Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Stolen bike returned. Quick question

• 19-12-2015 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

Grinch got me early folks. My bike was parked in the driveway today in a housing estate and got robbed. That's what I get for being lazy and not leaving it out the back. They didn't get the key. Just got a call from the guards as I was writing this that they actually found the bike. Said they'll need to asses the damage and check for fingerprints and can have it back to me today or Monday. I'm expecting a large hit of cosmetic damage with the fairing and all. Keep vigilant and lock your bikes up folks. I won't be making the same mistake twice.

One question though. I haven't reported this yet to the insurance company as I just finished dealing with the guards and they found it within 10 minutes of leaving my house. Can I make any claim for damages? I have fully comprehensive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Can I make any claim for damages? I have fully comprehensive.
    Fully comp, yes, but they will send out an assessor to check out all the damage first to assess whether it is economically viable to repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Unless the damage is substantial I would not bothering claiming, it will only hike up your premium for yrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Great, well done. No wonder Insurance cost has gone thru the roof,
    Bike stolen and you haven't even seen what damage is done, or even if it is damaged, your first question is "can I claim"

Typical, You are probably the first to moan when your insurance increases.

get a life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Big C wrote:

Ahaha no I'm wondering if the damage is extensive enough if it's possible to claim. Got a bit of a chip on your shoulder there mate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Have you an "excess" on your policy....??
    Dont see why you couldnt claim at all if youre comp covered...
    Get the bike back and consider the damage versus your(our) premium for the next 5 years..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭podger456

Mine was stolen/damaged a few years ago, 4k claim and I paid about €100 more in premiums for a few years so well worth it in my case. Talk to the insurance co when you get the damage assessed and see what the consequences of a claim will be in terms of premiums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Big C wrote: »
    Bike stolen and you haven't even seen what damage is done, or even if it is damaged, your first question is "can I claim"

get a life
    Insurance is the biggest fucking scam of all...

You're paying in advance for something that 'might or might not happen' & at the end of the year if nothing has happened what rebate do you get...nothing?!

The man has paid in advance for fully comp, what's the point of it if he's not going to use it?

Insurance increases annually regardless these days, next time your insurance is due they'll have some excuse for relieving you of yet more €'s & lining their own coffers...kop the fuck on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

get a life

Insurance cost has gone thru the roof because scumbags ride without insurance, steal and damage bikes. Not because people like the OP who pay top dollar for their insurance make legitimate claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭A Law

get a life

Is this not the point of insurance? Whats the point in having insurance if you don't claim when your bike is damaged? Its the people claiming for vastly exaggerated or bogus injuries that are driving the price up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Bad luck - good luck. Hope you'll be looking on the bright side when you see it.
    Check the policy small print first. Did you tell the Ins Co. it would be parked in a shed or garage or secured with a lock\anchor\alarm.
    AFAIR if mine is stolen from the garden - or even the neighbour's garden - I'm on sticky ground with a claim because I stated "parked in a garage".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Possibly different for car insurance but I had a claim a good few years ago. My insurance was about €600. When the renewal came a few months later they wanted €1800. So as mentioned above. It would depend on how much damage is caused. If its €1000 or less I would be inclined to fix it out of my own pocket rather than go the insurance route. Don't forget, if you do claim insurance you will be asked every year for the next 5 years if you have made a claim. Could it affect your car policy (if you have one) I'm not sure but you will still have to tell them you made a claim.

Bad luck - good luck. Hope you'll be looking on the bright side when you see it.
    Check the policy small print first. Did you tell the Ins Co. it would be parked in a shed or garage or secured with a lock\anchor\alarm.
    AFAIR if mine is stolen from the garden - or even the neighbour's garden - I'm on sticky ground with a claim because I stated "parked in a garage".

I said back garden but I think it'd down as in driveway. According to my policy I can make one claim without losing my no claims bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

If you have fully protected NCB on your policy then go ahead and claim.
    I have fully protected NCB and make a claim when my vstrom was damaged. Payout was over 3k to cover my bike damages and the damage to the other vehicle.

My insurance renewal price still dropped a few months later. But you will be stuck with the same insurance company for a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

goodlad wrote: »
    If you have fully protected NCB on your policy then go ahead and claim.
    I have fully protected NCB and make a claim when my vstrom was damaged. Payout was over 3k to cover my bike damages and the damage to the other vehicle.

My insurance renewal price still dropped a few months later. But you will be stuck with the same insurance company for a few years

Not a bike but my car insurance - paud a premium to have no claims protection & to be able to make two claims each year only paying the normal excess without it affecting my track record - BUT - when I went to renew & get a quote they did count it & they put it on my claims Record - MY insurance went up, and other companies wouldn't touch me ir their quotes were so high I couldn't move. Seemed like a bit of a customer cheat to me.

Btw - in your little print does your insurance specufy that it has is typically kept locked TO something on in your back garden - your insurance might be invalid otherwise :(

They really get you every way :(hioe your bikes not too damaged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

AFAIK those statements as to where it is kept would normally refer to "overnight" parking. I mean to say - if you had the bike out to wash and dry it for Christmas, in the front of the house, in the middle of the day... wink.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

How do people secure there bikes outside? I have a lock on mine. For when it's out on the street.

TallGlass wrote: »
    How do people secure there bikes outside? I have a lock on mine. For when it's out on the street.

You can buy anchors that are dug into the ground. Usually a good idea. Stops people from just picking them up and throwing it into the back of a van. I'll be looking into getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

A policy I had before said that if my bike was stolen within a half a mile of my house it was not covered unless it was secured in my shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I had attempted theft of my bike a few years ago (with Liberty insurance at the time).

They broke the steering lock damaged the subframe, so was going to be 2.5k to repair.

Went the insurance route, and they paid everything, no increase in premium or loss of no claims bonus -- part of the policy was covering theft/attempted theft without penalty.

The bike wasn't even in it's usual location that night, but that wasn't even a question from the insurance co.

Worth getting an assessment of the damage and a phone call to your insurer to see what the craic is.

Lucky enough for me it looks like all they wrecked was the ignition and the clamp holding it. Looks like they blew a fuse when trying to hotwire and just left it when it wouldn't start. So I'm out of pocket about E200 and back on the road with no need to involve insurance. Grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement