Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merry Christmas everyone :-)

Options
  • 19-12-2015 5:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

I know so many of you are DREADING a sober Christmas, I know those Budweiser horses are running merrily on their way on the TV soon, I know that others will be drinking around you, I know it seems like such a HUGE feat. I felt exactly the same. When I stopped drinking and Christmas approached, I felt no joy at it, no looking forward to it, because I was going to be sober, I felt like there was something missing and every time I felt myself thinking of a nice Christmas, I got a pang of regret because I would not be partaking in the festivities.

Except it did....I laughed and joked, I celebrated, I cooked and ate, I enjoyed my children's,relations & friends excitement with delight instead of endurance, I woke each morning over the season, sober, triumphant and clear headed. I realised how STRONG I was, I commended myself on getting through such a festive time without my crutch. I reveled in what I remembered and how much more I took notice of, I shuddered when I saw myself in the drunkenness of others and most of all I felt SO grateful that the spell had been broken for me...the magic of booze was gone and the realisation that drink DOES NOT make everything bigger and better and louder and more wonderful, it only seems that way especially when you have a glass in your hand.

A sober Christmas IS doable and it IS worth it. You WILL get through it and although it will seem strange at first, it will just be a “different” kind of Christmas and not a CRAP one....

Let this Christmas be the best Christmas ever and one you remember forever.

Merry Christmas Everyone

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well said Realies.:)

A very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all on this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

Good post. Well done.

It certainly is doable. I just got through my first sober Christmas and hopefully many more ahead.

I'm happy to be working towards exploring new mental space and to be redefining what using alcohol and or other drugs is to me.

I've struggled with the idea of life becoming boring when choosing to go completely sober, but really the only boring thing is to not explore alternatives lifestyles/ways of doing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It would help to remember that quitting is a process and having spikes of cravings is normal. I know it was hard for me to let go of the idea that I could be "perfect at quitting" in the sense of not having any issues once I made my mind up. I had to learn and accept that quitting isn't about never having anymore cravings ever, but more about what we decide to do about them. Just a thought.

Advertisement