Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooling Recommendation and Advice

Options
  • 19-12-2015 11:03am

I'm having an issue with my PC. I've an i7 4790 and MAXIMUS VII RANGER mainboard. I've a 770 GTX card soon to be upgraded and an NZXT H440 mid tower case.

When gaming my average CPU temp is so high my PC keeps freezing and requires a reboot. It was an infrequent issue that is now happening regularly.

I've measured the temps and its up in the 90s while gaming so need to improve cooling. I don't have great ventilation around the PC as it's inside a wood cabinet and this isn't something I am likely to be able to change.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a cooling solution that might help (happy to get and install water cooling).

I'm using the stock cooler that came with the CPU and I am not overclocking.

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Right, grab a can of de-compressed air, and give your PC a good clean.
    Next, see of the temperatures change.
    If not, remove the CPU cooler, and see of the thermal paste is properaly applied. If not remove it with 99% Iso-Propanol and reapply a fresh batch.
    Record the temps again to see an improvement. If none was found, you might be better off getting a CPU cooler like the CM hyper 212 Evo, or along those lines.
    Hope this helped!

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    Right, grab a can of de-compressed air, and give your PC a good clean.
    Next, see of the temperatures change.
    If not, remove the CPU cooler, and see of the thermal paste is properaly applied. If not remove it with 99% Iso-Propanol and reapply a fresh batch.
    Record the temps again to see an improvement. If none was found, you might be better off getting a CPU cooler like the CM hyper 212 Evo, or along those lines.
    Hope this helped!

Thanks, that really helped! Inside of the pc is very clean as is, it's contained in a cabinet so no dust really. Will check the paste later and thanks for the cooler suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The best thing to do is give it some airflow, all the fans in the world won't cool your CPU if the PC can only suck in warm air

Is there any way to give it some air space?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Exactly, its in a cabinet so its recycling the hot air back into itself. It needs a supply of cool air or it will always suffer.

I leave the doors open when I'm playing games. Otherwise I could try and cut vent's into the sides or back. But generally there are 3 walls and then 2 open doors. Without gaming it's generally registering temps of average 45c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I have that case, its not the best case for airflow but my cpu temps never get above 70c using a corsair h50. Mines not in a cabinet though. Give a better cpu cooler a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would also say that the CPU cooler is improperly applied, even with the stock cooler in a less than ideal situation like described you should not be hitting the 90's unless it's like a sauna in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Maybe take a picture of the case with the side off and post it here. If there is anything wrong it will be spotted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

45c is kinda high for idle temps.
    Mine idle's at 17c and goes to 38 when gaming. (fallour 4, witcher 3).

Definately need to remove it from the cabinet to let it breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

45c is kinda high for idle temps.
    Mine idle's at 17c and goes to 38 when gaming. (fallour 4, witcher 3).

Definately need to remove it from the cabinet to let it breath.

What is the ambient temperature that allows the CPU to run at that temp? 10C?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

I'd also like to know, unless he's using LN2 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

LN2 or attic+water is about the only way you'd get idle temps that low. Even first thing on a winter morning when my system was under water, CPU idle temps would be around 20°C or a little above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

He might be based in the artic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I would also say that the CPU cooler is improperly applied, even with the stock cooler in a less than ideal situation like described you should not be hitting the 90's unless it's like a sauna in the room.

Id say this as well,cant see temps of 90C+ being normal even in a restricted airflow scenario.

First thing id do is reseat the CPU and cooler

Advertisement