Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biblical References by Prison Mods is insulting

Options
  • 19-12-2015 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

While I enjoy reading the witty reposts by mods in the Prison Forum.

Can I ask why there is suddenly a usage of Bible verses to score/make points?

Personally, as a Christian, I find it offensive that writings which I and many others consider the inspired Word of God (2 Tim 3:16) is being used in such a frivolous manner.

If you used verses from the Koran it wouldn't be tolerated and would be seen as demeaning of Islam (we all know Islam has a protected status on Boards)... why the double standards?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I agree - not because I'm religious, but just because it's not funny! I love the Prison forum but just don't find the biblical references entertaining or witty at all.

And I can also see tatranska's point about how it could be offensive to Christians.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

New "Admins" trying to be witty, cool and edgy but end up coming across like smug tools.

It is seriously annoying imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I'm a Christian and I am offended. I would like these references removed and a sincere apology forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I felt the quotes were quite apposite, and while they were a little light hearted I would not think they were offensive. The fact that the mods in question were sufficiently familiar with the quotations to be able to use them accurately might suggest that they do not use them with any intention to offend? Haven't people been quoting admonitionary Bible texts at offenders for centuries?

looksee wrote: »
    I felt the quotes were quite apposite, and while they were a little light hearted I would not think they were offensive. The fact that the mods in question were sufficiently familiar with the quotations to be able to use them accurately might suggest that they do not use them with any intention to offend? Haven't people been quoting admonitionary Bible texts at offenders for centuries?

Or that they weren't familiar with text and were just being obnoxious ignoramuses.

Back slapping culture, grand lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Deank wrote: »
    Or that they weren't familiar with text and were just being obnoxious ignoramuses.

Matthew 7:1-3 :D

looksee wrote: »
    Matthew 7:1-3 :D

Back slapping in joke. Yawn.....

Well done for being beige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'm a Christian and I am offended. I would like these references removed and a sincere apology forthwith.

Gervais 12:10:2013 - "Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right"

Orion wrote: »

Best not to feed them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Would these same mods be allowed quote the Koran in the same manner? I think not. So why should we accept that the Bible be used in this manner?

• Advertisement

Why do you think they wouldn't be allowed to? Why do you have a problem with bible citations? The bible is not being mocked - it's being used to mock - which has happened more times by religious people over the centuries than you're prepared to accept in your ivory tower. Except in those cases it usually preceded burning at the stake, boiling in oil, or something equally unpleasant.

Why do you think they wouldn't be allowed to? Why do you have a problem with bible citations? The bible is not being mocked - it's being used to mock - which has happened more times by religious people over the centuries than you're prepared to accept in your ivory tower. Except in those cases it usually preceded burning at the stake, boiling in oil, or something equally unpleasant.

Someone lacking the intellect and knowledge to understand and appreciate these texts shouldn't use them.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Lover, 2015

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

"God made me an Atheist and who are you to argue with her"

I think the quotes get some points across but what is annoying is that I have to read a Bible (online) to find the quotes. Personally I find a lot of stuff in the Bible to be offensive but I am not about to complain about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Why do you think they should be allowed to ?
    Of course Christianity doesn't have the same protected status as Islam. Let them use the Koran (another holy book) and see what happens.

If you think using the Word of God to mock people is OK then that's your opinion. I don't have to accept it being used in that manner.
    The verse I quoted from Timothy refers to its uses....mocking people isn't on the list.
    But let's wait to hear from the mods in question as no one can answer for them.

Justification indeed, well argued.

Deity wept.

Someone lacking the intellect and knowledge to understand and appreciate these texts shouldn't use them.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Lover, 2015

So you're saying that the admins lack intellect and knowledge? That's a bit arrogant and presumptuous isn't it?

Lover, 2015

So you're saying that the admins lack intellect and knowledge? That's a bit arrogant and presumptuous isn't it?

Perhaps, from my viewing of their "witty" replies in the prison forum I believe my assessment of them to be accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Surat al-Maida, 8

Why do you think they should be allowed to ?
    Of course Christianity doesn't have the same protected status as Islam. Let them use the Koran (another holy book) and see what happens.

If you think using the Word of God to mock people is OK then that's your opinion. I don't have to accept it being used in that manner.
    The verse I quoted from Timothy refers to its uses....mocking people isn't on the list.
    But let's wait to hear from the mods in question as no one can answer for them.

I think it should be allowed to because I don't accept either has protected status. What do you think would happen if the Qu'ran was used instead? Some muslims would come to feedback and bitch and moan just like you I'd imagine. Is your faith so weak that you can't abide someone using citations from your holy book? Is your god so powerless that she needs you to stand up for her?

As for accepting it - you don't have to read it either.

Lover, 2015

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." Plato

Any classical scholars want to jump in and get offended too?

• Advertisement

Lover, 2015

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." Plato

Any classical scholars want to jump in and get offended too?

Nail on the head there. Well put.

Certain people lacking any substance for a decent reply fall back on mocking sacred text to provide the "funnies"...

Again - the bible wasn't being mocked. The inmates were. Some people really need to get a life read the Talmud ... "A quotation at the right moment is like bread to the famished"

Perhaps, from my viewing of their "witty" replies in the prison forum I believe my assessment of them to be accurate.

Colossians 3:13

Certain people lacking any substance for a decent reply fall back on mocking sacred text to provide the "funnies"...

2 Timothy 3:16

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,"

So the bible says it's ok. Problem solved?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Worst feedback thread ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

While I enjoy reading the witty reposts by mods in the Prison Forum.

Can I ask why there is suddenly a usage of Bible verses to score/make points?

Personally, as a Christian, I find it offensive that writings which I and many others consider the inspired Word of God (2 Tim 3:16) is being used in such a frivolous manner.

If you used verses from the Koran it wouldn't be tolerated and would be seen as demeaning of Islam (we all know Islam has a protected status on Boards)... why the double standards?
    I dont know whether its an Advent thing or what but a lot of the admins have gone a bit wonky as far as I can see. They seem to have taken to religion in a big way in recent days.
    What I find offensive is being asked to take my shoes off before entering the mods forum and then within seconds everyone is telling me to put them back on :eek:

On a more serious note I haven't a clue whats going on but its a bit of lighthearted humour though at the end of the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The way I see it is that if you're a prisoner in the Prison forum, you've obviously done something to warrant being there.

You, as the prisoner, have no right to tell a Mod/Admin YOU'RE offended by something said Mod/Admin has said in retaliation to you.

If you're a person just reading the Prison forum, well....haven't you anything better to be doing than saying "Think I'll read the Prison forum...ooh look, a retort by a Mod/Admin!! Wait....I'm offended! I'm going to complain!"
    This world has gone PC bloody mad and I'm sick of it.

I personally love the witty remarks by the Mods/Admin in the aforementioned forum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Holy Book?

Sacred Scripture?

Word of God?

Can I put Aesops Fables on this list? No more fables are to be used for the purpose of illustrating someones errors in judgement and the consequences of same.

Otherwise I will also be offended by the use of my chosen literary means of educating simple people to try to be halfway decent to one another for a purpose other than that which I explicitly approve.

I demand protected status for my outdated book, Dog-Dang-It!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Pints, 8:30?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement