Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st razor for 16 yr old boy

• 19-12-2015 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations - inexpensive & easy to use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

http://www.wilkinsonsword.co.uk/men/products/classic

tesco do these it will be awesome with feather blades (in my experiance)

but since he will be shaving for a long time i'd get a http://www.shaving.ie/products/merkur-progress.html

last his whole life and a brilliant razor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Gosh - I had presumed it'd be an electric razor! Is an old-fashioned one better for young lads?

old fashioned razors cured my razor burn and made shaving a pleasure
    i acually learned on one but when i moved away i used electric and triple blade yokes
    cant beat a de
    there is a shaving forum btw http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1103

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Gosh - I had presumed it'd be an electric razor!
    Same here T. When I started I was pretty young and nicked my dad's old philishave. OK it tugged as much as it shaved, but the first time I used a wet razor it was a bloodbath and my face looked like a join the dots using small bits of bog roll. :) OK I was 13 or 14 so the facial hair was fine enough, but I'd be trying the leccy shaver first myself?

*caveat* the last time I shaved was 1985 so my advice may not be the greatest T :o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Same here T. When I started I was pretty young and nicked my dad's old philishave. OK it tugged as much as it shaved, but the first time I used a wet razor it was a bloodbath and my face looked like a join the dots using small bits of bog roll. :) OK I was 13 or 14 so the facial hair was fine enough, but I'd be trying the leccy shaver first myself?

*caveat* the last time I shaved was 1985 so my advice may not be the greatest T :o
    beards for some shaving forums for others http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1103

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Most important with whatever razor you get you don't have to press hard on your face. Light strokes in the direction the hair is growing will hopefully not scar you too much. I started with disposables (which are cheap as chips), went onto electric, expensive blades etc but I am back with disposables for the last few years as they work best for me. Your skin will really determine which one you stick with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭getaroom

Any recommendations - inexpensive & easy to use?

I gave my 16 year old a fusion. (and if i called him a boy he'd murder me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

getaroom wrote: »
    I gave my 16 year old a fusion. (and if i called him a boy he'd murder me)
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I have sensitive skin and I tried every lotion and miracle cure and what I found through sheer laziness is that personally for best results, just wash and rewash my face and use ordinary soap with blue Gillette disposables.

I think that by not treating my skin, it stays tough enough to endure regular shaving. It's when I start trying to increase comfort using products, I'm risking a lifetime subscription to something I don't really need. That's just my 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Can't use Electric Razor, get terrible rash and always sore

Gel and Mach III for me

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

DE shaver myself but I wouldn't let a 16 year old anywhere near one. I have a Braun Travel shaver stashed in my suitcase that I use when I'm travelling. It gets surprisingly close and the batteries last for months. Should be more than enough for a teenager's growth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Gosh - I had presumed it'd be an electric razor! Is an old-fashioned one better for young lads?

I used an electric one at first. But I found that it was more harsh on my skin than a razor. I found your typical "cartridge blades" were pretty difficult to cut with. I always seemed to take chunks out of my face. A DE razor is by far easier to shave it. Like all shaving it requires practice.

I think we you are first shaving. The razor is generally the least of your problems. I wished someone showed me how much foam to put on my face. It literally took me a year of near dry shaving to realise how much foam you need on your face. I think that is what is most important starting out.

I use an Arko Soap stick from Amazon and a good brush from shaving.ie The Arko stick literally lasts me months with a decent amount of it. I have had this brush for like well over 2 years and it is still perfect.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/semogue-1305-shaving-brush.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I personally think that the return to straight razors and "safety razors" are nostalgia or a fad born of the hipster scene (again I'm sure a lot you have just always shaved with one so this is obviously not aimed at you!). A single blade does not cut as close as 2 or 3 blades in one cartridge. It also won't stay as sharp and makes maneuvering the blade around the contours of your face a lot more difficult.

In saying this I own and enjoy a badger hair brush shave with cream from Taylors of Bond Street and occasionally use a fancy enameled safety razor. I'm also a big fan of the Porasso ranges for a bit of luxury. But I recognize it for what it is! The better more efficient shave comes from your standard mach 3.

People will argue that it is cheaper to use safety razors and they'd be correct. They may also have the face pulled off themselves!

Caveat: on account of the job I shave daily and at times have to shave twice a day, I also have facial hair that grows in spirals and quite quickly so Electric Razors won't work for me if I need to be clean shaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

BigDuffman wrote: »
    I personally think that the return to straight razors and "safety razors" are nostalgia or a fad born of the hipster scene (again I'm sure a lot you have just always shaved with one so this is obviously not aimed at you!). A single blade does not cut as close as 2 or 3 blades in one cartridge. It also won't stay as sharp and makes maneuvering the blade around the contours of your face a lot more difficult.

I'll beg to differ. I switched to DE shaving at last spring after over 20 years of cartridge razors and there is no comparison. Once you get your technique right you get a much closer shave than with any cartridge razor. The single blade at the right angle will do a much better job. Getting around the contours of your face is also easy but just takes a little practice to refine your technique.

They don't need to stay sharp - I replace the blade every 2-3 shaves. When blades cost 16c each you don't need to try to prolong the life of them. Use a couple of times and replace. 7.95 for a years supply of blades - can't argue with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Orion wrote: »
    Once you get your technique right you get a much closer shave than with any cartridge razor. The single blade at the right angle will do a much better job. Getting around the contours of your face is also easy but just takes a little practice to refine your technique.

Like I said previously on the weekend's I use a DE myself so I understand their appeal. I just think for a 16 year old shaving for the first time I wouldn't be the best choice. As a young fella I managed to look like I'd been mauled by a big cat (like most lads) when I first attempted to shave with a cartridge razor, which is a lot easier to use than a DE.
    Orion wrote: »
    Use a couple of times and replace. 7.95 for a years supply of blades - can't argue with that.

Indeed I won't! The price of razor blades are scandalous.

Like I said previously on the weekend's I use a DE myself so I understand their appeal. I just think for a 16 year old shaving for the first time I wouldn't be the best choice. As a young fella I managed to look like I'd been mauled by a big cat (like most lads) when I first attempted to shave with a cartridge razor, which is a lot easier to use than a DE.

I'd tend to agree with that. I was only responding the your statement that a cartridge gives a close shave - that I disagree with having switched this year. No way I could get a BBS shave with a cartridge.

But for a first shave it is a big learning curve. That said no reason why a 16yo couldn't learn how either.

Tigger wrote: »
    tesco do these it will be awesome with feather blades (in my experiance)

Just noticed this - I would keep away from the feather blades to start off with. They are very rigid and unforgiving. The personna would be better - especially on a young face. (can also get 100 of these for 11.95 on the same site). They are softer and less likely to rip him apart. Can always try different blades later.

Or another option would be to get a sampler of different blades and see which one suits you best. I found some of the blades I didn't like at all but others I did - every face is different. Personna was the best one to start with but now I use Astras exclusively. I'd get Feathers but they're triple the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've pretty much always used electrics myself. Had the philips rotary ones for years (2 and then 3 head) but switched to one of the Remington foil shavers last year and found it does a much better job, even if it takes a few minutes longer. No risk of destroying yourself either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

He may grow himself a beard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There was a free razor offer in bargain alerts last year, OP. Pity you missed that one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd go with a mach 3 or something. Wouldn't go for an electric razor, never liked them. More of a proper coming of age man thing teaching a child to shave too.
    I personally think that the return to straight razors and "safety razors" are nostalgia or a fad born of the hipster scene
    I'd disagree. I use a safety razor all the time, much better than cartridge razors. Far quicker for me too.

Advertisement