Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRA CEC members spouses/partners get an xmas bonus

Options
  • 19-12-2015 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/partners-of-garda-officials-paid-200-christmas-bonus-1.2471861

So it's hit the media that the GRA CEC members have voted and accepted to provide the spouses/partners of the CEC members with a €200 voucher for some reason. While the members of the GRA, those who pay and provide the CEC with their additional wages, get SFA.

Until it's been fully clarified, I don't want to stick to a reaction, but I can't see how the CEC can stand behind these payments, if true, while a large amount of their membership is struggling financially.

And while it is definitely something that needs to be addressed, it should be internal, the media or anyone else can't do anything about it. I fear it will detract from the real issues, ie: core pay restoration, reversal of FEMPI measures, etc.

Comments

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/partners-of-garda-officials-paid-200-christmas-bonus-1.2471861

So it's hit the media that the GRA CEC members have voted and accepted to provide the spouses/partners of the CEC members with a €200 voucher for some reason. While the members of the GRA, those who pay and provide the CEC with their additional wages, get SFA.

Until it's been fully clarified, I don't want to stick to a reaction, but I can't see how the CEC can stand behind these payments, if true, while a large amount of their membership is struggling financially.

And while it is definitely something that needs to be addressed, it should be internal, the media or anyone else can't do anything about it. I fear it will detract from the real issues, ie: core pay restoration, reversal of FEMPI measures, etc.

The media forced official confirmation from them. Hadn't heard anything official otherwise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I really thought it was something from waterfordwhispers when i read it first...

Shocking, and it will probably signal the end of the current GRA as we know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Turner wrote: »

Maybe that's a good thing. A new GRA might actually get you guys the pay you deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I don't see the issue really. In the grand scheme of things, it is larely insignificant. CEC reps aren't paid, they only get expenses. It's a largely thankless job, that must seriously impact on family life. At least the CEC recognise this, and show a small token of appreciation.

That being said, it's the type of thing that probably should have been gotten rid of when the economy went bad, and all the faux outrage on social media would seem to confirm this.

I certainly wouldn't begrudge them this once a year gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

What role to the GRA reps significant others play in the running of the GRA?

• Advertisement

I don't think it should. It's a chance to change and be more open. The GRA don't communicate enough and leads members to think they are doing nothing when the opposite is true.

infacteh wrote: »
    I don't see the issue really. In the grand scheme of things, it is larely insignificant. CEC reps aren't paid, they only get expenses. It's a largely thankless job, that must seriously impact on family life. At least the CEC recognise this, and show a small token of appreciation.

That being said, it's the type of thing that probably should have been gotten rid of when the economy went bad, and all the faux outrage on social media would seem to confirm this.

I certainly wouldn't begrudge them this once a year gift.

On the cec then yea?

It's an absolute disgrace, I'm sick of bankrolling the gra & their free weeekends away on the piss, I'm not about to start giving their mots 200/250 Euro cos their spouses make a lot more than me.

It's about time there was complete transparency about what expenses every member gets.

I sincerly hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

This has been going on for years it seems. Some of the revelations of expenses have to be wrong. €450 a month for a phone? How the hell could you even run up that bill? You'd have to be on a bill plan from when mobile phones first came to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

mynamejeff wrote:
    Sure , if you get me a whistle , i could blow it and you could come and help me

Don't see anything about a phone bill in the article

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    On the cec then yea?

It's an absolute disgrace, I'm sick of bankrolling the gra & their free weeekends away on the piss, I'm not about to start giving their mots 200/250 Euro cos their spouses make a lot more than me.

It's about time there was complete transparency about what expenses every member gets.

I'd agree with the greater transperancy, but like I said, I've no doubt being a CEC impacts greatly on family life, seeing as it's unpaid volunteer work. It's great to see some element of the job recognise the impact on families.
    This has been going on for years it seems. Some of the revelations of expenses have to be wrong. €450 a month for a phone? How the hell could you even run up that bill? You'd have to be on a bill plan from when mobile phones first came to Ireland.

This was clarified as being €100 a month

seeing as it's unpaid volunteer work.

With great paid expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd agree with the greater transperancy, but like I said, I've no doubt being a CEC impacts greatly on family life, seeing as it's unpaid volunteer work. It's great to see some element of the job recognise the impact on families.

But that's just it, it's not unpaid. They get a salary. GRA reps don't, CEC members do. And, no one is forcing them. It's a voluntary position that they all went for, and they're supposed to represent their members, but it seems they (not all, i'm generalising) are more interested in money. Where is my bonus to my family for working evenings, weekends, nights, bank holidays, etc? It's a disgraceful payment, one which never should have been paid, or at the very least stopped when the recession hit. Members of AGS struggling to get bills paid and the wives of CEC members getting vouchers at Christmas time while those same CEC members are getting the Garda wage and a CEC wage.......

Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but until the GRA publish their financial reports detailing exactly how much each person gets paid, where all the money is going, etc, neither of us can be 100% correct. And therein lies the problem, they won't publish it. Is it not my right to see where my subscription money is going?

This was clarified as being €100 a month

I get unlimited calls for less than 30 a month. They're obviously not vouched expenses.

With great paid expenses.

