Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad setup for child - own Apple ID?

• 18-12-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hi. I currently have 2 iPads, iPhone and 2 iPod touches set up on my own Apple ID.
    Got my 12 year old daughter an iPad mini for Christmas. Should iset it up with her own ID? If I do, does this mean she will not be able to share stuff between her iPod (under my ID) and her iPad.
    If I buy something for her sisters iPod in iTunes (my ID) will she not be able to access it if she has her own ID?

Any ways around this? Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Set up her own ID, but look into Family Sharing. It's designed for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Her own account will make transition easier later on. It also separates your stuff from hers and won't cause imessage mix ups. You can always sign in to the store on her device to download anything purchased on your account.

Family sharing as mentioned is an option, personally I'm not a fan. With family sharing one person owns the billing card and others 'request' to make a purchase on it.

Best setting ever - restrict in-app purchases! ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have my 4 year old set up with his own account through his own personal email. I just keep the password from him.

It could save hassle down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

Many thanks. Going to set her up with her own account as suggested.

So if she has her own account, can I log into her iTunes as myself, and then download my purchased music onto her iPad?

What are the options for apps purchased on other devices other than family sharing?

Many thanks again.

snor wrote: »
    Many thanks. Going to set her up with her own account as suggested.

So if she has her own account, can I log into her iTunes as myself, and then download my purchased music onto her iPad?

What are the options for apps purchased on other devices other than family sharing?

Many thanks again.

You sign in on her iPad using her log in details and download what you want.
    You should always be signed in to iCloud etc to facilitate back ups etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd recommend enabling family sharing, a parent controlling the billing/purchasing can only be a good thing in my opinion and it makes sharing App Store purchases a hell of a lot easier than juggling multiple Apple IDs on a device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

How long does it take to set up the Apple ID? Screen says may take a few mins- that was 30 minutes ago?

Antibac wrote: »
    How long does it take to set up the Apple ID? Screen says may take a few mins- that was 30 minutes ago?

Couple of mins usually.
    Refresh maybe.

Advertisement