Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS dropping when connected to virgin media box

Options
  • 19-12-2015 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Having an issue that's been driving me nuts for a while now.

Have a buffalo terastation setup.

My virgin media box, the horizon one, is my default router for now.
    It's IP is 192.168.192.1
    I've set my NAS as 192.168.192.2. It's sitting beside it directly connected via ethernet.

Out of the virgin media box, I have a Mac Mini connected directly too.
    And an Apple TV.

And finally, I have an switch in the hotpress providing all rooms with ethernet sockets.

So. My PC is setup in my office, and if I plug the NAS directly into the PC, it's online 24/7, accessible and no issues.

if I plug the NAS into the virgin media router, it's visible on the network maybe 5% of the time at best.

Any ideas? I've stripped the NAS back to defaults, reset everything on it, and it's the same.

I'm lost.. Is there any setting on the virgin media router I need to look at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Have you tried changing the IP of the NAS box, at least if you do it will rule out an IP conflict if the issue still remains.
    Also I assume the NAS subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway and DNS is set to 192.168.192.1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What's your DHCP scope set to? Could be that .2 is within the scope and is being allocated by DHCP to other devices causing address conflicts. Either reserve the address in DHCP on the Horizon box if you can, or allocate it a static address outside the DHCP scope like 192.168.192.254.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

On my network, I've got the following

IP reservations configured on virgin media box and all configured as static on devices
    192.168.192.1 - Virgin Media
    192.168.192.2 - NAS
    192.168.192.3 - Eircom router in bridge mode acting as switch
    192.168.192.4 - my PC
    .5 - Mac Mini
    .6 Apple TV
    .7 Macbook Pro
    .8 Macbook Air
    .9 Macbook Pro

DHCP enabled on virgin media box.
    Range 192.168.192.10 - 192.168.192.20
    the 10 addresses above are mainly for Phones and friends when they come over.

I've also got Mac address filtering enabled, so there's nothing rogue on my network that I'm not aware of.

Still stumped :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Just for pig iron change the ip of the NAS just to completely rule of conflicts

Although it shouldn't give any problems, there's no point at all reserving IP's in DHCP and then configuring the same address statically on the device itself. You could try removing the reservations and seeing if that helps for some obscure reason though.

Does your eircom router acting as a switch have DHCP disabled?

• Advertisement

yeah eircom router has DHCP disabled. Ensured it was setup correctly today by resetting it and configuring it again.

I've removed all static routes, and changed all IP's on the network.

Same thing happening.

When you say the NAS isn't visible on the network do you mean it doesn't show in Network Neighbourhood in Windows? Is it accessible at IP level when this happens, i.e. can you ping it or access its web interface?

I can occasionally access the web interface.
    Pinging it, returns between 25% - 75% fail on pings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Alun wrote: »
    Although it shouldn't give any problems, there's no point at all reserving IP's in DHCP and then configuring the same address statically on the device itself. You could try removing the reservations and seeing if that helps for some obscure reason though.

There is one benefit of doing so - assignment of arbitrary DNS names for static-ip hosts.

Switch ports on the switch, switch cables...

Agree with grogi, sounds like a physical layer problem then.

• Advertisement

tried changing it all up. still the same.

I don't think it's my eircom switch, as if I connect the NAS and PC directly to it, it's all good.
    like wise when the NAS is connected to the PC directly.

Only when I'm routing through the virgin media box does it all go to bits.

I've changed ports, cables, rooms, power points etc.

I've also reset the virgin media box to defaults in hope it was something I changed.

Final step is to change the virgin media box for another router, but sadly, I don't have one for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Horizon box is junk, you really want it gone anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

tried changing it all up. still the same.

I don't think it's my eircom switch, as if I connect the NAS and PC directly to it, it's all good.
    like wise when the NAS is connected to the PC directly.

Only when I'm routing through the virgin media box does it all go to bits.

I've changed ports, cables, rooms, power points etc.

I've also reset the virgin media box to defaults in hope it was something I changed.

Final step is to change the virgin media box for another router, but sadly, I don't have one for now.

Google how to view the arp table on your machine. See if its changing. if it is, track down the other mac address. Odds are it's on the horizon box.

Advertisement