Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biblical References by Prison Mods is insulting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

This was the first thing that popped into my head when I finished reading the OP. If we censor quotes from religious textbooks, we would not have had the most popular wrestler in history:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I'm somewhat reassured to see that not even boards.ie has escaped today's grievance culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Deank wrote: »
    New "Admins" trying to be witty, cool and edgy but end up coming across like smug tools.

It is seriously annoying imo.

Mr E is new? Trout? The Hill Billy?

I'm unsure if this thread is (a) to get at certain admins or (b) to have a dig at the muslims.

In the event that the OP is sincere, I might ask what book would you suggest they quote to a largely English speaking Western European userbase mostly located in a small relatively conservative ostensibly catholic majority state? What one might first come to mind ? The I-ching? The Vedic scriptures?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I draw the line if there is any mocking of The Book of Armaments
    Book of Armaments 2:9-21

And the Lord spake, saying, First shalt
    thou take out the Holy Pin.

Then, shalt thou count to three, no more,
    no less.

Three shalt be the number thou shalt
    count, and the number of the counting
    shalt be three.

Four shalt thou not count,
    nor either count thou two, excepting that
    thou then proceed to three.

Five is right out.

Once the number three,
    being the third number, be reached, then
    lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of
    Antioch towards thy foe, who being
    naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If you used verses from the Koran it wouldn't be tolerated and would be seen as demeaning of Islam (we all know Islam has a protected status on Boards)... why the double standards?

Islam is constantly ridiculed and criticised on this board!!

Come over to CVPL somethime if you don't believe me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The bible quotes aren't insulting but the general mod actions/response are insulting towards the posters. Yes they are there for a reason but the mods/admins just come across like dicks when they post like that, especially when any response is screened before it's posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Islam is constantly ridiculed and criticised on this board??

Come over to CVPL somethime if you don't believe me

Don't have a clue what cvpl is.

As for what book they should quote, maybe try the complete works of Noddy. Using a book that I and many others view as sacred to ridicule people is offensive. But let's wait for the offenders to give their defence...so far we have a lot of mods jumping to their defence and protesting their innocence. Perhaps a slot on the Late Late Show is needed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As for what book they should quote, maybe try the complete works of Noddy. Using a book that I and many others view as sacred to ridicule people is offensive. But let's wait for the offenders to give their defence...so far we have a lot of mods jumping to their defence and protesting their innocence. Perhaps a slot on the Late Late Show is needed!!

Viewing a book as sacred is the first step in many steps to madness.

Perhaps veiw others around you as human and view humanity as sacred rather than printed words from the same humans.

Sacred.... Good jaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Orion wrote: »
    I think it should be allowed to because I don't accept either has protected status. What do you think would happen if the Qu'ran was used instead? Some muslims would come to feedback and bitch and moan just like you I'd imagine. Is your faith so weak that you can't abide someone using citations from your holy book? Is your god so powerless that she needs you to stand up for her?

As for accepting it - you don't have to read it either.
    Do you practice at being offensive?
    Doesn't matter that you don't consider Islam protected, boards.ie does.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,422 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Do you practice at being offensive?
    Doesn't matter that you don't consider Islam protected, boards.ie does.

Do you practice at being offended?
    Its the equivalent to a 6 year old getting pissed off because someone slagged off peter pan

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭gleesonger

I read through a few threads, the mods quoting the bible to one another comes across as very immature. I get an image of them slapping themselves on their backs and sniggering about how smart and witty they are.

In particular The Hill Billy, Mr E, and trouts are very poor; Example: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057537271/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I used to find the Prison Forum quite interesting to read and, at times, entertaining but it's turned into a weird episode of Judge Judy ........... it seems that if you just agree with the ban imposed and apologise you're "released" whereas if you set forward a reasoned logical appeal then you're ridiculed by Mods making a poor attempt at being "witty" ....... I find myself embarrassed on the Mods behalf when reading their posts/replies.

What's the point of it all? Either it's a genuine appeals process or it isn't ........ :confused:

I've often read appeals posts and thought to myself "That poster deserves his/her ban" or "That poster may have a point, the ban was unnecessary and over the top" .......... but what usually follows is 2/3/4 Mods trying to be funny and entertain eachother for some reason ....... it all comes across as a little pathetic in my opinion.

I'll probably end up in "Prison" now for posting this but hopefully "Feedback" is taken more seriously on Boards than appeals are ....... we'll see. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I used to find the Prison Forum quite interesting to read and, at times, entertaining but it's turned into a weird episode of Judge Judy ........... it seems that if you just agree with the ban imposed and apologise you're "released" whereas if you set forward a reasoned logical appeal then you're ridiculed by Mods making a poor attempt at being "witty" .......

It's been that way for at least ten years, dude. Check the old threads sometime.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Personally, as a Christian, I find it offensive that writings which I and many others consider the inspired Word of God (2 Tim 3:16) is being used in such a frivolous manner.

If you used verses from the Koran it wouldn't be tolerated and would be seen as demeaning of Islam (we all know Islam has a protected status on Boards)... why the double standards?

