Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spice bags?

Options
  • 18-12-2015 9:35pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I know there's a restaurant thread but this is a pretty specific question and I was afraid it'd get missed there and I need answers!

Has the spice bag craze that's currently sweeping across Dublin caught on yet in Sligo? Are any of the Chinese takeaways in town doing them? I'll need my spicy fix when I'm home for the Christmas holidays.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ah here, dont you know the west coast is generally about 5 years behind anything that happens in Dublin.

:D

But seriously, wouldn't mind trying this sensation my self.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Panda do them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Ask the farming forum

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Only since JustEat announced it as the nations favourite takeaway have i known it as that. Loads of places have had it here for years, usually goes under the prefix 'Salt and Chilli'. I know a chineese that changed it to 'Spicebag' literally the week JustEat said it. I will never call it that!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Only since JustEat announced it as the nations favourite takeaway have i known it as that. Loads of places have had it here for years, usually goes under the prefix 'Salt and Chilli'. I know a chineese that changed it to 'Spicebag' literally the week JustEat said it. I will never call it that!!! :mad:

You will be shunned from the spice bag community for that.

• Advertisement

So its probably just MSG then!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

You will be shunned from the spice bag community for that.

I've gotten this far in life without being in it... :cool:
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    So its probably just MSG then!

It's what the chineese food industy was founded on

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Panda do them.

Excellent, cheers!

I'm told that the one in Collooney does them but in a tray, so the portion is small but tasty. I'll return with my investigation findings before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Had one from the Collooney takeaway last night. It really is very small (it's in the same size box that they do their entrees in) and consists of the usual chicken thrown together with onions and sliced chili and chips. I wouldn't order it for dinner by itself, but it did well for the two of us to share along with a shared entree with fried rice. I ordered it "extra spicy" but I'm not sure how "extra" the spice was. Nothing wrong with it.

Why did I have to open this thread again and me cutting back my junk food.

Must resist, must resist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Speedwell wrote: »
    Had one from the Collooney takeaway last night. It really is very small (it's in the same size box that they do their entrees in) and consists of the usual chicken thrown together with onions and sliced chili and chips. I wouldn't order it for dinner by itself, but it did well for the two of us to share along with a shared entree with fried rice. I ordered it "extra spicy" but I'm not sure how "extra" the spice was. Nothing wrong with it.

I had one over Christmas couldn't wait to taste it then realised it was just salt and chilli chicken and chips, was a let down, food was still lovely

wouldnt it be easier, cheaper to just make your own chips and add salt and chilli no?

wouldnt it be easier, cheaper to just make your own chips and add salt and chilli no?

You could argue that about anything from a chinese takeaway to be fair. Anyway, yes of course it'd be cheaper but the whole lure of the takeaway is the convenience, especially when hungover which is when a spicebag is most enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I can cook Chinese pretty well. I have actually attempted this a few times before I knew you could get it in my town. Conclusions:

No, it certainly is not easier to "make your own" rather than pick it up ready made from the shop (unless it is extraordinarily difficult for you to get out of the house and down the road). Also, cleanup.

No, it really isn't cheaper, at least when you consider that your copycat attempt is not and never will be exactly like what you wanted in the end. Your concoction may be theoretically correct but will fall short in practice, unless your place actually is the local takeaway.

That said, here's a convincing looking recipe http://insanekitchen.com/salt-and-chilli-chicken-recipe/ I personally would use about a fifth of the five-spice mixture, and would certainly include a grind of Sichuan peppercorns if I had them. Otherwise I will probably not ever get around to trying this particular recipe again unless I am actually just that desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sliabh Gamh

China City have been doing them for a while, but they call them spice boxes.

Panda do them.

Went to Panda tonight and was bitterly disappointed. Now I realise that I am spoiled as the Chinese which created the original and best spicebag is on my doorstep in Dublin but Panda's effort was shockingly poor.

Minimal spice, in fact there was visible/tangible granulated sugar in there ffs! No colour to the bag contents from the mix of spices that one would usually expect. Worst of all though... No veg! This is a travesty! The mixture of chillies and spring onion/white onion just enhances the entire spicebag experience but they were painfully absent from this offering.

Gutted :(

Advertisement