Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my landlord break my lease?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Graham wrote: »
    OP had already agreed the landlord could enter the property for the purpose of collecting the rent.

Yes and if you read all of my post you might see that i am advising that he does this for any future suspected enteries .

I have been through this with a previous landlord and it didnt take me long to put a stop to the un-expected enteries . Once the footage was emailed with a question can you explain this visit - he never came back :-).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

dbit wrote: »
    Yes and if you read all of my post you might see that i am advising that he does this for any future suspected enteries .

I have been through this with a previous landlord and it didnt take me long to put a stop to the un-expected enteries . Once the footage was emailed with a question can you explain this visit - he never came back :-).

The OP didn't mention unexpected inspections being an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

dbit wrote: »
    Jesus christ the amount of "Did you read the post" trolls in here lmfao you lot are simply hilarious .

Really? Because your post is the funniest one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Graham wrote: »

TLDR, relax, there is no legal basis for this to go anywhere. Put your foot down (gently) and enjoy Christmas.

Nah, it's much better if the OP goes completely nuclear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Dbit please do not post on this thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP how is it going? Would value an update if that is OK with you?Hope all is OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭shellycub

Graces7 wrote: »
    OP how is it going? Would value an update if that is OK with you?Hope all is OK?

Hi, don't mind giving an update at all. Would appreciate more advice even!

So LL finally got back to me yesterday, left a message saying that they would have a plumber in to look at toilet and could I ring them back. I replied by text as I wasn't able to ring. Asked when would plumber be calling. I was told that LL was waiting to hear from plumber, and that they would be there to let him in. I replied saying that myself and my partner would be there from five so any time after that would be perfect.

When I got home at five I looked at my phone to see a message that said plumber had been and secured toilet......am I wrong in thinking that they should have told me when the plumber was coming and I should have a choice of being there?

So now I'm confused about what I should do. They haven't mentioned anything about discussing letting agreement again. Part of me thinks just let sleeping dogs lie. The other part of me wants to tell LL that I'm not happy with situation and how upset I was at the weekend.

Am considering writing a letter maybe?

You probably regret asking now!!!

Thanks

What was wrong with the toilet?

If it as something that had the potential to lead to water overflow etc the LL would be within his rights to let the plumber in to prevent this.

shellycub wrote: »

So LL finally got back to me yesterday, left a message saying that they would have a plumber in to look at toilet and could I ring them back. I replied by text as I wasn't able to ring. Asked when would plumber be calling. I was told that LL was waiting to hear from plumber, and that they would be there to let him in. I replied saying that myself and my partner would be there from five so any time after that would be perfect.

When I got home at five I looked at my phone to see a message that said plumber had been and secured toilet......am I wrong in thinking that they should have told me when the plumber was coming and I should have a choice of being there?

So now I'm confused about what I should do. They haven't mentioned anything about discussing letting agreement again. Part of me thinks just let sleeping dogs lie. The other part of me wants to tell LL that I'm not happy with situation and how upset I was at the weekend.

Thanks

Yes he should have made arrangements with you UNLESS it was a serious damaging leak. Yes you need to write clearly that he needs to make an appointment with you before entering. This is your right as a tenant. Did you phone Threshold? Please do. But unless you set limits he is not going to stop jut coming in when he pleases. And also you need to ell him that you will be setting up a standing order and need his bank details or paying by cheque and that he is not to enter to collect the rent any more. The ball is in your court now; yes it is unpleasant but you will feel 1000% easier when it is sorted. At present he is making all the running and has no idea that you are upset. Please call Threshold today.

Thanks

Not at all; this is my 7th Irish tenancy and not much I have not seen; and I do some pro bono advocacy work also to good effect. CALL THRESHOLD! PS I am working on a book re living in Ireland and chatted with Threshold when I called them re the current issues with the landlord. Told them a few of my experiences and they assure me they will buy the book!

• Advertisement

What was wrong with the toilet?

If it as something that had the potential to lead to water overflow etc the LL would be within his rights to let the plumber in to prevent this.

It was wobbly, needed to be screwed down. I know if it's an emergency they can but I have asked specifically what time the plumber would be there. I was never told a time. This is the second time it's happened and it feels like the LL is doing it so I don't have an option of being there. I'm probably being paranoid and maybe they think they are being helpful by making it so I don't have to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They asked you to ring them back - and during a phone call it would have been possible to make your opinion known properly and to negotiate alternatives. But instead you chose to text immediately, rather than wait and call at a time when you could. Texts are good for reminders, and simple messages. Not for anything complex.

Also, it's Christmas week. Getting tradespeople at this time of year is difficult enough, especially for trivial jobs. And you're wanting him to get someone to do the work after-hours as well.

In your initial posts, I think the LL was bang out of order. But for this issue, you are. So IMHO, leave this to lie.

