Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jimmy Hill

• 19-12-2015 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

One of the legendary figures of the game has passed away at 87 years.

Player, union leader, manager, club chairman, pundit.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

One of the greats of the football world and a true ambassador of the sport.

RIP Jimmy Hill.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Among many other things he was the first person to advocate three points for a win, and largely responsible for the abolition of the Maximum Wage many years ago.

Not many players go on to have such a wide variety of roles in the game. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A nice bit off wiki
    In 1972. Arsenal were hosting Liverpool at Highbury on 16 September, when linesman Dennis Drewitt pulled a muscle and was unable to continue. FA rules state that the match could not be completed without a referee and two linesmen, so the game was in danger of being abandoned. The matchday announcer put a message over the loudspeaker asking if anyone was a qualified referee and would volunteer to run the line. Hill was a qualified referee and had been at Highbury that day as a spectator. He quickly donned a tracksuit before stepping in for the injured Drewitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Just looking at wikipedia and am very surprised he only managed the one team. RIP.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

A great character....RIP Jimmy!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

One of the most iconic figures from the football world, sad news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Often a figure of fun to those unaware of his contribution in shaping the game we now know and love.

Appeared to be a true gent, sad to see another icon of growing up departing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

RIP to a true legend.

Modern day football is littered with egotists and money grabbagers. So for those of us who remember that football was invented before 1992, the death of Jimmy Hill along with the passing of Howard Kendall some months back is a sad closure to a wonderful era when football was laden with men who lived and breathed the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

He had such a reach in the game, player, chairman, mamager, union man, pundit, qualified ref.

I'd imagine he would lose and find some of this generations pundits with his knowledge of so many aspects of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Hard to imagine an individual who had more of an impact on football across the World. Hell of a player too apparently. RIP Jim

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,680 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's only looking back now you can get to appreciate the influence he his had on the game at pretty much all levels - as a player, getting the minimum wage abolished, as a manager taking Coventry to the old 1st Division for the first time (then promptly resigning!), as a Chairman steering Fulham away from oblivion.

He'll probably be remembered most as a broadcaster which is where he became the butt of many jokes but, quite literally, took them all on the chin!! However his knowledge of and passion for the game was 2nd to none, and he was a true visionary who helped shape the game as it currently is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

RIP

I grew up watching him on MotD. He seemed like a really genuine man and extremely enthusiastic about his football.

I know its too late now but the more I read about him the more I think he would have been a brilliant president of FIFA.

Another Jimmy Hill innovation was the football panel of 'experts'. He was the LWT Head of Sport when he realised putting several opinionated football people in a studio would make for good Television. He put this motley crew together for ITV.

Pundit31.jpg

http://www.anorak.co.uk/368877/sports/footballs-10-most-offensive-pundits.html/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

ken wrote: »
    I know its too late now but the more I read about him the more I think he would have been a brilliant president of FIFA.
    He had his own "incidents":

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/day-Jimmy-Hill-helped-Bristol-City-avoid/story-28394587-detail/story.html

Still a great fella mind, don't get me wrong. Sunderland fans don't like him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

He was involved with some unpleasentness with the Ron Atkinson racism incident that would probably rule that out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pretty much the face of football for 30+ years from a broadcasting point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

His chin was famous, it seemed to get bigger the older he got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

gandalf wrote: »
    RIP

I grew up watching him on MotD. He seemed like a really genuine man and extremely enthusiastic about his football.

Loved him to bits and was so sad to hear of his passing yesterday. Player, linesman, pundit and a man who always acted in the best interest of the game.

• Advertisement

Forward to about 55 seconds.

Berserker wrote: »
    Loved him to bits and was so sad to hear of his passing yesterday. Player, linesman, pundit and a man who always acted in the best interest of the game.

Randomly he also wrote the club songs at Coventry and Arsenal

Forward to about 55 seconds.

Its hard not to watch a video like that and not romanticise about the way football was :)
    Terry Mancini looking directly at Brian Moore in the commentary box was gas.
    Some real characters playing football then. Marsh and Besty's celebration, and that theme music for the big match is every bit as iconic as the MOTD theme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

One of the first advocates of all-seater stadia.

Serious negative against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I hope something serious and permanent is done to remember him. I would like them to name the League Cup Trophy after him. They can still call it the coca cola/Carling/Milk Cup but the trophy will be the Jimmy Hill Trophy. It would be appropriate considering what he has done for the professional game.

The children of the future should be asking about who Jimmy Hill was and discovering what he did.

He was one of the greatest people ever to be involved in the game.

I hope something serious and permanent is done to remember him. I would like them to name the League Cup Trophy after him. They can still call it the coca cola/Carling/Milk Cup but the trophy will be the Jimmy Hill Trophy.

The children of the future should be asking about who Jimmy Hill was and discovering what he did.

He was one of the greatest people ever to be involved in the game.

Arguably the most innovative man since Herbert Chapman

I enjoyed the BBC tribute to Jimmy Hill this week. Plenty of good stories and archive clips, some funny anecdotes and interesting observations about the man and his work.

It is repeated on Saturday at 1pm on BBC One.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

One of the greatest people who ever lived. In History. Ever

Skid X wrote: »
    It is repeated on Saturday at 1pm on BBC One.

Right in time for lunch in the First Test Match. Jimmy would have approved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement