Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD wifi/ cellular wifi

Options
  • 19-12-2015 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I can't connect to eduroam. I have a weird phone. That's life, no idea why, Ive tried it all; but I've accepted it. Apparently UCD eduroam is not for everyone.

I usually try to use regular UCD wifi, or else use my network provider. But push messages still typically do not work, unless I go to the top floor of the fire escape in my (three story) building, and point my phone towards RTE.

It is absolutely ridiculous.

There are times I have had to walk to the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway to use online applications.

Has anyone else had this issue? It might be my imagination, but it seems not to be an iPhone issue, but rather people with android or other phones have these issues.

I almost hope it is just myself, because if this were a real issue in a 21st century university, it would be completely absurd.

By the way, this is a UCD issue only. As soon as I get on the dual carriageway every evening, my phone starts buzzing with the days app notifications and updates. I have never had an ongoing issue outside UCD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I've never had this much trouble with my phone or laptop. It doesn't work in some areas, but I've never had to leave campus before...

And Eduroam needs to have drivers or something installed on your laptop to work. Otherwise you won't be able to connect. It's also far better than the free wifi, which it should be since anyone can connect to the free one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Derby Deasy

Yes I know about the eduroam security download, but it isn't suitable for all phones.

This is not an issue most UCD students will have, it's an issue more likely to be encountered by visitors to the campus, including people attending seminars and conferences.

Not only is the UCD wifi pretty awful, it seems like own-network coverage is also really weak.

Advertisement