Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biblical References by Prison Mods is insulting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Whyohwhy? wrote: »
    Each time I've had to re-reg(mod advised me for one of time) as I couldn't even gain access to the prison forum to plead my case!

That sounds like a mistake was made during the banning process. You should have been given access to Prison in order to discuss your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

If you used verses from the Koran it wouldn't be tolerated and would be seen as demeaning of Islam (we all know Islam has a protected status on Boards)... why the double standards?
    Would these same mods be allowed quote the Koran in the same manner? I think not. So why should we accept that the Bible be used in this manner?
    Of course Christianity doesn't have the same protected status as Islam. Let them use the Koran (another holy book) and see what happens.
    Do you practice at being offensive?
    Doesn't matter that you don't consider Islam protected, boards.ie does.

One might surmise that there's an agenda at play here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Mr E wrote: »
    Ah would you stop. Lighten up, MadDog76. :o

I suppose I'd better do as I'm told. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Mr E wrote: »
    Just to follow up on what THB has said (better than I could), I'll stop with the bible quotes - not because anyone is offended (I don't care - it was never meant to offend), but because it has probably passed the point of being funny.

For those who land in prison for innocent and honest reasons, they will be let out without any fanfare. Absolutely no problem.

The prison forum is there for people to plead their cases - if they have a good explanation for why they landed there, they will be let out. Those 3 were within the last few days.

The sad fact is that over 85% of those who land in prison are reregs, trolls, spammers and multi-accounters who have been caught out (many many times in some cases). The prison forum may have been started in earnest many years ago, but these muppets who come back again and again would try anybody's patience. The same goes for the guys who have been caught red handed breaking site rules but still protest their innocence regardless.

Happy Christmas, or Hanukkah, or Id al-Adha, or Winter Solstice, or Saturnalia, or Zartusht-no-diso, or Yule, or Day of the Return of the Wandering Goddess - select the right blessing according to your faith.

Happy Holidays to everyone else.
    CabanSail wrote: »
    Only Admin can post in Prison, not Mods.

The other thing that should be explained is that Mods have certain tools and privileges to allow a bigger picture. Admin have even more resources and it can become quickly apparent who is making a genuine appeal and who is wasting time. The time wasters do provide some light hearted entertainment. Often those making the appeals have been there many times under different names.
    dudara wrote: »
    I will reiterate the point made above by Mr E and CabanSail - a significant proportion of the posters who end up in Prison are re-regs, trolls and worse. Many of them have no intention of changing their posting style so as to be a positive contributor to Boards. These trolls know the game, and they play it. This may not be always obvious to regular posters who do not have access to the same suite of tools as the Mods, CMods and Admins. These posters are utter timesinks.

Genuine posters who have ended up in Prison through some genuine mistake will pretty much always have their ban lifted.

I recognise that there are repeat offenders and that you're ridiculing of them is a justified way of wasting their time for a change ........ I admit, I do find those exchanges whereby the repeat offender is becoming more and more frustrated before finally giving up quite amusing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I meant no offence.

I was ribbing frequent (Prison) flyers in what I thought was a gentle and good natured manner ... while at the same time hoping that the essential truth and beauty of the Biblical references would have a positive effect on all concerned, encouraging them to use their time for better things than trolling and time-wasting.

Believe it or not, I regularly make Bible references in my day to day conversation, especially from Proverbs; much of Proverbs is very practical advice, that is still very relevant in this modern world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It is true that people who use bible references (even if a little tongue in cheek) know the bible well enough to be able to do so. It may be necessary to use google to get the actual reference, but if you do not know the quote you cannot look it up.

Mind you, its surprising how many atheists know the bible pretty well :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Meh to be honest I probably wouldn't mind it if they included the text along with the quote.

But in threads where they just give a random name/verse/whatever, without actually quoting the words ... like f*ck am I going to go Googling it each time. Especially since I'm usually on my phone. And it's annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

CabanSail wrote: »
    Only Admin can post in Prison, not Mods.

The other thing that should be explained is that Mods have certain tools and privileges to allow a bigger picture. Admin have even more resources and it can become quickly apparent who is making a genuine appeal and who is wasting time. The time wasters do provide some light hearted entertainment. Often those making the appeals have been there many times under different names.

A bit of trolling the trolls is no harm. They have often wasted mods and other posters time, so no harm done.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

As an admin who has quoted bible verses I have to say that I don't honestly know why their recent use has come about.

tHB

I find it odd that you don't know why you are posting something. Proverbs 4:26
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    Some idiot god is, making a holy book that's not intelligible to all of his people.

The word of god gives tips on buying slaves and looking after them?
    To some of us who take the time to study it and the background to it, it is intelligible and we can differentiate between the different styles of writing.
    Whyohwhy? wrote: »
    People possibly getting offended by mods quoting from a work of fiction?!?
    Holy flying spaghetti monster!
    Thats your opinion, which you;re entitled to. A lot more people look to it as fact....what is it with the FSM?...the only spagetti in my house is the kind I eat:)
    One might surmise that there's an agenda at play here.

