Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Housing and Retail application for Lusk.

Options
  • 19-12-2015 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Wow,

this looks interesting, and very big
    The plan calls for 83 houses and 73 apartments, as well as a total of 13,146 sq m of retail, commercial and community space. A 4,324 sq m anchor retail store will be built as part of the scheme, as well as a 1,660 sq m discount food store.

Where exactly is this site, anyone know.

Can't see Dr Reilly being too happy, with a retail store + giant discount store close to his ''Investment'' in Lusk

http://linkis.com/www.independent.ie/b/bF2cZ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

martinn123 wrote: »
    Wow,

this looks interesting, and very big

Where exactly is this site, anyone know.

Can't see Dr Reilly being too happy, with a retail store + giant discount store close to his ''Investment'' in Lusk

http://linkis.com/www.independent.ie/b/bF2cZ

Its on the old Lusk Utd soccer pitch and clubhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Its on the old Lusk Utd soccer pitch and clubhouse

I wonder did they apply for permission to knock the Club-House, that was done last week.

Bit cheeky, if they did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

I see the development in Lusk at the station rd/old Lusk United club house site is back in the news.
    Their is a large article in the North County Leader this week.
    The plan consist's of 154 new dwellings to include 67 two bed homes, 78 three beds and 8 four bedroom dwellings. It also includes non-residential floor space comprising an Anchor Retail store, discount food store, retail units, a petrol filling station, two hot food take-away units, a drive-thru restaurant, a creche and a gym/fitness centre,on a 7 hectacre site.
    I take it ,include's 2 supermarkets,Mc Donald's style drive thru,and 3 storey apartment block's.
    Seem's to me to be total planning over kill, or they,Station Construction are chancing their arm knowing there option's will be whittled down during the planning process and appeal's.
    There's talk of three entrances on to Station Road, or five entrances to the village,” according to Councillor Ken Farrell.
    Full article here ... http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2016/02/09/concern-over-lusk-development/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

That is a bit intense ...

It sounds like they have just asked for everything and will then scale it back to get accepted.

The actual application on the Fingal CoCo site is F15A/0565

Edited to add:
    To be fair the response from the planning office is pretty robust:
    http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00514545.pdf

TL;DR version: Feck off would ya, ya chancers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

One thing that isn't set out very clearly on that application is how much parking they'd be putting in for the residential units. They're looking for an entrances from Lusk village into the new development. Given that Lusk village already has significant shortages with parking, I'd be concerned that that would just be aggravated.

I know there are quite a few objections in, including from the ET primary school.

• Advertisement

Thank's Halo,the response from the council is robust,as it should be,I couldn't actually see the build layout,looking at the site ,access traffic/volume wise is going to be an issue.
    As the Station Rd frontage is limited ,maybe 2 entrance's, the only access available on the Rathmore rd would have to be the roundabout at and through Lusk Village,I don't think resident's in Lusk Village or Orlynn Park are going to be too keen on the extra traffic volumes the site will generate.
    And the reason for the one way traffic system on the Dublin Rd was to reduce traffic volumes in the village and stop traffic rat racing through it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5241101,-6.1600128,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGR4R4-1pdyGwbgDzEXol3w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Thank's again to
    Originally posted by Irish Halo == That is a bit intense ...

It sounds like they have just asked for everything and will then scale it back to get accepted.

The actual application on the Fingal CoCo site is F15A/0565
    I've got a bit of the hang of the F.C.C planning site ,main info here ..http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=F15A/0565&theTabNo=2

Outline of the proposed development here ...http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00510554.pdf

Some of the floor plans...http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00510588.pdf

All main information and correspondence here... http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/Northgate.WebSearch/Results.aspx
    You would need a few hour's to study the print's,straight off the density is intence to say the least,with 2 thru road's from Station Rd to Raheny Lane around here ...https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5267776,-6.1583756,3a,75y,180h,87.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sD1_Q0yQmCpv60Vk_U8LVpQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en and like wise from Station Rd to Norseman walk around here ...https://www.google.com/maps/@53.525907,-6.1584808,3a,75y,270h,87.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_8Hs-VdNE3ckXgQuvG6iuQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

311 Total car parking space's at the supermarket,238 of these in an underground car park below the supermarket...footprint here ...http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00510588.pdf

