Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog food with no beet pulp

• 19-12-2015 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Apologies for starting another food thread! I can't believe it has been almost 4 years when I first started the "alternative to burns thread" and asked about skinners!!! So my oldest girl has had nearly 4 years on skinners but has now developed skin issues :( we have been to the vet twice on this matter. Tbh I orginally thought it was anxiety with Halloween. Anyway OH had her at vet and was told, come needs to go on and cream applied. My youngest has bad skin and has pretty much always been on burns...I am convinced beet pulp in dog food causes her ear/skin problems. Burns really suits her.

My oldest is a fuss pot and will not eat burns but devours skinners. I would love a food that both girls would eat. Went on zooplus and omg it is a minefield!!!! SO many more foods on the market in the last 4 years! Should I go for those grain free ones?? But A low protein food was recommended to my oldest years ago by a behaviourist something like 18% protein I think.
    :)
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Millem wrote: »
    But A low protein food was recommended to my oldest years ago by a behaviourist something like 18% protein I think.

Nnnnnnoooooooooo!
    Unless your dog has compromised kidneys or liver, you pretty much can't go wrong with feeding as much protein as you like. They are carnivores (not obligate like cats are, but carnivores all the same), so they're damn good at dealing with protein. For the same reason, they're not so good with cereals, high levels of carbs, and processed stuff. Any excess protein they take in is simply peed out!
    Having said that, allergies to beef and chicken proteins are reasonably common (allegedly due to poor quality dry foods that set up a reactivity to these proteins), so any dog with skin issues should automatically be fed novel proteins that they're unlikely to have been exposed to before: fish, turkey, venison, duck, pheasant, rabbit are all common examples.
    I'm a big advocate of grain-free... I've no problem with dogs eating veggies to get some carbs, but cereals are a problem in my book... Humans are much better at digesting grains than dogs are, but many of us still have a problem with them... So dogs don't stand much of a chance!
    I'd also avoid beet pulp if I had a dog with skin problems.
    I feed Taste of the Wild or Purizon to the gang here (to supplement their raw diet).. They're no more expensive than Burns but I simply don't have to feed as much of it.
    How does that sound? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

When I started feeding Burns it was the best thing ever! Since then so many new, vastly superior foods have come on the market. Burns worked so well for dogs with allergies or digestive issues because of it's limited ingredients. When looking for new foods I scan the ingredients lists for ingredients similar to what has worked before. I tend to go for foods that contain potato instead of rice or grains. No chicken including anything that says 'poultry fat'. Over time I've discovered fish, duck and lamb are all ok for my terrier so I tend to stick to those as protein sources. Also whatever you decide on, buy 6 weeks worth of food and assess how your dogs are doing on that food at the end of the 6 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

DBB wrote: »
    Nnnnnnoooooooooo!
    Unless your dog has compromised kidneys or liver, you pretty much can't go wrong with feeding as much protein as you like. They are carnivores (not obligate like cats are, but carnivores all the same), so they're damn good at dealing with protein. For the same reason, they're not so good with cereals, high levels of carbs, and processed stuff. Any excess protein they take in is simply peed out!
    Having said that, allergies to beef and chicken proteins are reasonably common (allegedly due to poor quality dry foods that set up a reactivity to these proteins), so any dog with skin issues should automatically be fed novel proteins that they're unlikely to have been exposed to before: fish, turkey, venison, duck, pheasant, rabbit are all common examples.
    I'm a big advocate of grain-free... I've no problem with dogs eating veggies to get some carbs, but cereals are a problem in my book... Humans are much better at digesting grains than dogs are, but many of us still have a problem with them... So dogs don't stand much of a chance!
    I'd also avoid beet pulp if I had a dog with skin problems.
    I feed Taste of the Wild or Purizon to the gang here (to supplement their raw diet).. They're no more expensive than Burns but I simply don't have to feed as much of it.
    How does that sound? :)

Dbb I must look for that report from DTI it was something along the lines of 18% will calm her??? Can't remember exactly it was soooo long ago. I don't mind the cost tbh as I buy in big bags which usually works out cheaper! Are there any flavours that are better than others? My youngest has a UTI at the mo so is on antibiotics and off skin meds so I am preparing for a flare up :( also is zoo plus the best place to get them :) thanks a mil

I would think you'd be told very different by the same people now Millem... There was for a long time an anecdote to stick to low protein, but there isn't any evidence to support this (in a healthy dog) at this stage. But basic biology dictates that you just can't go wrong feeding protein-rich food to a carnivore. You can go wrong feeding them foods that don't fit in to even an omnivorous carnivore's diet!
    I think zooplus is still pretty good value if you're buying the two bag deal. I'd avoid any chicken varieties if I'd an itchy dog, the rest are okay I think! Add sardines or other oily fish a few times a week.

