Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serial S2!

Options
  • 10-12-2015 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

New episode of season 2 out. Excited doesn't even cover it, but it won't download. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Same here. I'd say they're slammed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It has downloaded successfully for me using the Podcast Addict app :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Got it downloaded too .

Interesting subject but they're not going to be speaking with him just listening to tapes?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I was listening thinking that here is a soldier doing something unusual and getting caught out doing it. Then making another strange decision while out on his ramble.
    But the Taliban bombshell at the end :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

It has downloaded successfully for me using the Podcast Addict app :)

Same here. It's working fine.
    That's my drive home from work today sorted. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Don't think the lads over at SOFREP will be impressed. iirc, they don't like this guy, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭bren2001

How do you just call the Taliban?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

bren2001 wrote: »
    How do you just call the Taliban?

1800Taliban

Episode 2 should be out tomorrow yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

New episodes any good?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    New episodes any good?

Suprised there isn't more chatter on this.

Maybe this hasn't grabbed the attention of people the way the Adnan story did.
    The story does interest me, and I remember the commentary at the time, in particular the Daily Show gave it a lot of coverage.
    The way Serial is framing it, it does look like it's going to be more aimed at getting into his mind, as opposed to getting stuck into the detail.
    I can see this ending in the same way as the Adnan story did, we are none the wiser and ultimatly its the courts that will decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm enjoying it but it obviously won't grab people quite the same way Adnan's story did. I think a big part of that is because Sarah is not interviewing Bergdahl herself.

While Bergdahl's story is interesting, I'm also enjoying the insight into how American soldiers in Afghanistan lived at the time, their attitude to the search and the relationship between the locals and the Taliban.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I plan on listening to a few episodes together after several instalments have been released. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Esquire has an interesting fact about Bergdahl's life before joining the military that could be a factor in what happened:
    In 2006 he enlisted in the United States Coast Guard. After 28 days in the Coast Guard Basic Training program, Bowe Bergdahl was discharged for unspecified psychiatric reasons. His discharge was "Uncharacterized." The next year he enlisted in the Army. Then he went to Afghanistan.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Esquire has an interesting fact about Bergdahl's life before joining the military that could be a factor in what happened:

I thought that was mentioned by Sarah in one of the first two episodes but obviously not!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

Really enjoying this season so far - can't decide what to make of Bowe and his actions. Very strange decision for him to leave his base in the first place. I found episode three to be quite disturbing - he went through some awful things in captivity.

Episode 04: The Captors is available to download :)
    What's happening on the other side of the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭allybhoy

4 Episodes in, what are people's thoughts? A lot of my friends who were obsessed with season1 have been very disappointed with it, and a good few have stopped listening.

Personally Im enjoying it, it was always going to be extremely difficult to follow the phenomenon of Season 1 and it seems obvious that they had a lot less time and resources for this series but its still well produced and worth a listen.

• Advertisement

Like, say the TV series True Detective, season one and two should be treated completely separately. They are two different stories.

Yes the murder story was more gripping in season one of Serial compared to the capture of a soldier this season, but I'm still very much enjoying listening to Sarah and to the interviews. It's still produced very well. I also like listening to the title music (weird, I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Murder is always more interesting than some lad going missing. It's not a bad season so far but if they were going to do a season 3 I'd prefer if they went back to a murder case. Unsurprisingly I haven't listened to this for a few weeks as I've been side tracked by making a murderer!
    Still this show is well put together and interesting but it won't recreate the hype of the first season.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm enjoying this season. It was never gonna be as good as season one, but that was always gonna be hard to top. And as another poster said, you need to separate them as two totally different things.
    My wife was crazy about season one but she stopped listening to this season after episode two as she'd be more interested in the murder case type stories. I think if they want to have anywhere near the success of season one then they need to switch it up again in season 3 and maybe go for another murder case or an unsolved mystery or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I know it's difficult to follow up the first season but surely there was something more engaging than this? It's a well known recent story and the prosecution is ongoing. Not sure what the point of this season is.. The interviews with Bergdahl are interesting but I have no idea what Serial is adding to it..

D minus.

‘Serial’ podcast to be broadcast every two weeks

From The Irish Times:
    The fifth episode of the podcast, which had been scheduled for Thursday, will instead become available on January 21st, and that biweekly schedule will continue for the rest of the season.

Julie Snyder, an executive producer of Serial, said in an interview on Tuesday that a 14-day window between episodes was needed to accommodate additional reporting and a longer season than she anticipated. “There are more paths we need to go down,” Ms Snyder said. “Since we started broadcasting the show, we have gotten more people willing to talk, and because of that, it has opened up more avenues of reporting.”

I suppose if it increases the quality of the narrative, then that's a good thing.
    But I was looking forward to listening to an episode today! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Well that's disappointing. 2 weeks is too long to be following a story like this for me. I might just wait until it's done and listen at my own pace, was enjoying it too :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Finally caught up with episodes 2-4, very much enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It doesn't grab you like season 1, but I actually think the details are more interesting. The way the military works, afghani and pakistani relations, how afghans think westerners behave etc.
    I'm off to do drugs with a load of prostitutes. Already locked

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It doesn't grab you like season 1, but I actually think the details are more interesting. The way the military works, afghani and pakistani relations, how afghans think westerners behave etc.
    I'm off to do drugs with a load of prostitutes. Already locked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Struggling to be bothered to get back to this after the first 4 episodes. Hard to care about him and SK is just telling his story rather than interacting with him. Feels like they might just be doing this as a filler season while working on something more interesting! Or thats at least what im hoping!

Advertisement