Also - one of the advantages of renting is that it's the LL's who has to take time off work etc to let tradespeople in, not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

They asked you to ring them back - and during a phone call it would have been possible to make your opinion known properly and to negotiate alternatives. But instead you chose to text immediately, rather than wait and call at a time when you could. Texts are good for reminders, and simple messages. Not for anything complex.

Sorry but isn't text suitable for anything complex? For one you have a record of it and as you well know a text isn't really that limited these days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

petes wrote: »
    Sorry but isn't text suitable for anything complex? For one you have a record of it and as you well know a text isn't really that limited these days.

One of the biggest problems with text/email is the intended tone will usually be lost.

A quick friendly call saying "thanks for sorting out the toilet but please arrange a time for me to be at home if you or any tradesmen need access to the house in the future" may be enough to knock this on the head now.

What I meant was that I think I have the right to know when the LL would be entering my apartment. Also from what I have read I have the right to say I want to be there if possible.

I suggested a time. I would not have had a problem if I had gotten a reply saying it didn't suit and telling me when the plumber would be there.

And yes, a perk of having a LL is that they deal with these things. I don't feel I trust my LL to enter any more without invading our privacy.

What I meant was that I think I have the right to know when the LL would be entering my apartment. Also from what I have read I have the right to say I want to be there if possible.

I suggested a time. I would not have had a problem if I had gotten a reply saying it didn't suit and telling me when the plumber would be there.

And yes, a perk of having a LL is that they deal with these things. I don't feel I trust my LL to enter any more without invading our privacy.

Well said and let him know your boundaries fully now. Tell him imply in writing that you will pay by eg standing order or whatever and that he is not to enter without at least 24 hrs notice and with prior agreement with you according to tenancy law. You do have these rights. The toilet was not en emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭irish_dave_83

You should suggest on bank payments to the LL so that they don't have to trouble themselves coming to the residence all of the time and that you don't like carrying that much cash around(or some other believable excuse). That shouldn't ruffle too many feathers and they will get your point without feeling attacked.

If it doesn't work you need to say it straight to them about coming into the residence. They can't terminate your lease for wanting your own reasonable privacy, so don't be to afraid of upsetting them (once its professional).

Shelley; I jut came back before closing down.. the poor landlord has NO IDEA of the problems he is causing you unless and until YOU write to him. Think about it? To make this work for you you have to write, to communicate with him, to state your boundaries in writing, If you need help with the letter by all means pm me and let me know that you have done so? We can give all the advice in the world but YOU have to do this. Not easy the first time but it does get easier! Will be back tomorrow briefly but wait now and HAPPY CHRISTMAS. Oh this reminded me of one rental where the toilet was not attached to the floor any more. I did not realise this.Until the inevitable flood happened. Called the landlord who appeared with the " plumber" when he had done the school bus run, much later.. the landlord mopped the flood up with great drama whereupon the plumber claimed it was too wet for him to work in there and vanished. For the next six months I hovered... I had told that landlord not to come in without permission etc and he obeyed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Asked when would plumber be calling. I was told that LL was waiting to hear from plumber, and that they would be there to let him in.
    I replied saying that myself and my partner would be there from five so any time after that would be perfect.

the OP didnt say that the plumber and LL could not enter. You merely stated a preference for a time after you arrived home.

You need to be clear, if you want to be present then say it in black and white "No, thats no good for us, we want to be present when the plumber is here"

Clear and no confusion. Having said that, you had a broken toilet and presumable the time was when the plumber could do the job, not when suited the landlord. There has to be some give and take when it comes to askking landlords to get repairs carried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Graces7 wrote: »
    Shelley; I jut came back before closing down.. the poor landlord has NO IDEA of the problems he is causing you unless and until YOU write to him. Think about it? To make this work for you you have to write, to communicate with him, to state your boundaries in writing, If you need help with the letter by all means pm me and let me know that you have done so? We can give all the advice in the world but YOU have to do this. Not easy the first time but it does get easier! Will be back tomorrow briefly but wait now and HAPPY CHRISTMAS. Oh this reminded me of one rental where the toilet was not attached to the floor any more. I did not realise this.Until the inevitable flood happened. Called the landlord who appeared with the " plumber" when he had done the school bus run, much later.. the landlord mopped the flood up with great drama whereupon the plumber claimed it was too wet for him to work in there and vanished. For the next six months I hovered... I had told that landlord not to come in without permission etc and he obeyed that.

A, the OP is having an issue with a landlord, its a small issue, dont overreact,

B, toilets need not be connected to the ground to work, they have pipes leading out via the floor or wall and should only leak the amount of water actually in the bowl.

• Advertisement

No I didn't, and again my problem is that I was not told when the plumber was coming. If I had been told and it didn't suit me I would have said work away, thanks very much.

I agree I need to be more clear and firm when talking to LL, it doesn't come easily to me. Have definitely learned a few lessons over last few days.

Am going to forget about it, enjoy my holidays and figure out if I want to do anything in the new year.

Thanks all for your replies, hope ye have a good Christmas.

Advertisement