Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How has the death of a loved one affected you and your life / daily life ever since?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Miss Merry Berry

I would have to say that the quick passing of my mother had a profound effect on me to this day. For a year after, I went into a very dark place, I forgot how to live, how to smile. I didn't feel like I have anything to live for. I have come to terms with it a bit more now but when I'm going through the good times, I want her to be there to celebrate with me and when I'm going through the bad times, she's the one person I want a hug from and some reassuring words from. Losing a loved one really opens your eyes to mortality and how easily life can be taken away. I suppose I was naive before I lost my Mum. You think you're invincible when you're younger. Even now, I would pass old houses that wouldn't have a light on and I get a profound sense of sadness. There was life and light there once and now it's gone. Life can be strange sometimes and your life puzzle will never be the same when there is a loved one gone from it. I have learnt to live my life for now and appreciate my family and friends today.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just reading some of peoples posts here has made my own experience a tiny bit easier.

Lost a really great friend back in October.He was one of those friends that although I might not have seen him that often was always there if I needed anything.Would always be the type that would drop everything and I know it sounds corny but was always there for me.

Ive never been so affected by a death as this one.

Cant get his death out of my head.We all knew it was coming but never really expected it to happen.Two months on and Im no closer to getting over it.

Bereavement hits us all differently. OP, you should go back for Counselling. They've heard it all before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

lost my mam last year and my 2 grandmothers and uncle died this year. i did and do still find it hard without them and it will really hit this xmas as the morning time we would visit both grandmothers.

the worse things about death is the having the service before the mass in the funeral home/house. its the last ever time u will see that person, the local undertaker asks everyone to leave and they put the top of the casket on.

people who say there depressed but have not lost nobody should really look at themselves and say 'things are not that bad'. sorry if i offended anyone with that but its the way i feel.

its really hard to imagine there is a god with the way things in the world work. babys getting seriously sick, innocent people are killed etc but the local traveller family are going around attacking people, robbing houses, winning lottos etc, drug dealers and criminals living the good life with there big cars, big houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

My brother died when we were both kids, 30 years ago now, and although was too young at the time to fully understand it, and have many memories, I do remember looking out for him, and feeling like the big brother.

I would still think about him most days, more so around his birthday and anniversary, and do wonder what we might have gotten up to growing up. Not married or any kids my self, but would think would miss some of the stuff that entails having a brother, being an uncle (have no other siblings), having an uncle to my kids should I have any, picking my best man or having one, etc. Or simply having someone that close, that you can share stories with, confide with, go for pints, etc. I know all the above you can do with friends, or other close male relations, and that I do, but its not quite the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

This can be the worst IMO...you know in your heart you shouldn't think it and move on...but still esp at anniversaries it would knaw at you

I dont think that at all, its not as if I dwell on all them things. He does enter my thoughts, and I do occasionally think what if. Even though its 30 years, I still consider him an important part of my life, even if he was only there for a short part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

If there's one thing that bereavement shows, it's that there are a huge amount of people and families who have suffered really tragic, heartbreaking losses. Until it happened to my family, we never realised just how many families in our parish alone had lost people far, far too young. I was 18 when we buried my brother, two months before his 16th birthday. He was born with heart problems which finally caught up with him. Walking around the graveyard in the weeks after, we began to notice headstones for newborns, slightly older children, teenagers, people in their 20s, 30s, etc. All people who died far before their time.

The first few years after were incredibly tough and lonely. I missed him hugely and my heart broke for my Mom, she had spent her life holding a family together, providing for us all, doing an immense job in rearing us to people that I'm proud we are. She had worried about my brother all his life and it was horrible to see him taken from us after all she sacrificed. Time being the great healer it is, we all gradually moved from the sadness to live our lives again.

