Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to ice chocolate biscuit cake?

Options
  • 18-12-2015 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

It's my little girls birthday on Monday she asked me to make her a chocolate biscuit cake for it. I've just finished making the cake as we are quite busy the weekend ( I hope this will be OK) I'm no Baker so have not a huge knowledge in these things. When would be best to ice and decorate it. She wants a Christmassy cake so my plan is to cover in white roll out icing decorate with some chocolate Santa and snowmen lollipops. The lollipops can go on last minute but when would be best to ice it.
    Thanks in.advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

You can do it as soon as you want, store in cool dry room after icing, not the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DB01

I'd leave it in the fridge for as long as possible and only ice when you have to. After the party when presentation is not so important, you can store the iced leftovers in the fridge no problem and your cake will last for ages. If there's any leftovers that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Do it as soon as you want chocolate biscuit cake won't go off in days like a baked cake does.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

If the surface of the chocolate biscuit cake isn't perfectly smooth you should first cover it in a thin layer of ganache to smooth it out. Then cover it in fondant. Once it has been covered in fondant you won't be able to put it into your fridge as it will affect the fondant. You can do it a few days in advance but you'll want to cover it in a light tea towel or something similar to stop dust from getting at it.

Advertisement