Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Players' Characters

• 19-12-2015 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Do you struggle to warm to a player on your team because of off-field issues?

I am a Vikings fan, and AP's child beating bothers me.
    How about Incognito for Bills' fans?
    Even Brady's Trump support?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I gave no problem with Brady saying that he is a friend of Trump's and that he supports his friends (its something like that he said this week).

But I do have a problem with people suggesting he should now go and say explicitly that he does not support Trump's Muslim immigration policy.

Why should he have to do that ?

He's quite entitled to have the same view as Trump on the matter and should not be forced to say otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It is the one thing I have ever found of Tom Brady that bothered me, hearing him say how great of a president Donald Trump would be, I just can't get on board with that ****.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,899 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brady hasn't said he supports any of Trump's policies. He just said that Trump is a friend and he supports all his friends.

He never said he vote for him either. He doesn't have to defend anything.

As regards players with off the field issues, I have had problems with that in the past.

I just can't support anybody who made a child bleed even if he is one of the most exciting players to watch on a football field.

The other one that really gets me is Hardy but I despise the Cowboys anyways so it doesn't surprise me that they'd give a job to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

D9Male wrote: »
    Even Brady's Trump support?

OP, I think it's a case of you needing to take a step back from the keyboard and reading what you typed. Seriously though, a famous Football player meets another famous guy at some golfing charity events. This guy then runs for President, makes some recent questionable statements and we're supposed to question Brady's character because of it? Dafuq? Do you really think Brady, whose obsession with all things football is probably unmatched, is going to distract himself and come out and embroil himself in political controversy by wading into a debate on political policy? Yes it's a rhetorical question and we all know the answer to it. Christ, if Brady didn't even bad mouth Goodell & the league office, after they shít on their number 1 star. Then I don't think he'll do it to anyone he knows outside of football, over matters that don't concern him.

There is a huge gulf between discomfort about a player because of something criminal and because of political views...whether Brady even holds them or not. It wouldn't bother me if he lifted Trump around on his shoulders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

OP, I think it's a case of you needing to take a step back from the keyboard and reading what you typed. Seriously though, a famous Football player meets another famous guy at some golfing charity events. This guy then runs for President, makes some recent questionable statements and we're supposed to question Brady's character because of it? Dafuq? Do you really think Brady, whose obsession with all things football is probably unmatched, is going to distract himself and come out and embroil himself in political controversy by wading into a debate on political policy? Yes it's a rhetorical question and we all know the answer to it. Christ, if Brady didn't even bad mouth Goodell & the league office, after they shít on their number 1 star. Then I don't think he'll do it to anyone he knows outside of football, over matters that don't concern him.

I think your tone is pretty patronising, to be honest.

If anybody suggested publicly that I in any way endorsed Trump's bigoted, xenophobic views, I would be quick to shut them down. Why would I need to step away from the keyboard for being disappointed in someone who doesn't do so? I think a lot more about Colin Kaepernick because he has come out against Trump. And A-Rod, the QB for a divisional rival went way up in my estimation because of his comments earlier this year after the game immediately after the Paris attacks.

For me, Trump and his views are extremely dangerous. Of course not everybody is supposed to speak against them, but whether Brady likes it or not, his refusal to distance himself from those views can be seen as an implicit endorsement.

Like I said, AP being a child beater makes me think less of him. Fair enough, you don't think that TB's refusal to comment makes you think less of him, but I don't think there is a need to be so patronising.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think Brady really just doesn't want to say anything on the subject, he's rather just stay out of it. He doesn't want to alienate half his fan base by commenting either way, he also doesn't want to insult Trump by publicly criticizing him.

He hasn't really stated his position and to be honest that is fair enough, there should be no onus on sports stars to comment on these things.

I agree with you that the people who have spoken out have gone up in my estimation but I'd have no issue with Brady keeping his own counsel on the matter.

Now that is a coherent reply. I disagree that anyone is immune from speaking out on this stuff, as here saying nothing is seen as (implicit) support.

Trump is a bully. I think his views are far from "politics". This is about fundamental human decency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Now that is a coherent reply. I disagree that anyone is immune from speaking out on this stuff, as here saying nothing is seen as (implicit) support.

Trump is a bully. I think his views are far from "politics". This is about fundamental human decency.