I have been looking at the elevation print for the Station Rd side of the development..http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00510545.pdf.
    From left to right, village-west end, a new Rd called Burgage Lane ,between here and the existing Raheny Lane at Neary's/Lusk motor factors,will be called Scholars Square and will comprise of at least 8 houses and mix of shop's/duplex apartments fronting Station Rd.
    On the immediate right of Neary's will be the service station,I can't at this moment see the entrance to the petrol station on the print -- then a new thru Rd called Loughcommon Lane -the entrance practically opposite the entrance to Orlynn Park,there will be great fun here during busy times.
    Loughcommon Lane will meet the Lusk Village Raheny Lane in the development creating a new thru Rd.
    On the east side/ rush side of Loughcommon Lane will be the Discount Store ,taking up the corner site opposite the Senior Citizens home.
    You would literally want a day or 2 to study these prints not being an architect, it is a huge very intense development for a relatively small site.
    One thing is for certain,if this project is not planned and controlled properly,it will be an ungodly eyesore and a blot on the village for generations.
    I can't see if people can still make submissions or objections.
    On the FCC site it says the submission/observation period for this application expired on 20-Jan-2016.I don't know if this just refers to the planning application,it's probably looking at me,but it will be interesting to see how this all goes,thankfully the Community Council and FCC seem to be on the ball.
    It is a concern,because it does not effect Lusk alone,the when and how of this development when it goes ahead will have a major impact on any further development of the main st in Rush,most certainly any development in either site will effect how the other transpires,yes indeed a project for us all to keep a sharp eye on.

All Info Here ..http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=F15A/0565&theTabNo=2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I hope this does not get the go ahead.

I feel Rush, Lusk and Balbriggan have been dumped on over the last number of years with badly planned estates and builders/developers getting away with building some crap. Fair play to the people who have objected especially the school. Not a stone should be turned until there is proper playgrounds and open spaces included.

Have we not learned or will Fingal go chasing the levies?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Lusk is poorly connected - it along with Rush and Skerries need investment in a proper link road. You'd worry that only the immediate area would shop here - and that's a fairly captive market.

Just looking through some of the submissions. How do some people get elected as Councillors? Some (one in particular, look through them yourselves) don't bother to give reasons for their objection, and can't even spell.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by LeoB - I hope this does not get the go ahead.

I feel Rush, Lusk and Balbriggan have been dumped on over the last number of years with badly planned estates and builders/developers getting away with building some crap. Fair play to the people who have objected especially the school. Not a stone should be turned until there is proper playgrounds and open spaces included.

Have we not learned or will Fingal go chasing the levies?
    I have to agree Leo,actually I see ''recreation before development'' Posters being put up around the approaches to Lusk.
    I don't think the amount of commercial floor space or shops is required in Lusk,we definitely have enough Chemist's 3 and fast food takeaways 4,the service station is not warranted ,because these stations need massive traffic volumes to survive,their is all ready 2 convenience stores,3 hairdresser's and a barbers.

A purpose built health centre to cater for the 10,000 strong population of the area,instead of an out dated 4 bed semi detached house that currently serves the area.
    What Lusk does need is a proper purpose built community centre like the one in Donabate,we certainly do not need ''window box size piece's of grass''that are supposed to be''recreational area's''.
    The largest green area in Lusk is in Orlynn Pk and is put to great use for tennis/football practice/match's/summer schools etc,if it was not for this modest piece of grass,their would be hardly any casual recreational green space in Lusk apart from the walk around the semi completed ring road that F.C.C nearly made a total mess of and apart from the near deforestation of it.
    It say's a lot that one footpath around the village is relied upon for so much recreational use by villagers because of bad planning in the first place.
    I see Clare Daly,rightly opposed the applications,on the grounds that the pyrite issue's in Lusk village be addressed first by Station Construction.The same should also have applied to the builders of Chapel Farm who did't move a million miles away before starting a new construction project.
    In view of the need for housing in Dublin,and an urgent need for a proper main road for Lusk/Rush from the M1,proper light industry/office development to create local employment between the 2 villages,there is still no proper SAFE footpath to the train station.

Leo is right -Lusk as well as Rush needs a lot of things,we can certainly do without further development for the sake of development,we need to put right what should have been done in the first place before further development is considered.