Expenses paid at the Civil Service rate, 60c a km and 8 hour sub / overnight etc
    But that's just it, it's not unpaid. They get a salary. GRA reps don't, CEC members do. And, no one is forcing them. It's a voluntary position that they all went for, and they're supposed to represent their members, but it seems they (not all, i'm generalising) are more interested in money. Where is my bonus to my family for working evenings, weekends, nights, bank holidays, etc? It's a disgraceful payment, one which never should have been paid, or at the very least stopped when the recession hit. Members of AGS struggling to get bills paid and the wives of CEC members getting vouchers at Christmas time while those same CEC members are getting the Garda wage and a CEC wage.......

CEC members don't get a salary. They get a Garda salary same as you. I'm sure you can appreciate that a CEC doesn't squeeze all his Rep work into his rostered tours, that he is regularly required to work outside that, and rearrange tours of duty, resulting in the loss of night hours etc. I'd say very few, if any, CEC's manage to get through 4 rest days without a phonecall or email work related.

There has to be some incentive to take on all this extra work.
    Where is my bonus to my family for working evenings, weekends, nights, bank holidays, etc?
    Your bonus for working unsocial hours is your unsocial hours allowance.

I've been told they get a salary, and that info comes from someone i trust. So, again, until the expenses are released, that's what i'm going to believe. And yes, they receive calls, etc, but they volunteered for this. They are there to represent us. If they don't like it, leave. There are plenty who are willing to take over. The incentive is helping their fellow colleagues, and that's all it should be. Money makes people greedy and forget why they're there in the first place. Look at Stone, living the life of luxury and completely forgetting why he is where he is. He doesn't care about the mule on the ground.

I've no problem with expenses, they should be paid. I've problems with using my sub money for non-GRA related matters, ie: these vouchers, paying for media to stay in hotels, etc. There is huge wastage in the GRA, and they point blank refuse to publish the financial records. How can we trust an organisation that's supposed to represent us when they hide where our money is going?

My unsocial hours allowance is payment for working. These vouchers are bonuses for nothing, given to people who are not even Gardai, let alone in the GRA. The GRA is even more resistant to change than AGS is.

I've no problem with expenses, they should be paid. I've problems with using my sub money for non-GRA related matters, ie: these vouchers, paying for media to stay in hotels, etc. There is huge wastage in the GRA, and they point blank refuse to publish the financial records. How can we trust an organisation that's supposed to represent us when they hide where our money is going?

What's the issue with the media having their rooms covered? The GRA get huge exposure of their conference. And the way the media has gone these days you can be sure they wouldn't send journalists for the two days if the rooms weren't provided.

foreign wrote: »
    What's the issue with the media having their rooms covered? The GRA get huge exposure of their conference. And the way the media has gone these days you can be sure they wouldn't send journalists for the two days if the rooms weren't provided.

The media rarely portrays AGS in a good light, even if their expenses are paid by the GRA. I see nothing wrong with not paying them, if they want to attend, they can. And instead of relying on the media to do the work, the GRA could make better use of their web page to get the same points across, and allow the media to feed off of that. The GRA are too silent, and should be more proactive in getting the word out, through the website, that way there would be no fear of media spin or anything taken out of context or changed to suit said medias agenda. Everything would be there in black and white on the site.

The media rarely portrays AGS in a good light, even if their expenses are paid by the GRA. I see nothing wrong with not paying them, if they want to attend, they can. And instead of relying on the media to do the work, the GRA could make better use of their web page to get the same points across, and allow the media to feed off of that. The GRA are too silent, and should be more proactive in getting the word out, through the website, that way there would be no fear of media spin or anything taken out of context or changed to suit said medias agenda. Everything would be there in black and white on the site.

Exactly. Why should we be paying for food and board for media instead of simply making press releases? The conferences should be for getting issues sorted, not for playing up for the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

If the GRA think putting up the media is going to win them over they are absolute fools, they would stab them in the back in the morning, shows a serious lack of judgement and reflects poorly on their ability to get their message across.

• Advertisement

So is there going to be any kind of a move against the gra?
    We need a massive nationwide movement to do something.

We need transparent expenses shown every year.
    I heard that gra reps go to the agm every year, hotel, all meals are covered. Fair enough, you may say, but what about the 400/600 that is given to every rep to drink while there? Is this true?
    How do we find out? How do we gather together and do something?

You put yourself forward for election.

You put yourself forward for election.

If you can't beat them join them is it??

We are all entitled to know where our money goes and exactly what and who it is spent on.

If you can't beat them join them is it??

We are all entitled to know where our money goes and exactly what and who it is spent on.

No. Change happens from within. The GRA is very democratic, anyone can become a CEC, providing they have the time to do it. And then you can effect change.

No. Change happens from within. The GRA is very democratic, anyone can become a CEC, providing they have the time to do it. And then you can effect change.

It's clearly obvious that doesn't happen.
    I know people who thought this, they either conformed with the cartel or just left dissolutioned.

It's clearly obvious that doesn't happen.
    I know people who thought this, they either conformed with the cartel or just left dissolutioned.

There is a lot of new faces in the last year. Wouldn't surprise me if they are the ones that brought this to light.

Over half the CEC are new. Change is slow, but it does happen, and is happening.

Advertisement