Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mum jailed for €105k welfare fraud in Cork

Options
  • 19-12-2015 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

Ha I can't believe it.I actually know her.She was attending college here and is 'very religious'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Such a huge sum for one person. What was the fraud i wonder, did she pretend to have 15 children or something?

no chance of it being reclaimed by the exchequer I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Defence senior counsel James O’Mahony said remorse had since been expressed by the accused, Lydie Kana. He said she had not been able to work in Ireland as a nurse but that she would try to adapt her nursing training in Ireland so that she could work here in the future.

The Judge said she expressed a very "Irish sense of entitlement"............yet she's not even Irish! Pretty insulting remarks -to Irish people imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Amazingfun wrote: »
    The Judge said she expressed a very "Irish sense of entitlement"............yet she's not even Irish! Pretty insulting remarks -to Irish people imo.

The Irish are very well versed on rights and privileges but not so keen on duties and obligations in my experience.

Also, nothing in that article to suggest that the accused is not Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Other articles (googled her name) have mentioned she is from Cameroon.
    There was also a good hint in that article when it mentioned she couldn't work here as a nurse, but yeah it wasn't spelled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jonti

Deport the fecker!!!

The Irish are very well versed on rights and privileges but not so keen on duties and obligations in my experience.

Also, nothing in that article to suggest that the accused is not Irish.

Oh ok then, this story of a crime against the Irish people is now a time to smear the Irish people. :confused:

The article makes clear Lydie Kana is not Irish, but does it in a very soft fashion, because stating facts boldly might hurt cause feelings to some.....the horror!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Oh ok then, this story of a crime against the Irish people is now a time to smear the Irish people. :confused:

The article makes clear Lydie Kana is not Irish, but does it in a very soft fashion, because stating facts boldly might hurt cause feelings to some.....the horror!

Does it matter if she is Irish or not? The fact is there are loads of Irish and non-Irish people defrauding the welfare system. The whole thing needs to be tightened up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The issue with tightening up/reforming the system is that this in a fine slogan for a Politician to bandy about but due to the structural complexities of the system is very difficult to do and rare achieves its targets. A maximum fixed amount of welfare per person might prove easier to administer but would be slated by interest groups as being unfair to them.

Manach wrote: »
    The issue with tightening up/reforming the system is that this in a fine slogan for a Politician to bandy about but due to the structural complexities of the system is very difficult to do and rare achieves its targets. A maximum fixed amount of welfare per person might prove easier to administer but would be slated by interest groups as being unfair to them.

True enough. A flat rate would probably be easier to administer but mightn't necessarily defeat the fraudsters. Wasn't there some auld lad up the country somewhere a while back had been claiming his brother's pension for years?

• Advertisement

Oh give over with your, dramatic xenophobic drivel.
    It is a crime against society which, thankfully is somewhat diverse nowadays and made up of all hues and flavours.
    The vast majority of crime, welfare or otherwise, is committed by born and bred Irish people with Irish names. Go rant about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Jonti wrote: »
    Deport the fecker!!!

Fascist!

Why do you hate diversity?

It is a crime against society which, thankfully is somewhat diverse nowadays and made up of all hues and flavours.
    The vast majority of crime, welfare or otherwise, is committed by born and bred Irish people with Irish names. Go rant about them.

Unfortunately we are stuck with our own criminal scum. Is that an excuse to import huge numbers of foreign scum?

20% of prison population is non Irish.

Anyway, you are only annoyed because you were trying to claim that the person involved was probably Irish, and you were proved to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭techdiver

I often wondered about this.

I believe in allowing migration from other countries, and that it is a good thing for the country, but I do firmly believe as soon as you are convicted of a crime you should be deported.

There should be expectations and constraints attached to residency if you are not originally from Ireland. If you void your side of the contract, then you should no longer be entitled to stay here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Great, the people's front of Judea has arrive to lecture us. :rolleyes:

Bonniedog wrote: »

Anyway, you are only annoyed because you were trying to claim that the person involved was probably Irish, and you were proved to be wrong.

