Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Picture only on BBC HD channels (One input)

• 19-12-2015 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Just to confirm, are BBC HD, BBC 1 HD and BBC 2 HD still free without a HD package on Sky?

If so, can someone read this and advise.

To run through the problem quickly:

I lost BBC1 HD, BBC 2 HD and BBC HD about a year ago.

I get error 25 on those channels, only one signal reported on them.

The rest of channels were fine.

With the recent weather, I lost all channels so got an engineer (not through Sky) to fix them and he replaced some rusted connectors. All channels came back except BBC HDs. He aligned dish, replaced LNB, connectors and downloaded software again. Still no BBC HDs.

Is there anything more I can do, is it worth my while paying Sky to send an engineer? (I'm out of warranty) If they can't get them back will I still have to pay?

Would I be able to use the loss of these channels as a reason for them to let me out my contract and cancel altogether, or can I not do that as they are not part of their package?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Fichtl wrote: »
    Just to confirm, are BBC HD, BBC 1 HD and BBC 2 HD still free without a HD package on Sky?

If so, can someone read this and advise.

To run through the problem quickly:

I lost BBC1 HD, BBC 2 HD and BBC HD about a year ago.

I get error 25 on those channels, only one signal reported on them.

The rest of channels were fine.

With the recent weather, I lost all channels so got an engineer (not through Sky) to fix them and he replaced some rusted connectors. All channels came back except BBC HDs. He aligned dish, replaced LNB, connectors and downloaded software again. Still no BBC HDs.

Is there anything more I can do, is it worth my while paying Sky to send an engineer? (I'm out of warranty) If they can't get them back will I still have to pay?

Would I be able to use the loss of these channels as a reason for them to let me out my contract and cancel altogether, or can I not do that as they are not part of their package?

All working fine here without a hd sub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

All BBC HD channels (1, 2, 3, 4, CBBC, Cbeebies and News) are free to all. See here for tuning details for these and other free HD channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fichtl

I wonder what is wrong so, the person tried everything, replaced LNB etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Re. the 'one input' part: your box only has a single cable feed, or you think the problem is only on 1 of 2 feeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

What type of box do you have? If you have two inputs at the back and only one cable going in make sure that the cable is input 1 and enable single feed mode on the box. If you had the engineer out recently they will be able to send them out again for free.

• Advertisement

Thurston? wrote: »
    Re. the 'one input' part: your box only has a single cable feed, or you think the problem is only on 1 of 2 feeds?

I have two inputs on all working channels, when I switch to BBC1 HD and then check inputs, I have only one input working.
    What type of box do you have? If you have two inputs at the back and only one cable going in make sure that the cable is input 1 and enable single feed mode on the box. If you had the engineer out recently they will be able to send them out again for free.

I have the 1TB HD box

I only have one input working on the channels BBC HD, BBC 1 HD, BBC 2 HD and have no picture, error 25.

Have two signals on all the other channels and they are fine.

Why can't I still have a picture on those channels even if I don't have signals on both inputs? I thought that would only matter if I wanted to record a different channel at the same time. Or what's different about the BBC HD channels that you need signals on both inputs. I've often only had one input coming in in times of bad weather and channels like Sky one etc. work fine, just that I can't record another channel at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Why can't I still have a picture on those channels even if I don't have signals on both inputs? I thought that would only matter if I wanted to record a different channel at the same time. Or what's different about the BBC HD channels that you need signals on both inputs. I've often only had one input coming in in times of bad weather and channels like Sky one etc. work fine, just that I can't record another channel at the same time.

The BBC HD channels are all on the same transponder. There more than likely is an issue with your set up. Post on their Talk To forum and they'll send out an engineer. It more than likely will be free as you have had someone out recently.

Does BBC SD channels work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I have two inputs on all working channels, when I switch to BBC1 HD and then check inputs, I have only one input working.

I have the 1TB HD box

I only have one input working on the channels BBC HD, BBC 1 HD, BBC 2 HD and have no picture, error 25.

Have two signals on all the other channels and they are fine.

Only one input is tuned to a channel. When you look at the signal meter in the box settings it is reporting the strength/quality of the two tuners which are tuned to separate channels, most likely the one showing no signal is the one tuned to the channel you are having problems with.

Add the BBC HD channels manually and see if the box can tune them in that way.

Go to options-add channels, put in these details
    V
    2/3
    DVB-S2
    8PSK

If you can now tune them in successfully by selecting them in options-other channels then it is the box not anything else causing the problem.

The BBC HD channels are all on the same transponder. There more than likely is an issue with your set up. Post on their Talk To forum and they'll send out an engineer. It more than likely will be free as you have had someone out recently.

Unfortunately, I can't get it free, I tried my best before but they wouldn't so that's why I went with a different engineer (not through Sky) as it was slightly cheaper but now it seems I will have to get someone through Sky anyway.

The SDs work.
    Vic_08 wrote: »

Add the BBC HD channels manually and see if the box can tune them in that way.

Go to options-add channels, put in these details
    V
    2/3
    DVB-S2
    8PSK

Tried that exactly, it scans and then quickly says no signal found.

Hopefully the guy Sky send can figure it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Can you borrow another box from someone?

If you can rule out the dish/lnb/cable run then it can only be the box so the only solution would be a replacement box.

As the previous guy replaced the LNB and re-aligned the dish if another box also is unable to tune in that transponder the only thing I can think would be something interfering with either the satellite frequency or the downlink frequency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

They're not actually.
    BBC 1, 2, 3/CBBC HDs are on 10847 V 23000 2/3 8PSK
    BBC 4/Cbeebies and News HDs are 11024 H 23000 2/3 8PSK
    There are also the regional versions of BBC 1 HD on these TPs

Can you borrow another box from someone?

If you can rule out the dish/lnb/cable run then it can only be the box so the only solution would be a replacement box.

As the previous guy replaced the LNB and re-aligned the dish if another box also is unable to tune in that transponder the only thing I can think would be something interfering with either the satellite frequency or the downlink frequency.

Both boxes in house are same story, multiroom and main box. One newish box, one older HD box.

the only thing I can think would be something interfering with either the satellite frequency or the downlink frequency.

Sorry to bump, but it's been two engineers and a new lnb since and this seems to be the case. I wonder if there is any way to pinpoint just what is causing this interference? I plugged out internet, cordless phones but no change.

Could it be possible that some type of wireless broadband being broadcast by broadband companies in this area could be interfering?

It's definitely looking like I won't be having those channels again, I'd love to know what's causing it though. It has me stumped.

Soon enough I will be switching to a Humax box and I assume that the same interference will leave those channels blank on that setup too. I really hope that you can reorganise channels on the Humax so that the no-signal HD versions could be shoved down the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

... it's been two engineers and a new lnb since and this seems to be the case. I wonder if there is any way to pinpoint just what is causing this interference? I plugged out internet, cordless phones but no change.

Could it be possible that some type of wireless broadband being broadcast by broadband companies in this area could be interfering?

I've seen it mentioned in a couple of articles on the Wright's Aerials site, that it's possible to locate this kind of interference using just an LNB connected to a suitable measuring instrument.

I wonder did either of the 'engineers' have a spectrum analyser ...

Advertisement