Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi-speed broadband coming to Murroe

• 18-12-2015 3:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭

The eir fibre rollout map is indicating that upgrade work is underway at the Murroe exchange for efibre broadband. The service should be available within the next 6 months.

Efibre availability and speed is dependant on distance from the exchange and line quality, max distance is 1.7kms from the exchange. Up to 70 Mbps is available close to the exchange but dropping down to approx. 7 Mbps at max distance.

Beyond 1.7kms the current adsl2 broadband continues to be the phoneline option but with stable uncongested speed night/day as the current congested microwave backhaul link will be replaced by a fibre optic cable link to the network. KN Network and eir vans have been seen working on the main road from Murroe to Limerick recently (Barringtons Bridge area).

It looks like Murroe will be efibred before nearby Cappamore and Doon even though these exchanges already have a core fibre link to the network.

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

372065.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Nearby Newport have Fibre coming from the CastleConnell Exchange and I normally get around 80mbps from a Wireless Connection to my router so likely closer to 100mbps if I was Ethernet.

Best I was getting before was about 3.5-4.0 Mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Berty wrote: »
    Nearby Newport have Fibre coming from the CastleConnell Exchange and I normally get around 80mbps from a Wireless Connection to my router so likely closer to 100mbps if I was Ethernet.

Nice speed, I'm on Munster Boadband with up to 3 Mbps.

I see Newport has 3 street cabinets plus the exchange live for efibre so you must be connected to one of the cabs to be getting that speed via wifi.

Up to 100 Mbps is only available if you're line is connected to a street/road cabinet at the moment as many/most of them use vectoring technology to increase the speed but if your line if direct-fed (df) from an exchange the max speed available is up to 70 Mbps as vectoring hasn't been enabled in them due to technical reasons, but may be available in some next year. Efibre is available on vectored lines up to a distance of 2kms while unvectored lines are limited to 1.7kms.

Murroe doesn't have any separate cabinets planned only direct feed from the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yep. The cabinet was recently placed and is at the entrance to the estate. Handy for me.

Estate is also wired for the likes of Virgin Tv or whatever they're called but they still don't offer services in Newport other than the aerial so no broadband or phone from them specifically .

Berty wrote: »
    Estate is also wired for the likes of Virgin Tv or whatever they're called but they still don't offer services in Newport other than the aerial so no broadband or phone from them specifically .

An small MMDS fed cable system I assume. The MMDS service is in the process of being wound down as the spectrum licences it uses expires April 18th next and won't be renewed, so they either switch it off completely or deliver it by another method to the cable system.

The eir retail map information had indicated eir Fibre availability within 6 weeks since mid Jan. This has now been updated this week to availability within 6 months.

https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/

According to the eir lads on the ground while the exchange is ready the backhaul fibre cable from the main Castletroy exchange is now the problem, the underground ducts are full of old obsolete cable which has to be sorted first and the main problem could be the duct under the active railway line at the Annacotty Industrial Est./Ferenka.

Also noticed on the map that neighbouring Cappamore exchange has gone from availability within 1 year to availability within 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The Cush wrote: »
    An small MMDS fed cable system I assume. The MMDS service is in the process of being wound down as the spectrum licences it uses expires April 18th next and won't be renewed, so they either switch it off completely or deliver it by another method to the cable system.

Dumb question time here but does this licence issue affect the operation of the likes of Celtic Broadband and Munster Broadband?

I reckon I'm just on the absolute extreme limit for fibre given my location outside the village, currently a Celtic Broadband customer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Dumb question time here but does this licence issue affect the operation of the likes of Celtic Broadband and Munster Broadband?

I reckon I'm just on the absolute extreme limit for fibre given my location outside the village, currently a Celtic Broadband customer.

My (poor) understanding is that the opening up of the MMDS frequencies will actually help the likes of Celtic & Munster Broadband as they'll be able to make use of the new options.

No, MMDS is licensed in the range 2500-2690 MHz (2.6 GHz band) while fixed wireless operators use licence exempt spectrum in the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz band

Clareman wrote: »
    My (poor) understanding is that the opening up of the MMDS frequencies will actually help the likes of Celtic & Munster Broadband as they'll be able to make use of the new options.

No, the spectrum cleared of MMDS will be auctioned off in due course to existing Mobile Network Operators like Vodafone, Three etc. as a 4G capacity band to their existing 800/900 MHz coverage bands. These higher frequencies provide increased data capacity in large population/urban areas where demand is greatest, aka carrier aggregation .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

The Cush wrote: »
    The eir retail map information had indicated eir Fibre availability within 6 weeks since mid Jan. This has now been updated this week to availability within 6 months.

https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/

According to the eir lads on the ground while the exchange is ready the backhaul fibre cable from the main Castletroy exchange is now the problem, the underground ducts are full of old obsolete cable which has to be sorted first and the main problem could be the duct under the active railway line at the Annacotty Industrial Est./Ferenka.

Also noticed on the map that neighbouring Cappamore exchange has gone from availability within 1 year to availability within 6 months.
    That's a balls. I taught we would finally have a decent connection by April sometime. At least the KN guys are actually on the ground this time. It was originally meant to be upgraded in Oct 2014.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
Advertisement