Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technologies that are on the way out?

Options
  • 19-12-2015 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

What technologies do people think are on the way out?

I thinking especially of bluetooth but I think 802.11 technology (wifi) will be more persistent because of the volume of devices that have it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Control / effective ownership of your own pc ( a concept, but a result of a technology, cloud)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Log9

Adobe Flash. It's held on for much longer than expected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

DVD/CD drive? Will it all be on USB flash drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Maybe games in a few years will all be digital download,
    not on disk.
    Theres no sign of a replacement for wifi ,
    as it uses frequencys other services do not use ,
    theres, a limited no of frequencys avaidable free to use ,that are not used by phones .
    you might invent something better than wifi ,but then you ,d have to buy spectrum to use it on.
    The spectrum left over from uhf tv broadcasting shutdown may be used by mobile phone companys .
    When wifi was invented there was no 3g ,the frequency was free to use ,smartphones
    were not invented yet .
    There were no digital phones .
    Maybe delivery trucks will be self driving .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

riclad wrote: »
    Theres no sign of a replacement for wifi . . .

Hmmm . . . Maybe ?

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ZENER wrote: »
    Hmmm . . . Maybe ?

Ken

Neighbours stealing your internet? Just close the curtains. :D

Even if a new wifi protocol comes in it will be need to be as cheap as the current system and as
    fast as the current system and easy to build into phones and tablets to be adopted by the consumer .
    Some codec,s and technologys are not taken up by consumers cos one company owns
    the patents on it and its too expensive to be put into every phone or pc ,
    And companys like dell ,hp will not pay the fee,s that are charged on each device
    to be allowed to use it .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Maybe delivery trucks will be self driving .

soooon :)

One that keeps surprising me is fax machines. There are still a few people who will not move on to new technology and get somewhat put out when you explain you don't have one.

I had someone yesterday ask me to send them a fax. I had to remind them it's 2015 and many people in my office have only seen fax machines in 1990s TV shows.

Most companys in japan use fax machines ,
    a fax is a legal document .
    And western companys use fax to send messages to foreign companys .
    Even if everyone had a smartphone ,people will still read paper books for years to come .
    Look at 3d tv ,most people dont use ,it , its awkward to wear glass,es for hours .
    just because some one invents a device doe,s not mean the public will buy it.Or pay extra to use it .
    Laptop,s with dvd drives may die out since young people are used to watching video online,
    netflix streaming ,and most films are on itunes ,amazon ,etc
    why bother putting buying a dvd movie at all .
    eg most laptops may just leave out dvd rom drives .
    self driving cars are being tested ,
    Theres, no company actually using self driving trucks , to do business .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

On the CD/DVD drive one that's something I was thinking about the other day. Years ago when buying you had to pay extra for a drive, then they became commonplace and came free, now you have to pay more for one again!

With steam, app stores , digital downloads , theres no reason to use a dvd drive ,unless
    you want to watch dvds , or play cds .
    And it reduces the weight of laptops and power consumption .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most companys in japan use fax machines ,
    a fax is a legal document .
    And western companys use fax to send messages to foreign companys
    That's an anachronism really though. There is literally no difference technologically between printing off an email attachment and receiving a fax. Both are scanned versions of an original document, converted digitally and then printed out at a remote location.
    A fax is neither more secure nor more tamper-proof than an email, in fact most companies who still have fax capability don't even have actual fax machines, they convert incoming faxes into email and outgoing emails into faxes (where needed)

Those who still use it (like in Japan) do so because the law has yet to be updated to allow email to be used for delivery of legal documents.

CD is dead in the water. I know a lot of people still like the tangible feel of it, but that's primarily because the average house still has a big home media disconnect. So they still need CDs to play music on stereos.
    The technology is there, but manufacturers have been really slow or really poor at implementing interconnectivity. I don't want a crappy little 15W speaker that plays music from my phone, but it seems that your only options are tiny portable speakers or huge €300 stereo systems. Nobody seems to make a €100 home radio/HiFi system that will play music from bluetooth or WiFi. The technology is there and it's cheap as chips. Once someone picks up on it properly, CD is gone.
    But instead they keep churning stuff like this: http://www.sony.ie/electronics/hi-fi-systems/cmt-s20-cmt-s20b#product_details_legacy_default
    €120 for already obsolete hardware. They could include WiFi, Bluetooth and a small screen on it and it would cost them a fiver. And every teenager would want one in their bedroom.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

seamus wrote: »
    That's an anachronism really though. There is literally no difference technologically between printing off an email attachment and receiving a fax. Both are scanned versions of an original document, converted digitally and then printed out at a remote location.
    A fax is neither more secure nor more tamper-proof than an email, in fact most companies who still have fax capability don't even have actual fax machines, they convert incoming faxes into email and outgoing emails into faxes (where needed)

Those who still use it (like in Japan) do so because the law has yet to be updated to allow email to be used for delivery of legal documents.

CD is dead in the water. I know a lot of people still like the tangible feel of it, but that's primarily because the average house still has a big home media disconnect. So they still need CDs to play music on stereos.
    The technology is there, but manufacturers have been really slow or really poor at implementing interconnectivity. I don't want a crappy little 15W speaker that plays music from my phone, but it seems that your only options are tiny portable speakers or huge €300 stereo systems. Nobody seems to make a €100 home radio/HiFi system that will play music from bluetooth or WiFi. The technology is there and it's cheap as chips. Once someone picks up on it properly, CD is gone.
    But instead they keep churning stuff like this: http://www.sony.ie/electronics/hi-fi-systems/cmt-s20-cmt-s20b#product_details_legacy_default
    €120 for already obsolete hardware. They could include WiFi, Bluetooth and a small screen on it and it would cost them a fiver. And every teenager would want one in their bedroom.

