Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco "double the difference" back if overcharged?

Options
  • 18-12-2015 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭

Rather than clog up the tesco bargains thread, I thought I'd ask separately. (Putting it here as it applies to Tesco bargains but mods feel free to delete or move)

this is a theoretical question for now, but if I know of an item in a Tesco store, that is scanning at 100, but is marked reduced to €50, do i go ahead and buy it at the higher price - then go back to customer service desk (not immediately) and look for the double the difference? So I get €100 back?

I thought about it a couple of years ago when a camera was reduced to 70, but was still scanning at 200 or something. I didn't go ahead with it at the time cos I didn't think they'd give me 260 back on a 70 euro camera and wasn't arse arguing the point

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

Yep as long as you have a receipt showing the price you paid then they will give you double the difference back. You can go straight from the till to customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I thought double the difference was long gone from Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I know Tesco is a big company but I think this is a pretty sh1tty thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Skid X wrote: »

Same. I was overcharged a while back. They just refunded the difference and said sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭d1980

Saganist wrote: »
    Same. I was overcharged a while back. They just refunded the difference and said sorry.

Same here. They used to give you the item free.got a bottle of whiskey free one Christmas cos of it. Now they just give the difference whilst continuing to overcharge unsuspecting customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

People really took the piss out of it. Finding out something was mispriced online and then emptying the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Same here, but Supervalu are really bad at it, as offers are not added to the items, until i see the receipt as usually a crowd & not able to see it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Consumer issues? Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Is the scanned price definitely the point of sale price? I know online sometimes offers aren't applied until pos.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Moved from BA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They stopped this here a long time ago as people were abusing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

If they were quick enough correcting their mistakes it wouldn't cost them much.

If they were quick enough correcting their mistakes it wouldn't cost them much.

It's one thing making mistakes, it's another when people deliberately cash in on them only to get the refund and not the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Skid X wrote: »

Double the Difference policy is displayed in most Tesco stores and according to Tesco's Facebook page a while back it applies to all stores.

I bought something a while ago in Tesco Clearwater which I was overcharged for, I was refunded the difference and when I requested double the difference the girl at CS said that they only refunded the difference until I pointed out the refund policy sign above her head, she then gave me the double the difference without any problems, I really think they are instructed to just chance it and save what they can-every little helps!

It's one thing making mistakes, it's another when people deliberately cash in on them only to get the refund and not the product.

If they responded quickly enough it would only happen once.

The policy was introduced initially with a full refund and keep the product, then stepped back to double the difference. Presumably because it was costing too much.

However the main reason for policy was to give consumers confidence that the price displayed on the shelf would be the price charged at the till, because at the time some consumers were worried about shops deliberately mislabeling the items.

It's been a while since I last checked, but I was finding about one item mispriced every week. Most not worth the two or three cents difference, but I have when I had free time claimed it on the basis that if it kept a manager busy it might encourage them to improve. (If it doesn't cost them when they make mistakes why spend time correcting them?)

On an slightly unrelated note, one of their self service tills left me 5c short yesterday, only got 10c instead of 15c.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Email customer care in Scotland will post out the doubled difference if the shop doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

GM228 wrote: »
    Double the Difference policy is displayed in most Tesco stores and according to Tesco's Facebook page a while back it applies to all stores.

I bought something a while ago in Tesco Clearwater which I was overcharged for, I was refunded the difference and when I requested double the difference the girl at CS said that they only refunded the difference until I pointed out the refund policy sign above her head, she then gave me the double the difference without any problems, I really think they are instructed to just chance it and save what they can-every little helps!
    I bought a Tefal Pan a few years ago when the policy was getting the item free if it scanned at a higher price. I think it was just €2 more but they gave it to me for free.

Another time I emailed about something and the guy replied and I wasn't happy because he wasn't going by their policy. A few days later I got a call from a UK number and it was someone in Tesco saying they saw my email and wanted to send me vouchers because they don't want me to feel I was ripped off (not their words, but you know what I mean) so they posted me out some vouchers. :)

I've had a few problems with Tesco over the years but they've always been good to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Double the difference was never stopped. Tesco just stopped giving it out unless you asked.

They have boards behind customer service desk advertising double the difference, but our local staff never give it, unless challenged, so it's the public awareness of it.

I always check my receipt before I leave the store, and go back to customer service immediately,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I had very little sympathy for them. Their incorrect pricing was rife at one stage, I rarely spot it anymore. They were the ones in effect using/abusing customers, using them as staff members, doing the checking they should have employed people to do.

I was going up so much one year I should have been invited to the staff christmas party. I often had to queue a long time just to get it, I think they should be paying me the same rate I am paid in my job, especially as I was seemingly so much better at it than their own staff.

I used to do it on principle but it was so frequent I often gave up. I would say 95% of the time I was overcharged when I saw a misprice, so I certainly do not believe it was genuine 50/50 mistakes. As I was not getting all my refunds I would have little issue taking advantage of them, and getting fair payment for my time & effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I recently had a few words with the girl on Customer service desk who insisted on telling me that they had stopped doing "double the difference " years ago, even though I was pointing out the board behind her where it was printed clearly!

I have no qualms about going back if I'm overcharged.
    It's their own fault with the constantly changing prices and " special offers"

It seems to be measured as a store Key Performance Indicator (KPI) in that it reflects badly on the store if there are multiple refunds.
    It seems to be standard practice to have to get a Duty Manager to process the refund where in the past the person on customer service had the authority to process it
    The reality is that most customers don't look at their receipt so Tesco are well up on the errors.

I had one recently where the Shelf edge label SEL was out of date by 10 days. So I was the first to go back for a refund on the item.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

I bought a book yesterday priced 4.99e. My bill was over 50.00 & on checking the receipt when I got home I was charged 7.95e for the book. It was Coonagh Limerick tesco. I will go back asap. What refund will I be entitled to? Customers need to be checking receipts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

hillbloom wrote: »
    I bought a book yesterday priced 4.99e. My bill was over 50.00 & on checking the receipt when I got home I was charged 7.95e for the book. It was Coonagh Limerick tesco. I will go back asap. What refund will I be entitled to? Customers need to be checking receipts!!

The difference is 2.96 so double it, so yes, 5.92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

They had a policy that you only paid the difference a few years ago.

That changed to double the difference.

I found a dvd in Tesco once that was advertised at 18 on the shelf and 17 on a promo stand.

It scanned at 18, so I complained and paid a euro.

There was a story in 2006 where someone found a PS3 label for 5 pound under the scanning price and saved 395 pounds.

eeguy wrote: »
    They had a policy that you only paid the difference a few years ago.

That changed to double the difference.

I found a dvd in Tesco once that was advertised at 18 on the shelf and 17 on a promo stand.

It scanned at 18, so I complained and paid a euro.

There was a story in 2006 where someone found a PS3 label for 5 pound under the scanning price and saved 395 pounds.

That doesn't make much sense.

The policy in Ireland was item free, then Double the Difference. Not that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

L1011 wrote: »
    The policy in Ireland was item free, then Double the Difference. Not that.

Yep you're right. My mistake. I got the Dvd free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

how do ye keep track of the displayed prices. I would forget straight away

how do ye keep track of the displayed prices. I would forget straight away

Tesco would prefer it if we all did forget.

• Advertisement
Advertisement