Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good multimeter to get?:)

Options
  • 19-12-2015 6:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Looking to pick up a good multimeter any advice lads?:) for years I have been using the T5 1000 sadly it's days are numbered. Any advice on a good one to get? Large scale refinery plant is the work I am in mostly Mainteance and troubleshooting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I use the fluke 179, hasn't given me any problems (apart from probe cables of course)

I've used a T5 before, but found the resistance limit of 1000 ohms too small especially for troubleshooting.

Also I rarely need a clamp meter, but I do have an add on clamp to use when I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Fluke is a very good brand and the 179 an excellent meter. All down to cost really and how much you want to spend. Megger, fluke, unit all do good multimeters, of varying costs and functions.
    Don't rule out a clamp meter too. Some have all the functions you need. Current, diode, voltage, frequency and resistance to name a few. Have a look on isswww.co.uk, give you an idea of what's out there and cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Manitoba2015

Cheers lads in Canada the 179 is showing about 400 odd bucks on Amazon..
    Yes I found the T5 to be not the greatest I used to use the fluke Megger ohms for a better reading when I was checking resistance but I would now like to invest in a good multimeter:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It's a pity they don't make a version of the T5 capable of a decent resistance measurements.

Don't forget you probably need to get a current clamp too if you do get something like the 179.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I use the Fluke 325 clamp meter it ticks all the box's for me and it's a tidy siz,e it's great for industrial use on motors large cables etc... I also have I think it's a fluke 87 for dc mA readings good meter but for lighter work. If you had the T5 have a look at the 323,324,325 series.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have a Fluke 375, it has the following features:

● Resistance measurement up to 60kΩ

● AC or DC current measurement up to 600A (clamp on) - Current can be set to to record inrush (100 ms) value, great when setting up protection on a motor.
    AC range can be extended up to 2500A with iFlex accessory (I don't have this)

● Frequency measurement up to 500Hz (clamp on) - Great for commissioning / set up of VSDs

● AC or DC voltage up to 600V

● Backlit display

● Continuity <30Ω

Not cheap (about €400 as far as I can remember), but worth it in my opinion.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Manitoba2015 did you buy a multimeter yet? If so what did you buy?

Fluke 87V and 374 float my boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Manitoba2015

Thanks all I went with the 375 she's a beauty :) 375 bucks on Amazon delivered :)

Thanks all I went with the 375 she's a beauty :) 375 bucks on Amazon delivered :)

Good choice.

May God bless all who sail in her :D:):D

• Advertisement
Advertisement