Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network infected?

Options
  • 19-12-2015 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I may be completely wrong here so forgive me if I'm talking nonsense, but is it possible for there to be a malware/virus infection on a home network that would affect devices connected?

I'm having an issue lately browsing the internet using my phone. The phone is a HTC One M9. When connected to my Wi-Fi at home I'm regularly getting redirected to vibrating pages offering me a chance to win an iPhone or something similar, and it's often impossible to get back to what I was reading without closing and reopening a tab. If I change to mobile data it doesn't happen. I'm noticing it mostly on the digital spy forums but it's occurring elsewhere as well.

I've tried running a malware scan on the phone itself and it's not finding anything.

As the problem seems to be limited to when I'm connected by Wi-Fi at home, that's why I'm wondering if it's a problem with the home network itself. Our home broadband is Vodafone fibre, with a HG658c modem/router.

If it is possible to have a malware problem on the network, how do I go about resolving it? If it was one particular device I'd have an idea but I've never dealt with a "connection wide" issue - if such a thing is possible!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Routers do get compromised, but its more common with old unsupported models that don't get patches from an ISP/Manufacturer.

First, check it doesn't happen on other wifi networks, some apps will sleep when on cellular data so you want to rule that out.

That all being clear then Id check DNS in case its been changed, that's most likely to cause misdirection.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You might want to read this thread ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057533139

The exploit seems to be quite old, but I'm not sure how often Vodafone push software updates to their routers, if at all, so you may have to download an update manually and do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Sparko

Thanks, seems to be a common issue on Vodafone from reading that and another thread it references.

I've switched browsers to Firefox on my phone and that has helped.

Advertisement