Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The instagram RCE train wreck

• 18-12-2015 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone keeping an eye on this? What are your thoughts on the ethics of it?

For those unfamiliar:
    Security researcher viewpoint.
    Facebook viewpoint.

My own view on it is that the RCE payout and their demand that he keep it at that was nonsense.

The RCE was merely a beachhead in what would have been an incredibly destructive attack because of their awful internal security. Their response (IMO) is classic large company rubbish and reminds me of this little gem from a few years back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I was reading about this a little earlier today and I can sympathise somewhat with the position of both parties.

I think Wineberg did overstep the mark but I also think that there no need for Facebook to stomp all over him and go to his employer with threats of legal action and law-enforcement.

Edit: The "little gem" that you linked to was, however, a thing of beauty and made me laugh out loud!

Advertisement