Things were great for a few years, my older sister moved back around having lived and worked abroad for a few years. Then, out of the blue, Mom got diagnosed with cancer and died less than five weeks later, the day before my brother's anniversary. Never smoked, drank maybe two glasses of sparkling wine a year, ate very healthily. Just wrong. It was a horrible time and if I'm brutally honest, I was angry that it was Mom instead of Dad who had been taken from us. For reasons I won't go into, neither my sister or I had much time for him and we dreaded what life would be like. Mom had been the barrier.

I moved home soon after that, I guess I didn't have much time to grieve as my father proved to be even more difficult than we'd feared. A year later, he was diagnosed with cancer and died just over two years after Mom. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a relief but I also regretted what could have been if he or maybe I might have been slightly different.

That was six years ago. I'm not sure if I think about them every day, but, as a poster above alluded to, I no longer feel guilty if I don't. Time and life has healed a lot. I'm married now, as is my sister and she has a wonderful little daughter whom I adore. Life goes on, new life starts. As my wife and I begin to think about starting a family I do get pangs though, especially for Mom. We're building a house behind my home place. Mom would have loved to have us there, have her (fingers crossed) grandkids running down to visit her.

It won't happen and that does make me sad but again, time has healed and will continue to heal, in my case at least. The most important thing for me is to not forget them. I don't have to remember them every day but just not forget them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

3 of my 4 grandparents were dead before I was born and the last passed away before I was old enough to comprehend so I didn't know what losing someone was like.

Then my Mam, who was fit as a fiddle, was told one day she had 3 months to live. That day was harder than the day she died. I was with her and even heard her last breath. Maybe time has coloured it but I remember the sun coming out that morning and knowing she was at peace.

But what's hardest is my Dad. He's lost without her. That's what the hardest thing had been. That and guilt that I've been through things that made him worry about me, which ironically probably came about partly because I found it so hard knowing how much he was hurting.

But he's a great man and loves me and has always had my back. And because of that, and for the woman my Mam was and for the happiness they had together I feel lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

My OH lost both his parents at Christmas 2013 and 2014. I know he feels very alone and I wish I could take his grief and pain away. The last 2 Christmases passed in a blur as we just wanted to get the day over with. This year it's just the 2 of us for Christmas and I'm trying to make it as special as I can for him. Life is short and I'm thankful for everyday we are together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

One of my earliest memories is of my mum at the phone, hearing the news that her brother had died. I was about 4, so I guess he couldn't have been older than 27 or 28 years old. Took his own life, they explained to me years later. After that, my mum's parents died, thankfully they did not live to see another of their children, one of my mum's older brothers, take his own life some years later.

Between the ages of 30 to 45 my mum lost 2 brothers and both parents. She still dreams of them from time to time, she's told me. It took some serious toll on her, particularly her brothers.

I'm 35 now myself, with no losses in my immediate family, and I feel very fortunate for that. Wish I could say I appreciated it all more and made the most of it- I have to remind myself to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

whiskeyman wrote: »
    It's funny how it *will* affect us all over time, but we rarely talk about it.
    We need to be more open about bereavement and stop putting pressure to be all happy and rosy all the time.
    When it does happen, many people tend to avoid you... I guess they simply don't know what to say. Sometimes a chat, phone call, or 'how are you?' can really help. If you know someone who's going through it, please don't 'give them space' unless they specifically have asked for it.

I just copped this now. I lived with a very good friend at the time my Mam died and, to his credit, he didn't shy away from talking about her or asking how I was. I don't think I'd ever really had to deal with any good friends who'd lost someone close but I know how it might seem like not bringing it up is the better option. It really helped me to talk about her because any of the stories where she would come up were good ones...happy times.

