Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games Art and Design

• 19-12-2015 4:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Can any students of this course tell me of there experience with it so far?
    It's only in its first year of running and I'd love to hear from people about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JamieOS

Very interested myself. How does the whole points system with the portfolio work? I've only got about 345 points in the LC, so I'm not even sure if I'm eligible. I'm doing a night course in Game development (was trying to find out if doing a full course in it is something I'd like) and I'm really liking it so far. We've only really dug into 3D modelling and a little bit of Unity, and haven't really dug into any programming yet, but I'm really enjoying what I've learned so far. I particularly like the whole 3D modelling side of things and piecing a level together. I hope to get a bit of programming under my belt to do some fancier things within levels and actually give them function.

Does the course have a good amount of time dedicated to things like 3D modelling, texturing and all that side of things? Most games development courses I've looked at are 90% Software development with a module vaguely related to Games tacked onto each semester. The course in IT Carlow seems to be one of the better ones, but still very much focusing on mostly programming from what I can tell. I'm definitely not opposed to programming, but I really don't want to get into a course that is 90% software development with a little pinch of Games related stuff put in. The modules certainly seem to be what I'm after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BoLgEr

I've applied for it anyway. From what I've heard its more content creation based in comparison to the programming centered game courses.

As far as the portfolio goes you get a score out of 600 for your portfolio which is then thats added to your LC/FETAC points score and places are award based on the total.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Nightman16

So anyone else hear back from them today. Got offered a place. Been a struggle to sort accommodation though.

Advertisement