Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best wearble tech for Trianthlons

Options
  • 18-12-2015 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi Guys
    I'm looking for advice re. wearable tech.
    I'd like something that could track my running and my cycling and possibly even swimming (if water proofing didn't up the price by a couple of hundred).

It seems to me that things go from FitBit level (v . little interest in just measuring my steps tbh) to Garmin style to full blown Smart watch aka Motorola 360 - however, would these be worn during sport? I assume a bit of water could damage these type of watches so they mightn't be best if caught in the rain.

Ideally I'd like this watch to try and track my training activity to inspire me to train for triathlons, and might be doing some of this training inside on cycling machines etc.

I'd appreciate any thoughts? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Most common would be the likes of Garmin 310xt/920xt, Polar, Suunto Ambit or similar. Most of these would be worn specifically while training and not everyday with a few exceptions. Normally these would be paired with a heart rate monitor,

I am not 100% familiar with the majority of day to day wearables at the moment so I will let others answer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Most new training devices are activity monitors too so they track steps, sleep etc.

You can go from something simple like a basic digital watch for timing combined with a pen and paper / spreadsheet right through to €500+ watches that track everything, swim, bike & run related.

Starting out spending €200 on either a decent 2nd hand 910XT or a newer bike & run tracker is more that enough gadget wise. If no budget concerns then really the high end solutions of 920xt, Ambit, V800 are the obvious choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

I use the Garmin vivoactive, good compromise between high end garmin and smartwatch. 169E on amazon.de

Advertisement