Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Drone S.I 2015

Options
  • 18-12-2015 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Just been reading through the new regulations.

https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/small-unmanned-aircraft-(drones)-and-rockets-order-s-i-563-of-2015.pdf

Clearly this has serious ramifications for the r.c hobby. Even clubs flying at approved sites will now be severely restricted. For example it specifically excludes models less than 1kg add long as they are flown less than 15m above ground. I see nothing which makes any difference if you are flying on your own private property. Let's face it, very few models will always remain below 15m. Then they mention approved training courses. Will a MACI A Cert be approved? I totally get that appropriate regulation is required however I think this new regulation has the potential to totally spoil the hobby for those of us who fly responsibly. In my view stiffer penalties for the eejits who have caused the authority to act by flying near commercial air traffic and pulling other stupid stunts would have had the desired effect.

Another view might be that these regulations could be a blessing for responsible r.c pilots. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

What in particular are you concerned with? The 300m horizontal distance/120m vertical? Otherwise unless you want to fly in built up areas there's no training or licencing required. I think it's a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    Otherwise unless you want to fly in built up areas there's no training or licencing required. I think it's a good move.

Actually that's not the case. If the model is < 1kg you do not need to register or get training, but you may not fly it above 15m (Section 2.c of the S.I.). Any model over 1kg needs to be registered. If you want to fly above 15m you need to register irrespective of the weight. If the model weighs more than 4kg you have to get safety training. If anyone can read the S.I and tell me I got it wrong?

For example, I like to fly ultra micro warbirds. I used to go to local football pitches late in the evening when there is no one around. From Monday, if I go above 15m I'll be breaking the law unless I register the model.

... BTW I'm not saying the new S.I. is a bad thing, I'm just asking the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

That's pretty much the jist of what I make of it too.

Gremlin wrote: »
    Actually that's not the case. If the model is < 1kg you do not need to register or get training, but you may not fly it above 15m (Section 2.c of the S.I.). Any model over 1kg needs to be registered. If you want to fly above 15m you need to register irrespective of the weight. If the model weighs more than 4kg you have to get safety training. If anyone can read the S.I and tell me I got it wrong?

For example, I like to fly ultra micro warbirds. I used to go to local football pitches late in the evening when there is no one around. From Monday, if I go above 15m I'll be breaking the law unless I register the model.

... BTW I'm not saying the new S.I. is a bad thing, I'm just asking the question.

OK, you don't like having to register? I don't see the problem with it, sounds completely painless and it's free for the next couple of months I think, €5 thereafter. Just need to put a sticker on whatever you are flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Just at first glance it seems like a reasonably sensible set of rules/regs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CorEire

I think its a generally good idea. You'd hope that once the owner knows that there is a number on it to identify them that they'll be responsible with how they fly it. Although the people who are going to be wreckless anyway and don't really care will just not bother registering it in the first place so it won't help in that situation.
    A lot of the rules are just common sense. The only part that I have an issue with is the "Don't operate unless you have permission from the landowner for take-off and landing". I to like fly in the middle of nowhere when I see a nice view or halfway up a mountain etc. and that rule is just a bit difficult to always stick to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

If I have a model less than 1kg and I keep it below 15m am I exempt from everything ?

Sounds like an FPV challenge in the making ?

SB

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    If I have a model less than 1kg and I keep it below 15m am I exempt from everything ?

Sounds like an FPV challenge in the making ?

SB

The only thing I have that will stay within those limits is a 250 racing quad, everything else that I have I'll have to register. I'll just register it anyway though. Not worth having to think about keeping it under 15m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I think the challenge of building a long range <1kg quad is too much I will have to give it a go.

I think that 2 km FPV should be no issue, rules drive innovation.

SB

CorEire wrote: »
    Although the people who are going to be wreckless anyway and don't really care will just not bother registering it in the first place so it won't help in that situation.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

That's my main problem with these regs. I certainly have no problem registering my models and remaining within the rules. So the only people affected by this are responsible flyers. The idiots carry on regardless.

If they put some weight behind the existing rules placing heavy fines on inappropriate use, a few of these guys would think twice before flying their quad up the main street on a Saturday afternoon. Couple of hundred euro fines dished out in a high profile manner and plastered over the main stream media would have a lot of value IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It's a PR exercise to be seen to do something, unless they make changes and actually resource enforcement then it's pointless.

I was a conference earlier in the year which was mainly to do with data protection and privacy and drones were covered, a talk went over the rules at that time and a guest asked the speaker if the IAA had actually enforced those rules, the answer was no, the only known incident was them warning some clown who kept flying a drone near an airport.

My worry is when I register my drone in my rural area and others don't and then some other ejit goes flying it around nearest village like a clown and someone reports it to IAA the only registered drone in that area could be mine which could lead to a belief it was me.

The different documents on the regulations seem to disagree on the distance that you need to maintain from structures or people.

"at a distance of less than 30 metres from a person, vessel, vehicle or structure not under the direct control of the operator" is stated as the distance in S.I. 563.

"within 120m of any person, vessel or structure not under the control of the person operating the drone" is stated in their Q&A document about the regulations. It's also in their Do and Don't list.

In S.I. 563, the only reference I can find to staying 120m from people is "at a distance of less than 120 metres from an assembly of 12 or more persons not under the direct control of the operator".

CorEire wrote: »
    The different documents on the regulations seem to disagree on the distance that you need to maintain from structures or people.

"at a distance of less than 30 metres from a person, vessel, vehicle or structure not under the direct control of the operator" is stated as the distance in S.I. 563.

"within 120m of any person, vessel or structure not under the control of the person operating the drone" is stated in their Q&A document about the regulations. It's also in their Do and Don't list.

In S.I. 563, the only reference I can find to staying 120m from people is "at a distance of less than 120 metres from an assembly of 12 or more persons not under the direct control of the operator".

Isn't the 30m only during take-off and landing?

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    Isn't the 30m only during take-off and landing?

The 30m is at all times. Here's the full quote from S.I. 563:
    (5) A person who has charge of the operation of a small unmanned aircraft
    which has a mass of less than 25 kilograms, without fuel but including any
    articles or equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft and including cargo
    at the commencement of its flight shall not allow such an aircraft to be flown,
    unless otherwise permitted by the Authority and subject to such conditions as
    are required by such permission:

(a) within a prohibited area, a restricted area, or controlled airspace;
    (b) in Air Traffic Services airspace, other than controlled airspace, within
    5km of an aerodrome during periods of aircraft operations, unless the
    aerodrome operator has given permission;
    (c) at a distance of less than 30 metres from a person, vessel, vehicle or
    structure not under the direct control of the operator;
    (d) at a distance of less than 120 metres from an assembly of 12 or more
    persons not under the direct control of the operator;
    (e) beyond direct unaided visual line of sight and not farther than 300
    metres from the point of operation;
    (f) at a height of more than 120 metres above the ground or water;
    (g) permitting or attempting to permit, any article or animal, whether or
    not attached to a parachute to be released from that aircraft.

I Just registered on the IAA ASSET system. Very straightforward. I haven't registered any models yet but I did look at the form again seems painless.

Advertisement