P.s thanks sdanseo,I had't seen the numbers column above the documents page,that included the public submissions.

http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=F15A/0565&theTabNo=2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

dslamjack wrote: »
    I have to agree Leo,actually I see ''recreation before development'' Posters being put up around the approaches to Lusk.
    I don't think the amount of commercial floor space or shops is required in Lusk,we definitely have enough Chemist's 3 and fast food takeaways 4,the service station is not warranted ,because these stations need massive traffic volumes to survive,their is all ready 2 convenience stores,3 hairdresser's and a barbers.

A purpose built health centre to cater for the 10,000 strong population of the area,instead of an out dated 4 bed semi detached house that currently serves the area.
    What Lusk does need is a proper purpose built community centre like the one in Donabate,we certainly do not need ''window box size piece's of grass''that are supposed to be''recreational area's''.
    The largest green area in Lusk is in Orlynn Pk and is put to great use for tennis/football practice/match's/summer schools etc,if it was not for this modest piece of grass,their would be hardly any casual recreational green space in Lusk apart from the walk around the semi completed ring road that F.C.C nearly made a total mess of and apart from the near deforestation of it.
    It say's a lot that one footpath around the village is relied upon for so much recreational use by villagers because of bad planning in the first place.
    I see Clare Daly,rightly opposed the applications,on the grounds that the pyrite issue's in Lusk village be addressed first by Station Construction.The same should also have applied to the builders of Chapel Farm who did't move a million miles away before starting a new construction project.
    In view of the need for housing in Dublin,and an urgent need for a proper main road for Lusk/Rush from the M1,proper light industry/office development to create local employment between the 2 villages,there is still no proper SAFE footpath to the train station.

Leo is right -Lusk as well as Rush needs a lot of things,we can certainly do without further development for the sake of development,we need to put right what should have been done in the first place before further development is considered.

P.s thanks sdanseo,I had't seen the numbers column above the documents page,that included the public submissions.

http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=F15A/0565&theTabNo=2

Great phrase Recreation before development.

Both towns have been destroyed by bad planning and nothing further should be allowed to take place in the area until the current problems are resolved.
    Rush main street looks better thanks to the Tidy Towns people but the derelict building need to be knocked down. All sorts of rumours going around about these sites but Fingal should be charging the owners to make the area look better and forcing them to develop them or put a C.P.O on them or ban planning for 10 years if not developed within 18 months.

But they wont get their levies then..... thats's that fckd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Apart from anything else, they need to put in far better access to Lusk, and on to Rush, before they start putting in any more significant developments.

I know for a long time, Lusk had the delights of being the largest town in Ireland without a secondary school. That's finally been resolved. Is it now the largest town without a proper community centre?

Originally posted by seagull - Apart from anything else, they need to put in far better access to Lusk, and on to Rush, before they start putting in any more significant developments.
    Agreed,a new road is long overdue,the people living at Newhaggart have long had to endure massive traffic and noise and pollution level's,no fear of F.C.C putting in a super first class road surface for these folk's like they did below in Malahide,between the village and Mc Alister's garage.
    Lusk Community council are being very proactive in reminding F.C.C of their responsibility under the Draft Devopment Plan 2011/2017 and under the draft plan for 2017/23 currently being compiled.
    A lot of people will have noticed the community council Posters around Lusk of late with slogan's like ''Infrastructure before development'' and ''Recreation before building'' ,quite rightly too,part of the development plan refers to potential developers,developing a community recreation facilities/area adjacent to Round Towers Gaa on Ministers Rd.
    Indeed Ministers Rd ''was'' to have been upgraded ,widened .foothpath's etc before any further building could be carried out.
    A lot of any further development in Rush/Lusk depend's on the water treatment plant in Portrane being fully operational,to date it is still not and raw sewage is still being pumped in to the Irish Sea in Rush.
    With the way thing's are with Irish Water at the moment,God only know's what sort of makeshift solution will be provided to get around planning''issue's'',if we don't want a repeat of the past ,we need to keep ourselves abreast of every bit of news and keep pressure to bear on our councillors,reminding them of their responsibilities and what happen's to politician's that don't listen to their constituents.

F.C.C have given permission in the last week to demolish the bungalow 'Holmen Kollen' on station road ,Lusk ,opp the chemist,obviously preparing for future ground works on the shopping precint site.
    I see site clearance work under way at the Dublin road roundabout as well,afaik their is a long held permission for housing on this site.

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/Northgate.WebSearch/Results.aspx

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00517954.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    Looks like some serious site clearing going on for this in last month. Does anyone know what retail is going in? I've heard a petrol station and Aldi?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Advertisement