Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Takeaway delivery charges

Options
  • 19-12-2015 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Recently moved house. I am now 3Km from the centre of town (by road, closer as the crow flies) but on a country road instead of a housing estate. When ordering a takeaway the drivers now try to charge 5euro extra delivery. 3km does not seem an excessive distance to be included in the standard delivery rules?

Are takeaways not obliged to have a standardised set of fees for delivery based on distance (rather than whether or not your street has streetlights?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Too wrote: »

Are takeaways not obliged to have a standardised set of fees for delivery based on distance (rather than whether or not your street has streetlights?)

Obliged by who?

(No, they aren't)

• Site Banned Posts: 66 ✭✭bloominballix

L1011 wrote: »
    Obliged by who?

(No, they aren't)
    You mean you're not aware of the National Take-Away Regulator? What rock have you been living under?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

It's totally up to them. It's probably written on the menu that their delivery fee is for local delivery only. Anything that's not strictly local (outside town boundaries?) is up for negotiation. How much is a taxi from the town out to your place btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Recently moved house. I am now 3Km from the centre of town (by road, closer as the crow flies) but on a country road instead of a housing estate. When ordering a takeaway the drivers now try to charge 5euro extra delivery. 3km does not seem an excessive distance to be included in the standard delivery rules?

just out of interest, who do you imagine you could complain to about this breach of your rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Recently moved house. I am now 3Km from the centre of town (by road, closer as the crow flies)

Don't use the crows. they.re a bunch of chancers! Pigeon's are the way to go..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Not a Food & Drink issue. Moved to Consumer Issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,you need to buy a drone with a big hook on the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

6km round trip so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Time to start doing you own cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

You mean you're not aware of the National Take-Away Regulator? What rock have you been living under?

I wouldn't even joke about that. I can see a headline in 2018 President of N.T.A.R on 870000 Euro a year salary............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - that's enough. Please address the OP.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I think the simple answer is No. They can charge you any amount, for the food or the delivery. Its up to you if you agree to pay it.

I know we have loads of stupid quangos, but they have not got around to inventing one for this quite yet, but please don't give them ideas.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Depending on the town size 3km sounds like its outside of the town limits/boundary,
    To be honest they can charge the extra if outside of the of the town

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When ordering a takeaway the drivers now try to charge 5euro extra delivery. 3km does not seem an excessive distance to be included in the standard delivery rules?
    Is it 5 euro on top of the standard charge? e.g. are you paying 7.50 if it was 2.5euro standard.

It would be 6km round trip as mentioned, and it would may have no other orders on that route. Cheapest taxis are 1.10 per km, after initial fees.

Is it the drivers asking for this or do you know in advance? Many drivers are chancers IME.

You could try and ask a manager if there is anyway to get it cheaper, i.e. a certain time it might suit them better, or a threshold value you must order above.

Advertisement