Chrome cast audio and any decent speaker with a line in isn't a bad option.

email accounts can be hacked, or emails lost or erased .
    if I send you a fax ,
    you can scan a fax page, or file it.
    A hacker cant erase a paper fax .
    too a certain extent its more secure than email ,
    i fax you, my phone no,is on the fax, the time sent .
    You can check my phone no.as to where its sent from .
    to make sure its sent from company x,country x.
    Anyone can make up fake email accounts .

Anyone can make up fake phone numbers and caller ID is highly insecure.

Phone number on the fax receipt or print out isn't anything other than what's been programmed into the machine. It's not even caller ID

Most faxes are also being handled by fax servers, not standalone machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

I know that until relatively recently,most football transfers were done via fax. Most people in my office have never seen or used one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

email accounts can be hacked, or emails lost or erased .
    if I send you a fax ,
    you can scan a fax page, or file it.
    A hacker cant erase a paper fax .
    Far easier to lose a piece of paper than a piece of data tbh. You can duplicate an email in a few hundred redundant places in a matter of seconds. A paper fax will get lost in a filing cabinet if it's not correctly filed, never mind stolen by someone who gets access to the cabinet (which is way easier than hacking).
    too a certain extent its more secure than email ,
    i fax you, my phone no,is on the fax, the time sent .
    You can check my phone no.as to where its sent from .
    to make sure its sent from company x,country x.
    Anyone can make up fake email accounts .
    Nope. I can send a fax to the guy sitting next to me, and make it look like it came from China if I wanted.

There is nothing inherenly secure about faxing anymore. In fact, it's less secure since I can digitally sign and encrypt an email. You can't do either with a fax (at least not without going to a lot of trouble).

If you were depending on Caller ID as your form of security you'd be completely kidding yourself.

There are regulations, but there's absolutely no security. It can be faked very, very easily. The original system was only secure because there was only typically one highly regulated phone company and Caller ID was pretty much hardwired into the PSTN networks.

With VoIP, things are a *lot* more fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The MP3 player seems to be waining in popularity due to bluetooth speakers and bigger capacity on smart phones

• Advertisement

Traditional landline telephones
    All forms of physical media - DVDs and CDs

Also I suspect hard drives made from platters of spinning rust will be replaced by SSDs

Maybe in 10 years,time ,
    at the moment you need a phone line to get broadband ,
    most area,s are not wired for fibre ,
    to put fibre in every street and town would cost millions of euros .
    if you are using 1000,s of drives , like facbook,
    hardrives are alot cheaper to run, than ssds,
    ssds are more expensive ,
    how much is a 1tb ssd .
    As long as people buy cds , for music they will be made .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Tdkc60cassette.jpg

Anybody thinking them^^^,you'd be wrong.

Anybody saying CDs, you're away with the Fairies.

Maybe in 10 years,time ,
    at the moment you need a phone line to get broadband ,
    most area,s are not wired for fibre ,
    to put fibre in every street and town would cost millions of euros .
    if you are using 1000,s of drives , like facbook,
    hardrives are alot cheaper to run, than ssds,
    ssds are more expensive ,
    how much is a 1tb ssd .
    As long as people buy cds , for music they will be made .

You don't need a PSTN phone service for VDSL. You just need the copper wires. They all sell their "fibre" services without phone.

Virgin / UPC also provides broadband without phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Tdkc60cassette.jpg

Anybody thinking them^^^,you'd be wrong.

Anybody saying CDs, you're away with the Fairies.

To be honest, the fact that one company has experienced an increase due to basically all of their competitors going out of business isn't really the most ringing endorsement.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

seamus wrote: »
    facturers have been really slow or really poor at implementing interconnectivity. I don't want a crappy little 15W speaker that plays music from my phone, but it seems that your only options are tiny portable speakers or huge €300 stereo systems. Nobody seems to make a €100 home radio/HiFi system that will play music from bluetooth or WiFi.
    My audio tech is decades out of date, so. :(

NAD turntable > Jolida valve amp > B&W speakers. Zero wireless. All quality cable terminating in Neutrik connectors.

There are other options. The ones that sounded better before. Nothing digital will ever sound as good as an analogue representation of what was captured in the studio, fed to a quality pair of speakers by an amp that remains invisible in the signal chain. Mine doesn't even have a tone control! :) You'd swear the performer was in the room in front of you.

There's no such thing as €100 HiFi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Log9 wrote: »
    One that keeps surprising me is fax machines. There are still a few people who will not move on to new technology and get somewhat put out when you explain you don't have one.

I had someone yesterday ask me to send them a fax. I had to remind them it's 2015 and many people in my office have only seen fax machines in 1990s TV shows.

The fax will still be here in 10-15 years. The amount of people who have been using a computer for the last 10 years and still cant attach a file to an email is alarming. For companies there is no hope in training some staff to use an email instead of sending a fax.

I am still surprised inkjet printers are still so popular. You can pick up a half decent B&W laser printer for less €50 and get toner that will cost less than 3 cents online. Yet people are still using pretty expensive and slow inkjet printers. I know they are good for colour printing. But literally 99.9% of what I print is in B&W.

Advertisement