Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Made-In-Cork gourmet food? Made in Ireland is OK too.

Options
  • 18-12-2015 12:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭

Bradley's is a good spot for this kind of stuff - but what other shops sell this kind of Cork/Irish gourmet stuff? Made in Ireland stuff is good too.

I know the English Market does it, but the feckers never stay open late enough so I've never been able to make it there.

Anywhere else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Well, what are you looking for, and what part of the city are you?

If you want night time shopping, then you are restricted alright. Corner shops can be quite good for that, they seem to be diversifying.
    I'm over in ballintemple, so I know the ones around me.

My local supervalu has a local range. They do Gino's icecream, some local cheeses, few relishes etc. I think a lot of supervalu's can carry something like 10% local stock?

Ballintemple Food store has a huge range of local products. https://www.facebook.com/BallintempleFoodStore

There's a place on the Well Road, used to be Jack's shop... struggling to think of the name now.. MooMoo's or BooBoo's or something like that. They have a small range of local things.

There's a tiny shop on blackrock road, Menlo Stores. They have local things like jams and chutneys, and local veg. It's got very long opening hours altogether, even open christmas day.

Possibly J J O'Driscolls on the ballinlough road? They are mainly a deli, but have a shop with local products there.

There's all the weekly markets around as well. You will get the local chocolate and coffee and snacks at those.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

pwurple wrote: »
    There's a place on the Well Road, used to be Jack's shop... struggling to think of the name now.. MooMoo's or BooBoo's or something like that. They have a small range of local things.

That's GoGo's. It's a cafe and deli and they have some of their own jams and other things that may be local or homemade. A relative of mine picks up bread there, they say it's very good.

I don't know if it's what you're looking for but I have seen in Garden Goodness (in Douglas Court, I wasn't in Douglas Village or their Wilton outlets) cheeses and crackers some of which is made in Ireland, like Carrigaline Cheese and cheeses under the Sheridan name that is from West Cork. I think that's only for Christmas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

The shop in Ballintemple sell lots of locally produced stuff, in fairness they are very good there.

You can get the Wild About but whoops that's Wicklow but they are lovely chutneys and jams
    David Chocolate
    Fresh Cakes
    Salads grown in some local chaps garden (pricey for a bag but tis nice)
    There is the Rebel Chilli too that's local to Cork
    Cheeses too
    He has lots of stuff and they are open until 10 every night..

It is a shame the market doesn't stay open later alright... Surprised that the shops are only open late starting from today... they wonder why people buy online

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

just thought too I no Wild isn't Cork but they do lovely mixes for Cocktails too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, I'll tell you what I bought so far:

Rebel Chilli spicy sauce from Cork

Choccy chip cookies from Cork

Some other spicy sauce from Dublin (as I said doesn't have to be made in Cork)

Some sort of Mushroom powder from Wicklow that you add to stews/soups.

Brewed-in-Waterford beer.

Salt substitute made of Irish Seaweed. (Can't remember which county)

Smoked Ketchup from somewhere in Ireland, can't remember.

Might go for a local cheese board.

Any other suggestions and where to buy them, fire away!

By the way that Ballintemple food shop looks good. Now that I think of it, Quay Coop could be a good source of local or Irish stuff.

As a side note, I went into Holland and Barret's last night. Couldn't find one locally sourced product. I won't be going there again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The English Market Open Late 'til 8pm next week.

You could try Douglas and Mahon Farmers' Markets. Some very good food available there - incl good cheese merchant with local cheeses.
    Also Toon Bridge Mozarella in the Market. From local buffalo!

On the Pig's Back , Douglas Woollen Mills may be worth a look. Lot's of goodies on display probably some local produce

You could try Douglas and Mahon Farmers' Markets. Some very good food available there - incl good cheese merchant with local cheeses.

Unfortunately it seems the farmers markets are made for housewives or people on the dole. They're always on work days, during work hours.

Thanks for the info on English market next week. Will definitely pop in for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Douglas Mkt is on Saturday, Midleton Mkt too

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭FrasierCrane

28srf0c wrote: »
    Bradley's is a good spot for this kind of stuff - but what other shops sell this kind of Cork/Irish gourmet stuff? Made in Ireland stuff is good too.

I know the English Market does it, but the feckers never stay open late enough so I've never been able to make it there.

Anywhere else?

O'Keeffes in St Lukes is one of the best shops in Cork.

http://www.okeeffes-shop.ie/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

28srf0c wrote: »
    Unfortunately it seems the farmers markets are made for housewives or people on the dole. They're always on work days, during work hours.

Thanks for the info on English market next week. Will definitely pop in for a look.

There are markets on Saturdays too, and a lot of people pop over to them on their lunch breaks. Especially the wilton one, from the hospital, and the mahon one, from vmware etc. Do you work 6 days a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

Supervalue in blackrock have a local section down past the deli at the back of the shop

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

As you can probably tell, my Xmas pressie theme this year is "local shtuff"

Advertisement