I would think you'd be told very different by the same people now Millem... There was for a long time an anecdote to stick to low protein, but there isn't any evidence to support this (in a healthy dog) at this stage. But basic biology dictates that you just can't go wrong feeding protein-rich food to a carnivore. You can go wrong feeding them foods that don't fit in to even an omnivorous carnivore's diet!
    I think zooplus is still pretty good value if you're buying the two bag deal. I'd avoid any chicken varieties if I'd an itchy dog, the rest are okay I think! Add sardines or other oily fish a few times a week.

Thanks so much! I will order tomorrow! Would love to get one food to feed both my girls :) is taste of wild better or the same?

• Advertisement

Better or the same as Purizon, is it?
    They're very similar. I prefer Purizon because it's made in the UK, and I personally prefer the welfare laws surrounding farm animals on this side of the Atlantic.

Better or the same as Purizon, is it?
    They're very similar. I prefer Purizon because it's made in the UK, and I personally prefer the welfare laws surrounding farm animals on this side of the Atlantic.

Perfect thanks again! Now to figure out which zoo plus to order from and find coupon codes ;) would you feed on lower end of guide. One girl is 35kg :eek: and other is 30kg. They were getting 2 scoops a day. They have defo put on a few kgs as our toddler is constantly slipping them human food any chance he gets!! Do I deduct because they are speyed?

You got me interested in Purizon DBB so I went and looked it up. It was the Lamb & Salmon I looked at. It contains poultry fat so a non-runner for me.

Edit: Sorry my mistake, it says poultry fat in the blurb but it's not in the ingredients list. It must be one of the other flavours.

Millem wrote: »
    Perfect thanks again! Now to figure out which zoo plus to order from and find coupon codes ;) would you feed on lower end of guide. One girl is 35kg :eek: and other is 30kg. They were getting 2 scoops a day. They have defo put on a few kgs as our toddler is constantly slipping them human food any chance he gets!! Do I deduct because they are speyed?

I'm feeding a 35kg and a 42kg dog, and I'm always surprised at how long a bag lasts, though I am also feeding meat. I don't stick to hard and fast rules, I take a longer term approach to feeding... If they start to spread their waistlines, I cut back a bit. If they look a bit thin (doesn't happen much here :o), I ramp it up.

The Lukullus I'm feeding contains poultry fat :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested in buying purizon I will post what zooplus works out cheapest and a code! At the moment I think the fish flavour on irish site or salmon and duck on uk site. Can't believe other zooplus sites are charging €10 delivery to Ireland !! :eek:

AJ My youngest is on burns chicken!! Never realised she should be avoiding chicken!!

Sorry guys just to throw a spanner in the works...I just spotted "acana" . I remember seeing it everywhere when I was in Canada years ago. Is Adult one any good or purizon on better?

The adult Acana is chicken though? It also has oats so it's not grain free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

I'm not sure I'd bother with a grain-free food unless it was one the dog was doing well on. Most dogs can digest grains pretty easily with no problems and with a good uptake of the nutrition, and even my sensitive-stomach dog can tolerate rice and oats happily, for example. Meat allergies are more common, as DBB said, particularly beef and chicken (though other allergies like fish, lamb etc. are becoming more common as people feed dogs these foods more.) And low-protein to make the dog calmer is something that's been going around for a while, but I haven't seen any evidence for it.

But the bottom line is try a food, keep her on it for a few weeks to give it time, and follow the dog's opinion/health- if she does well on it, that's your test.

I've a terrier cross and a German Shepherd both on Orijen.

They both love it and are extremely healthy, according to their vet.

Yes it is expensive but you feed less than other foods so it lasts longer and in someway balances itself out.

I've to order more this week. Any discount codes gladly accepted! :)

Advertisement