Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property sold - who to pay rent to?

Options
  • 19-12-2015 2:51pm
    Site Banned Posts: 3

so im living with my partner in an apartment for three years , its a registered tenancy , earlier this year the landlord had his apartment seized and the receiver appointed a local agent to collect the rent on their behalf , then it went to auction and for about three weeks from the end of september , we allowed potential buyers to view the apartment

the apartment was sold on october 22nd at auction , the funny thing is , i got a call from the local agent the other day , telling me that i must pay rent for the period from october 20th to december 20th ( rent has always been paid on the 20th of each month ) , as the property was bought by a new owner on october 22nd , i dont really see how the receiver can still have a claim on any rent , i never had any dealings with the receiver , the bankrupt landlord obviously passed on my details to the local estate agent but what obligation have i to pay someone who didnt even own the place after the auction date of october 22nd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Who have you paid rent to in that period?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,519 ✭✭✭✭looksee

None, in my admittedly inexpert view. It is more likely that your name came up on a list that the local agent hasn't updated, did you not ask at the time how they worked this out? Where is the new landlord in this? Undoubtedly you owe rent to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Did you live there after the 22nd?

• Site Banned Posts: 3 western_viewer

Whosthis wrote: »
    Who have you paid rent to in that period?

nobody , no one contacted me , the new owner is currently out of the country , i briefly spoke to him by phone ten days ago , if he shows up with proof of ownership , i dont mind paying him for whatever he is due

i just find it odd that a receiver can demand rent for a property they no longer own , even im currently living free , how are they anymore entitled to it than someone else who doesnt own the place ?

i had no lease or tenancy with the receiver

• Site Banned Posts: 3 western_viewer

Did you live there after the 22nd?

living here today , surely there comes a point when the rent entitlement transfers from the receiver to the new owner , surely the day the new owner signed the contract at auction is that day

the new owner told me during our brief phone call that he had to pay the property tax on the place for november and december of this year so you would think that signals that the receiver is neither obliged to cover expenses or entitled to rent ?

i asked the new owner about all of this and he didnt know , he is updating himself with managment company fees etc and insurance

• Advertisement

You owe the rent to somebody, probably the receiver until the date the sale is closed (not the day of the auction but a few weeks later). There may also be an agreement between the vendor and the purchaser for the vendor to turn over rent to the purchaser. Wait for something official, eg a letter for a solicitor acting for either the vendor or the purchaser and promptly pay the money owed.
    Dont confront the purchaser asking for proof of ownership, its a bad way to start the relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Ask the new owner when did they take over ownership. You owe the agents the money up to that date and owe the new owner from that date onwards. Agent may not even know right dates so find out from new owner.
    Date of auction is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

living here today , surely there comes a point when the rent entitlement transfers from the receiver to the new owner , surely the day the new owner signed the contract at auction is that day

You're still living there and presumably still under your rent contract to the receiver. The new owner can argue with the receiver about the rent but it still doesn't excuse you trying to pull free rental, you're not a party to the sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Whom ever you pay the rent to don't hand over a cent without a dated receipt. Make sure to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

You're still living there and presumably still under your rent contract to the receiver. The new owner can argue with the receiver about the rent but it still doesn't excuse you trying to pull free rental, you're not a party to the sale.

Please point out where the OP has indicated that he is trying to pull FREE RENTAL!

What the OP is trying to do is avoid the typical ripoff that is looming here where it has not been made crystal clear to which party the rent should be paid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

To be honest, I would be far more interested in where my deposit is - with the old landlord probably. I doubt if the new landlord has received it. Needs checking out immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note As per the charter please use meaningful thread titles, it helps to get more replies. Thread renamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

To be honest, I would be far more interested in where my deposit is - with the old landlord probably. I doubt if the new landlord has received it.
    This. Perhaps bring it up when talking to the receiver again?

Advertisement