Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike in under fished areas

• 18-12-2015 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Iv seen a few videos on YouTube of people catching pike in drains and dikes in England does anyone ever fish these kind of spots I'm interested in finding some spots like this rather than well known lakes and rivers that are over fished. I found a small pond that you wouldn't expect any fish to be in but seen bait fish jumping out of the water and knew it was running from a pike so I fished it and caught my first 20lber and have caught more decent fish since then in it.. Has anyone stumbled across hidden spots like this and gave up on the well known spots ? And are the drains iv seen on YouTube like flood relief systems or something ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Dyl15 wrote: »
    Iv seen a few videos on YouTube of people catching pike in drains and dikes in England does anyone ever fish these kind of spots I'm interested in finding some spots like this rather than well known lakes and rivers that are over fished. I found a small pond that you wouldn't expect any fish to be in but seen bait fish jumping out of the water and knew it was running from a pike so I fished it and caught my first 20lber and have caught more decent fish since then in it.. Has anyone stumbled across hidden spots like this and gave up on the well known spots ? And are the drains iv seen on YouTube like flood relief systems or something ?

The dykes/canals/ditches/drains you have seen are probably in the likes of Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire where the gems have huge channels dug all the way across them, pike fishing is a very popular pastime there and they even have regular competitions just for the pike. Some of the big channels are also navigable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dyl15

Yeah that's the ones, you wouldn't expect to find pike as big as the ones they caught to be in there.. Is there anything like that in Ireland ? Like drains coming off rivers worth having a look at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dyl15

I worded that question stupidly.. I meant does anybody have experience fishing in these kind of places and is it worth checking out since all the rivers are flooding and very high I think it makes sense that the pike might follow bait fish up these drains or flood relief things.. Any info appreciated..

Advertisement