Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading processor

Options
  • 18-12-2015 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Upgrading the work PC as it is too slow for development work. This is the one, currently has a G645. Should I stick to the processors listed on that link or can I get any 1155 socket sandy/ivy bridge? Most of the high end ones on that page are not being sold new any more.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Any 1155 socket CPU will work, however the list is pretty comprehensive. Before you do any upgrades make sure that you find the latest bios upgrade for your motherboard. This will ensure that you don't run into problems with putting in an Ivy Bridge processor should you go with that.
    You can find a second hand chip on adverts: http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/computers/desktop-hardware/processors/496/q_1155/
    If you want to buy new, I'd try ebay. You'll want an i5 minimum. Luckily for you, pretty much all of them are great processors as Sandy Bridge is still considered great even 4 generations on.

Advertisement