Out of curiosity why does it bother you so much what the views Brady or any Athlete's views are? And I am asking a genuine question. Unless you know them personally or deal with them directly in life their views really have no bearing on your life and thus really shouldn't bother you that much.

I am not going to share my feelings on trump does that mean I also support Trump implicitly?

Lets face it no one owes you or anyone an explanation as to their views or level of friendship with someone and if they share the same views with that friend. If you feel their tight lips makes them guilty of sharing those views then really it is you that has the issue.

See I think the issue with hardy is that he got away with it I kind of forgave Vick to an extent because he at least served his time and came out of it (or seemed to) a different person hardys never been punished and is clearly and publicly still an asshole that rubs me the wrong way.

I don't care about Brady he's just supporting trump as a friend not his ideologys if i had a billionaire buddy I'd stay on his good side as well

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think Brady really just doesn't want to say anything on the subject, he's rather just stay out of it. He doesn't want to alienate half his fan base by commenting either way, he also doesn't want to insult Trump by publicly criticizing him.

He hasn't really stated his position and to be honest that is fair enough, there should be no onus on sports stars to comment on these things.

I agree with you that the people who have spoken out have gone up in my estimation but I'd have no issue with Brady keeping his own counsel on the matter.

Brady has said he hopes Trump can win and become president. That is not exactly keeping his own counsel or refusing to commit to a position.

(I am unaware of any comment he has made regarding Trumps latest ****e, but I wouldnt expect him to comment on everything Trump says or all his policies or whatever for the record)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I have as much respect for, or interest in, Brady's view on politics, as I do for Trump's view on football. Who gives a ****? As far as politics is concerned, Brady is just some guy, so who cares what his opinion is on it? It's not like he's some respected expert on foreign policy or economic development. If I want to know about how to pick out a guy running a bootleg, I'll ask Brady, if I want to know about the middle east I'll ask...well...not Donald Trump obviously because he's a dangerous cretin, but...you get my point.

On topic, the Bears have been pretty good at ditching problem players this year but I've been uncomfortable supporting a few in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

I have no respect for certain people based on their actions or their political views. I don't necessarily differentiate between the two. To me they both highlight the sort of person you are. BNP, UKIP, Maria Le Penn and the National Front in France are all detestable to me because of their political views. Would I have any time for people who would class these people as their friends? Certainly not.

JCTO wrote: »
    Out of curiosity why does it bother you so much what the views Brady or any Athlete's views are? And I am asking a genuine question. Unless you know them personally or deal with them directly in life their views really have no bearing on your life and thus really shouldn't bother you that much.

I am not going to share my feelings on trump does that mean I also support Trump implicitly?

Lets face it no one owes you or anyone an explanation as to their views or level of friendship with someone and if they share the same views with that friend. If you feel their tight lips makes them guilty of sharing those views then really it is you that has the issue.

Because he is a famous person that lots of young people look up to. His support of Trump can be seen as implicit support of the man's policies. Discrimination is becoming normalised, so I think it is bad that a public figure was given a chance to make a stand, but didn't.

Furthermore, he is probably the most famous person in a sport I love, so that is why I think about his actions more than say Frankie (44) from Fresno.

Fair enough if you think Brady doesn't owe me an explanation. He doesn't. Nor does AP, Hardy, OJ Simpson. But for me the discrimination Trump talks about is a bad thing...Brady was given a great chance to say something helpful and he didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

OP, your thread was about players characters and you've chosen to focus on a guy who's tried to stay away from the debate on Trump; and hasn't beaten children or women, or committed murder.
    I mean, seriously. All the serious issues with players in the NFL, and you lump Brady in with them. Come on.

Ray Rice.

Don't like him

I didn't focus on Brady, but I responded to what I felt was a patronising post. Jeez.

In my OP I intentionally picked three very different situations where players have been criticised by fans of their own team.

In fact my OP listed three scenarios, and responders seem to have focussed on Brady.

Because he is a famous person that lots of young people look up to. His support of Trump can be seen as implicit support of the man's policies. Discrimination is becoming normalised, so I think it is bad that a public figure was given a chance to make a stand, but didn't.

This old Chestnut. Those kids who look up to Brady now wont be voting on the upcoming elections so you are safe there but most people could care less about what Brady thinks about Trump including kids. Its actually a small minority of people all bent out of shape about it.

