it's so distracting. And as for Padme...well, she's so hilariously awful that she sounds like a pantomime character.

I'm not sure I can actually listen to it anymore so maybe I'll go back to reading it with my own eyes!

Speaking of audiobooks, the Darth Plageuis one is really cool, I really like the voice of the reader on that one, and it has some mood music and sound effects - not too much, but just enough to really up the atmosphere.

I did read that book a few years ago, but I have been listening to the audiobook lately - it's great.

It's on YouTube, don't wanna link, just in case of copyright

Dark Disciple was one of the books that slipped away from me after it was released, just caught it recently on audio. Great story although I did find the idea of the Jedi Council authorising assassination quite laughable! But Quinlan Vos is a great character.

• Advertisement

Dark Disciple was one of the books that slipped away from me after it was released, just caught it recently on audio. Great story although I did find the idea of the Jedi Council authorising assassination quite laughable! But Quinlan Vos is a great character.

would have been a brilliant Clone Wars arc

anyone got their hands on Alphabet Squad yet?
    i've heard good things about it

Advertisement