Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone Roundabouts Named

• 19-12-2015 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭

So finally all the main roundabouts in Athlone have been named.

At least for once common sense has prevailed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Have they? Was about Athlone today and didn't notice! But then I was too busy watching the traffic on the roundabouts where they were either being blocked up, people driving out without looking right or people not using indicators or proper lanes!
    /rant
    You'd know I was in town this afternoon!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

First I've heard of them being named. What is the point behind naming them in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

martin1 wrote: »
    So finally all the main roundabouts in Athlone have been named.

At least for once common sense has prevailed.

News to me. What have they been named then ? Let us know and we'll tell you if the naming was common sense or not ! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Long Gone wrote: »
    News to me. What have they been named then ? Let us know and we'll tell you if the naming was common sense or not ! :)

"Turn back now!", "You've come too far!" and "Oh God, Run for your life!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Money making operation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Traffic is heavy today at the Tumble Down Shack roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

What's wrong with the 'Spar roundabout', the 'Cornamaddy roundabout', the 'Dunnes/Xtra-vision roundabout' and the 'AIT roundabout'? etc etc....

Rasmus wrote: »
    What's wrong with the 'Spar roundabout', the 'Cornamaddy roundabout', the 'Dunnes/Xtra-vision roundabout' and the 'AIT roundabout'? etc etc....

Nothing is wrong wit the 'Cornamaddy roundabout.' Everything is wrong with the others. We the public pay our taxes which pays for building these roundabouts. There is no way they should be then given ugly names to advertise local businesses in exchange for a few quid of sponsorship....mad.png

Itzy wrote: »
    "Turn back now!", "You've come too far!" and "Oh God, Run for your life!"

And don't forget the quintessentially Athlone "Are you lookin' for a batin' sham ?" roundabout.......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The 'We're better than Mullingar roundabout'

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    The 'We're better than Mullingar roundabout'

Everybody already knows that - We don't need a roundabout name to state the obvious ! :D We have the broad majestic Shannon running through our town for God's sake and we're on the Southern end of Lough Ree, the most beautiful Lough on the river......:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

ok for your education and edification here are the names of the main roundabouts in Athlone

Clonbrusk
    Arcadia
    Lissywollen (yuck:mad:)
    Cornamaddy
    Altown
    Garrycastle
    Creggan
    Wash House Turn
    Willow Park
    Ankers Bower
    Golden Island
    Burgess Park

No excuse for getin lost now bies :D
    Happy motoring;)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

What about The Far Side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Mearings wrote: »
    What about The Far Side?

Jeez the "what about" brigade are here !!!!

Cant you see that they are ALL on The Far Side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

Long Gone wrote: »
    Everybody already knows that - We don't need a roundabout name to state the obvious ! :D We have the broad majestic Shannon running through our town for God's sake and we're on the Southern end of Lough Ree, the most beautiful Lough on the river......:P

Literally 'running through the Town' !

Literally 'running through the Town' !

I was waiting for that comment......... ! Thought of it myself as I wrote the post :)

Luckily most of the town is well above the water level. Those ancient Athlonians weren't stupid. As for those modern day developers who built houses on flood plains...... The clue is in the name.......

Advertisement