I'm sure it's hard to know cos people don't like to say they need space when they have lost someone for fear it comes across like being ungrateful or something. But if you're a friend, trust your instincts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I'm 30 years old and I've lost all my grandparents, 3 uncles, one aunt and a cousin who was the same age as me.
    But all of that grief combined is nothing compared to how I feel after losing my mother 4 months ago. I can't even describe it. I continue on my daily life like everything is normal. Most people probably 'forget' that I've lost her so recently as I continue to laugh, work, socialize etc.
    But my heart breaks a little more everyday as I wake up and remember that she's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Californiadream, I'm trying for the last few minutes to think of something to say to comfort you but, as you well know, no words really can. You're right, people do forget and that's completely normal and understandable. What's also completely normal is that you feel sad, lonely, heartbroken, angry even. You don't have to hide it, allow yourself the luxury of a good old bawling session. Tears are a great way to relieve some of that pain I found. The time of year is no help either but I suppose it's one of those hurdles that needs to be jumped.

Jump the hurdles, they'll get smaller as time goes by I hope, take whatever hugs are coming your way and don't hold back the tears when they come. Mind yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I lost my son in July 14 through suicide which was a massive blow. There are so many feelings and thoughts I have about that I can not even begin to type.

In April 15 I was to loose my Wife, this was huge completely so. She was not my sons mother but a huge source of support, In all ways my crutch. The loss of her has really impacted me. The one person who knew everything and could be told anything with out ever been anything other than supportive.

Last month I was to loose my father after a long battle. A man of great talent, artistic, amazing with his hands. A man who wanted to learn to play the ukulele, so he built his own. I knew he painted but as he was a humble man I never knew his work was in demand and nearly every piece he painted was bought.

Christmas will be a lonely time. A time I will have to find extra strength for.
    A time to dig a little deeper in the reserves i never knew were there.

I lost my son in July 14 through suicide which was a massive blow. There are so many feelings and thoughts I have about that I can not even begin to type.

In April 15 I was to loose my Wife, this was huge completely so. She was not my sons mother but a huge source of support, In all ways my crutch. The loss of her has really impacted me. The one person who knew everything and could be told anything with out ever been anything other than supportive.

Last month I was to loose my father after a long battle. A man of great talent, artistic, amazing with his hands. A man who wanted to learn to play the ukulele, so he built his own. I knew he painted but as he was a humble man I never knew his work was in demand and nearly every piece he painted was bought.

Christmas will be a lonely time. A time I will have to find extra strength for.
    A time to dig a little deeper in the reserves i never knew were there.

Your losses are huge Bernard. I'm so sorry you've had such a terrible series of tragedies in your life, it's too unfair. I hope you manage to enjoy some small things over the holiday, and I hope the New Year brings you peace.

Take care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Lost my brother 10yrs ago who was taken from us out of the blue, and I will never forget that phone call from my other brother on a boring Monday morning.

its safe to say life really isn't the same after losing someone so close.

It kills me to see the pain my sister-in law went/goes through after losing her childhood sweetheart, and my nieces and nephews also.

Christmas time always magnifies the memoires hence the pain of losing a loved one, but my brother was also a guiding light and someone to look up to, as I never really had a Dad in my life - he was also taken from my (and my loving families) life tragically when I was a toddler.

but you do find strength from somewhere. maybe its just time, but you cant stop and you have to keep going.

Happy Christmas everyone.

I surprised anyone copes with the death of someone they truly love. That might sound weird because death is such a part of life but life is something in and of itself which is quite bizarre.

I will not give my own story I guess - most people have one so I do not feel tempted to bore everyone with another. Suffice to say I did NOT cope with it. It nearly killed me. Very very nearly. Now many years later I am coping but even now there are those moments.

And now I have kids. The idea of their death terrifies me to by core when I dwell on it. Christopher Hitchens said it well when he described having his daugther.

"To be the father of growing daughters is to understand something of what Yeats evokes with his imperishable phrase 'terrible beauty.' Nothing can make one so happily exhilarated or so frightened: it's a solid lesson in the limitations of self to realize that your heart is running around inside someone else's body. It also makes me quite astonishingly calm at the thought of death: I know whom I would die to protect"

I guess a large part of the issue is that it is not a topic we confront in our society very well. We do not discuss it, explore it, or make it a part of our narrative. Most of us live our lives in a fashion that inherently seems to contain the idea we will live forever - and we squander our time and resources in this world on the mundane. My own father is of an age now where it is pretty clear that his remaining years are not aplenty. Yet we never sit down and talk this out saying "Look you are gonna die soon enough - how do we feel about that?" and so forth.