The only point I made was that nowhere in the article did it say that the person wasn't Irish.
    I'm really not interested in where the person was born, what their name is. I made no claim as to where the person was from. How can that be proved wrong ?

techdiver wrote: »
    I often wondered about this.
    but I do firmly believe as soon as you are convicted of a crime you should be deported.
    There should be expectations and constraints attached to residency if you are not originally from Ireland.

That's 780 due back from the UK so

http://irishpost.co.uk/irish-prisoners-remain-britain-despite-eu-deal/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭techdiver

mordeith wrote: »

Perfectly fair.

They should be sent back here.

mordeith wrote: »

Well if we deported all our foreign prisoners we would have more than enough room :)

By the way there are around one million Irish born people in Britain.

If their level of offending matched that of the 'new Irish', there would be an awful lot more of them locked up!

Well if we deported all our foreign prisoners we would have more than enough room :)

By the way there are around one million Irish born people in Britain.

If their level of offending matched that of the 'new Irish', there would be an awful lot more of them locked up!

I wonder do British people feel the same about those 1 million Irish who are benefitting from the UK's public health system, benefit system, etc.

• Advertisement

The marginalised in society will always make up the bulk of any country's prison population. Foreign nationals would seem to fit this.

For example, USA's prison system has a disproportionate number of African Americans. Do you think, Bonniedog and Amazingfun, that black people have a genetic predisposition to crime are do you think that African Americans are generally more marginalised in USA society?

The marginalised in society will always make up the bulk of any country's prison population. Foreign nationals would seem to fit this.

Why should we be taking in other country's "marginalized" ???? It is noticeable that the proportion of Poles - who do work for the most part - is falling as the proportion of welfare tourists, criminals and "asylum seekers" increases.

Look at the rest of Europe. Only a blithering idiot could imagine that mass immigration here will end other than in the disaster which it is for working people who pay for it all in lost jobs, lower wages, housing shortages and crime.

Why should we be taking in other country's "marginalized" ???? It is noticeable that the proportion of Poles - who do work for the most part - is falling as the proportion of welfare tourists, criminals and "asylum seekers" increases.

Look at the rest of Europe. Only a blithering idiot could imagine that mass immigration here will end other than in the disaster which it is for working people who pay for it all in lost jobs, lower wages, housing shortages and crime.

They're taking our jobs and our wimmin.
    Yawn

Yawn

Another profound response :)

Perhaps you ought to look at what is happening in other European countries.

It might destroy you illusions. It is no coincidence that parties opposed to mass immigration are doing so well. Unfortunately, here they are all parroting the IBEC and ISME line to insure that wages are driven lower and there are more people to fill Alan Kelly's egg boxes for the landlords.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Yawn

Is this your experience?You have my sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

WTF has this got to do with Cork at this stage. Take it back to politics where it belongs. Silly politics cafe mod starting it here to begin with. Trying to push an agenda I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

For example, USA's prison system has a disproportionate number of African Americans. Do you think, Bonniedog and Amazingfun, that black people have a genetic predisposition to crime are do you think that African Americans are generally more marginalised in USA society?

Are you that Silkenstars person from the proc whos always on defending the Roma?

Total joke of a comment. As I said from the start: a crime against the Irish people (and the Judge's ridiculous smear/comment during sentencing ) is now an opportunity for those with the true "agenda" to demand answers to irrelevant questions about Blacks in the USA, lol. Well done you.

• Advertisement

Total joke of a comment. As I said from the start: a crime against the Irish people (and the Judge's ridiculous smear/comment during sentencing ) is now an opportunity for those with the true "agenda" to demand answers to irrelevant questions about Blacks in the USA, lol. Well done you.

Here's wishing you a white Christmas.

I'm out.

Advertisement