I have said it before and I will say it again you can't help everyone and impressionable and stupid people will always be impressionable and stupid and Bradys good obad views will never change their views. You cant help stupid people who cant make their own minds up. If someone blindly follows Trump due to Bradys support that is their problem and not Bradys. Why the fook would he care what people think of him nor should he.
    Fair enough if you think Brady doesn't owe me an explanation. He doesn't. Nor does AP, Hardy, OJ Simpson. But for me the discrimination Trump talks about is a bad thing...Brady was given a great chance to say something helpful and he didn't.

This made me laugh. You are now comparing Bradys actions to that of guys who either hit a kid their girlfriends or allegedly killed someone. Love it. Brady's views = scumbag etc etc As I said nothing more than sensationalism from you really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

In fact my OP listed three scenarios, and responders seem to have focussed on Brady.

Yes, because he's in a list with a child beater. In a thread about player characters, and all those you could have chosen, you list Brady.

The focus you've given on Trump appears to be your agenda. If so, fair enough. But at least take it to the political thread.

• Advertisement

I am not comparing their actions. Show me where I did that. Sensationalism from you, really. I am just saying nobody owes me an explanation.

Fair enough on the kids point, that was not well made. I do think if anyone in their right mind was accused of being on board with those comments would nip it in the bud.

I am not comparing their actions. Show me where I did that. Sensationalism from you, really. I am just saying nobody owes me an explanation.

You weren't comparing them? Then why bring up AP, Hardy and OJ then? Sure as hell comes off as you comparing them. If that wasn't your intention then I apologize.
    Fair enough on the kids point, that was not well made. I do think if anyone in their right mind was accused of being on board with those comments would nip it in the bud.

But why should he though? If Brady feels he doesn't have to explain himself then that should be good enough for anybody. The only people upset with Brady are Anti Trump folk like yourself really.

We are going to have to agree to disagree at this point and I do apologize if it came off I was attacking you in any way not my intention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,899 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tom Brady's name shouldn't be even in this thread. He has no off the field issues that we know of.

This should be about players who break the law, treat women badly, treat kids badly or are just plain outright thugs. There are plenty of them.

To be discussing the fact that Brady is a personal friend of a Presidential candidate is ludicrous.

FFS it's like I'm reading ESPN!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think your tone is pretty patronising, to be honest.

Then you must have sensitivity issues. Considering you threw Brady into the equation with Peterson and Incognito, I believe it was reasonable for me to ask you to seriously contemplate what you were insinuating.
    Why would I need to step away from the keyboard for being disappointed in someone who doesn't do so?.

Wrong. I never told you to step away from the keyboard. I told you to take a step back and read what you typed.There's a big difference between what you are implying and what I actually said.
    For me, Trump and his views are extremely dangerous. Of course not everybody is supposed to speak against them, but whether Brady likes it or not, his refusal to distance himself from those views can be seen as an implicit endorsement.

Wow, you appear to be making such big leaps there, it almost reads as an agenda.
    Like I said, AP being a child beater makes me think less of him. Fair enough, you don't think that TB's refusal to comment makes you think less of him, but I don't think there is a need to be so patronising.

Joe Flacco never public condemned Ray Rice for beating the crap out of his wife. Joe Flacco also plays on the same team as Suggs, another wife beater who had judicial restraining orders issued against him for spousal & child abuse. Of course he conveniently married his woman, got her to retract and kept himself out of jail.

So by your benchmark OP, shouldn't Flacco have come out and condemned such scumbag players on his own team who abuse women? And I'm just wondering, how you even managed such an obvious oversight on your part.

I really like 'Cool Joe' and he's one of my favourite QB's in the league. Now do I expect Flacco to make such commentary on his teammates or friends? No. Do I think less of him for not doing so? No and it never even entered into my head until you started this thread. Should he be held publicly accountable and obligated to make statements for the actions of his teammates or friends? Fúck no and to even suggest it is complete and utter nonsense imo.

OK. I shouldn't talk about Brady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

OK. I shouldn't talk about Brady.

Nobody said you shouldn't talk about TB. But it was a little bit silly to include his name in a thread about players with dodgy characters.

I thought saying "Even Tom Brady" meant that I didn't think they were comparable. But maybe I am silly.

Advertisement