I was listening to something recently - QI I think - talking of a society where they periodically dig up the bones of their relatives - clean them off - have a party around them - sit around the bones in a situation that reminds me of a Quaker wedding talking about the dead and telling the young generation about them - stories good and bad - and more. I wonder if this is a healthier approach to the subject of death?

But given the certainty of death - and how big a part of life it is (in some ways death defines life one could say) - it amazes me how small a part it plays in our ongoing narrative and conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Hey,

I'm the OP. I'd just like to say that I haven't been in the correct mind-frame to read or respond to the replies since I made this thread. I am going to do so very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

ken wrote: »
    Daregod, Would you like this moved to personal issues or the bereavement forum?

Sorry, ken. As per my previous post, I am only seeing your post now. As it happens, I am happier to have it in After Hours. Thanks.

DareGod wrote: »
    I ask because the past year (for whatever reason) I dream almost every night about the person I lost. I dream that they came back to life and that I'm hugging them and laughing with them. And when I wake up, it really sucks. And I'm at a stage where this is happening 4 or 5 times a week and I'm becoming absolutely exhausted from it. I'm exhausted throughout the day. Again, I'm not pitying myself, I'm just describing the situation.

I've been to counsellors over the years for technically other reasons, but this is the one topic I have never been able to bring up (not for want of trying) because I wouldn't be able to talk through the tears.
    Looking back on the past ten years, I believe that this feeling in me has been largely responsible for drinking alcohol as much as I have done, and for my anxiety, as well as for a lot of my own personal failings. And now I feel it's holding me back on an intense surface-level. I know that the only solution is really to go and talk to a counsellor about it, and let them help me get past it.

I think the most important thing in your post is the realisation that you need to see a Counsellor.

Linking a death 10 years ago to exhaustion, drinking, anxiety, feelings that it's holding you back...it sounds like brooding or catatrophisation.

My father died about 10 years ago. He was a wonderful man, we were very close, he just doted on me as I was the youngest of 7. I was thankful he had a peaceful death. And while I sometimes think about him, it's always in a positive way, it brings a smile. That's not meant to be smug or anything, I'm inclined to get stressed about other matters, like work.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Thankfully my parents are still alive, but my mother in law's death had a terrible impact on my wife. Her mother died five years ago from lung cancer. Wasn't an old woman by any means either. Every Christmas is painful for my wife, and she gets into a bad mood. I tend to like to be upbeat for Christmas so I try and get her out of her rut every year. I feel sorry for her. I think I help her, because my personality tends to be upbeat and happy

I'm sure you mean well and maybe you just didn't phrase it very well but your post infuriated me.

It comes across as you saying that her being sad at Christmas inconveniences you, it doesn't fit in with how you want things to be so you try to make her change to make things better for you.

Nobody has any right to tell anyone else how they should grieve. It's still raw for your wife, even five years later. You don't know what it's like because you haven't experienced loss but it's horrible and Christmas is such a poignant time with so many memories. It's also really upsetting when you're being bombarded with the pressure to be happy and enjoy the party season and on the tv every second ad features complete and happy families. It's like a repeated smack in the face, reminding you that your own family is no longer like that.

I get it that if you have kids of your own you probably want her to be a bit more festive for their sakes but cut the woman some slack and allow her to feel her pain. Don't make her feel that she's wrong to be grieving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Trump4Prez

Recently my Grandfather passed away. He was 90 years old, lived a long healthy life, was a wonderful man, husband, father, grandfather and great grandfather.

His passing has actually had a positive influence on my life as it brought my extended family closer together, I reconnected with relations I had not seen for years. I personally realized the importance of family and the love I have for them. We all miss my Grandfather but we celebrated his life instead of morning the loss.

Advertisement