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Can I ask why there is suddenly a usage of Bible verses to score/make points?
    As an admin who has quoted bible verses I have to say that I don't honestly know why their recent use has come about.
    Personally, as a Christian, I find it offensive that writings which I and many others consider the inspired Word of God (2 Tim 3:16) is being used in such a frivolous manner.
    In fairness, if you read the quotes you will find that the convey rather serious & salient points, albeit in a lighthearted fashion. Bringing a little joy to the boards world & all that. It is a pity that this offends you. Proverbs 19:11 may provide some advice in this regard.
    There's no double-standards that I am aware of. I have never read the Koran, therefore I am not in a position to quote from it.

To those of you who may have had a little smile at the quotes, I salute you for reading them in the manner in which they were intended.

All the best,

tHB

An File wrote: »
    It's been that way for at least ten years, dude. Check the old threads sometime.

It's gotten progressively worse recently ......... you used to see the odd genuine appeal taken seriously and dealt with accordingly ......... but now it's just weird in a very unfunny way ........... like reading the diary of somebody slowly going insane ......... starts off normal, then a few funny lines here & there, then it goes a bit "strange" and in the end it's just all very sad unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

There's no double-standards that I am aware of. I have never read the Koran, therefore I am not in a position to quote from it.

Are you saying you've read and memorised all these quotes. It looks to me like you're just Googleing 'Bible + quote about x'

I will say that The Hill Billy has always been a poster that I respected/liked ........ a Mod that I found excellent ........ and now, as Admin, I hope somebody who can influence the Prison Forum in a positive way and not get dragged down to some weird/strange level of posting.

Big thumbs up for at least replying on this thread and in a positive way.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just to follow up on what THB has said (better than I could), I'll stop with the bible quotes - not because anyone is offended (I don't care - it was never meant to offend), but because it has probably passed the point of being funny.

For those who land in prison for innocent and honest reasons, they will be let out without any fanfare. Absolutely no problem.

The prison forum is there for people to plead their cases - if they have a good explanation for why they landed there, they will be let out. Those 3 were within the last few days.

The sad fact is that over 85% of those who land in prison are reregs, trolls, spammers and multi-accounters who have been caught out (many many times in some cases). The prison forum may have been started in earnest many years ago, but these muppets who come back again and again would try anybody's patience. The same goes for the guys who have been caught red handed breaking site rules but still protest their innocence regardless.

Happy Christmas, or Hanukkah, or Id al-Adha, or Winter Solstice, or Saturnalia, or Zartusht-no-diso, or Yule, or Day of the Return of the Wandering Goddess - select the right blessing according to your faith.

Happy Holidays to everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Someone lacking the intellect and knowledge to understand and appreciate these texts shouldn't use them.

Some idiot god is, making a holy book that's not intelligible to all of his people.
    If you think using the Word of God...

The word of god gives tips on buying slaves and looking after them?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mr E wrote: »
    Happy Christmas, or Hanukkah, or Id al-Adha, or Winter Solstice, or Saturnalia, or Zartusht-no-diso, or Yule, or Day of the Return of the Wandering Goddess - select the right blessing according to your faith.

Happy Holidays to everyone else.

You forgot Kwanzaa. I may or may not be offended on somebody's behalf!

Zaph wrote: »
    You forgot Kwanzaa. I may or may not be offended on somebody's behalf!

And there is an example of a "funny" Prison Forum-style post. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah would you stop. Lighten up, MadDog76. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

As for what book they should quote, maybe try the complete works of Noddy.

...unfortunately I charge a fee.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I'm offended by your lack of sense of humour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭Whyohwhy?

People possibly getting offended by mods quoting from a work of fiction?!?
    Holy flying spaghetti monster!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Only Admin can post in Prison, not Mods.

The other thing that should be explained is that Mods have certain tools and privileges to allow a bigger picture. Admin have even more resources and it can become quickly apparent who is making a genuine appeal and who is wasting time. The time wasters do provide some light hearted entertainment. Often those making the appeals have been there many times under different names.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I will reiterate the point made above by Mr E and CabanSail - a significant proportion of the posters who end up in Prison are re-regs, trolls and worse. Many of them have no intention of changing their posting style so as to be a positive contributor to Boards. These trolls know the game, and they play it. This may not be always obvious to regular posters who do not have access to the same suite of tools as the Mods, CMods and Admins. These posters are utter timesinks.

Genuine posters who have ended up in Prison through some genuine mistake will pretty much always have their ban lifted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭Whyohwhy?

dudara wrote: »
    I will reiterate the point made above by Mr E and CabanSail - a significant proportion of the posters who end up in Prison are re-regs, trolls and worse. Many of them have no intention of changing their posting style so as to be a positive contributor to Boards. These trolls know the game, and they play it. This may not be always obvious to regular posters who do not have access to the same suite of tools as the Mods, CMods and Admins. These posters are utter timesinks.

Genuine posters who have ended up in Prison through some genuine mistake will pretty much always have their ban lifted.

Ah, I got bans recently (first one for allegedly repeat spamming, was simply trying raise awareness for a charity, probably against the rules, but two days later a far more in depth appeal was made for the same cause, not banned) and the last one I don't know why I got it. Each time I've had to re-reg(mod advised me for one of time) as I couldn't even gain access to the prison forum to plead my case!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement