Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you recommend good martial arts club for 5 year old in D15?

• 18-12-2015 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Can you recommend good martial arts club for 5 year old in D15?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I think 5 is very young to start training, especially for traditional striking arts. I'd suggest you find a Judo club, as the training is more tactile and more suited to a child of 5 years. Try contacting Alan Martin from this website http://www.judoireland.com/ He has a club in Garristown which is near D15 (I think?).

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dublin 15, well you've got a choice of Judo or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu both of which are great for kids as wrestling comes natural to a child.

But as Zen says five years old is very young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think Jiu Jitsu is fine for 5 years olds. Very low impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mellor wrote: »
    I think Jiu Jitsu is fine for 5 years olds. Very low impact.

My experience with kids is not a matter of impact, but of attention span.

Its really difficult to keep a very young childs attention too long before you've to turn the class into a game (there is grappling games for kids too).

But you're right on JJ.. Or any of the grappling arts, including Judo ~ because grappling (wrestling) comes natural to children.

I remember during my Judo coaching course the course had to give an introductory class to a group of primary school children.

Whilst the rest of the course tried to teach 'Osoto Gari', 'Uchimata etc ~ the kids remained baffled.

I took the class 'Lads you know how you try to trip your mates up, or throw them onto the grass when you're messing in the fields?" ~ 'Well thats Judo'' :D

Advertisement