Absolutely no agenda but I would like the same consideration shown to Islam, shown to Christianity. No one would dream of offending Islam.
    trout wrote: »
    I meant no offence.

I was ribbing frequent (Prison) flyers in what I thought was a gentle and good natured manner ... while at the same time hoping that the essential truth and beauty of the Biblical references would have a positive effect on all concerned, encouraging them to use their time for better things than trolling and time-wasting.

Believe it or not, I regularly make Bible references in my day to day conversation, especially from Proverbs; much of Proverbs is very practical advice, that is still very relevant in this modern world.

Thanks for the apology, its appreciated. While I can understand the sentiments behind the references and their applicability to modern life, its bewildering to most prisoners and is more a case of throwing your pearls before swine than giving instruction in the way they should proceed.
    K-9 wrote: »
    A bit of trolling the trolls is no harm. They have often wasted mods and other posters time, so no harm done.

Agreed, trolling the trolls can be fun, but not at the expense of others please. As for wasting mod time....is it not a case of this just wasting more time for already hard pressed Admins ...why cause a further time sink with I would assume very little benefit to repeat offenders. How many of them take the time to look up the reference or indeed understand it?

As an atheist I'm massively threatened by the oppressive quotation of this historical bloodbath of a book when doling out harsh punishment..... Where's my medal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Nodin wrote: »
    Mr E is new? Trout? The Hill Billy?

I'm unsure if this thread is (a) to get at certain admins or (b) to have a dig at the muslims.

In the event that the OP is sincere, I might ask what book would you suggest they quote to a largely English speaking Western European userbase mostly located in a small relatively conservative ostensibly catholic majority state? What one might first come to mind ? The I-ching? The Vedic scriptures?
    Maybe they could try something original?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Thats your opinion, which you;re entitled to. A lot more people look to it as fact
    no, a lot more people don't take it as fact. Some poor unfortunates think it's real, that does not by any means make it so. the majority of the globe are not bible bashing Christians
    what is it with the FSM?...the only spagetti in my house is the kind I eat:)
    Flying spaghetti monster is a modern parody religion born from desire to show how absurd organised religious beliefs are in the first place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

perhaps we should move on to quoting Harry Potter, at least it's more relevant to most people?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I, for one, would like to see admins quote more of Shakespeare's works in the Prison forum.

Or perhaps a weekly theme!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Absolutely no agenda but I would like the same consideration shown to Islam, shown to Christianity. No one would dream of offending Islam.

Right...
    Keep servicing that narrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

looksee wrote: »

Why? Knowledge made me an atheist. I know the bible better than most Christians I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Orion wrote: »
    looksee wrote: »

Why? Knowledge made me an atheist. I know the bible better than most Christians I know.

You've discussed it with most Christians?

Check out the Funny side of religion thread on A&A if you really think any religion is protected. Including Islam - it's as much of a target as christianity. The only thing special about your religion is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Maybe they could try something original?

Go on then.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Most christians I know. If you're going to try to score a point at least be adult about it.

Most christians I know. If you're going to try to score a point at least be adult about it.

Just sounded like you have debated it with the majority of however many millions of Christians out there. Which would be pretty thorough, to say the least

• Advertisement

Are you purposely just being an arse? I said christians I know. How, in your world, does that translate to every christian in the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Just sounded like you have debated it with the majority of however many millions of Christians out there. Which would be pretty thorough, to say the least

If you had kept reading it wouldnt have sounded that way.

If you had kept reading it wouldnt have sounded that way.

So Orion has brought up and debated the subject with the majority of Christians he/she knows? Including any Christian co workers, extended family, milkmen etc etc.

I just find it hard to believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Check out the Funny side of religion thread on A&A if you really think any religion is protected. Including Islam - it's as much of a target as christianity. The only thing special about your religion is you.

I was just about to post something similar. We (Irish people) are free to express any religious views we wish, Christians can talk about Christianity, Muslims about Islam, atheists about any and no belief.

While I do not always think the posts in the Funny Side thread are always all that funny, I do value the fact that we can post them without boards being closed down, or anyone put to death, beaten or stoned for expressing ideas that go against official dogma. Being 'offended' is a petty response to this freedom.

20:12:2015.

"I'm hungry, someone make me a sandwich".

The way I see it is no matter what you say or do, somebody will get offended. Guaranteed there's one person somewhere that will get offended by my above quote. Maybe they had a bad experience with a loaf of bread. Maybe a sandwich killed their father and they got triggered by me asking for one.

If we tried to play it safe for everyone to try and not offend anyone, then life would be f*cking boring.

If you get offended by people using religious quotes in the Prison forum, then don't visit the Prison forum. Simples.

And to add, if they knew verses from the Qur'an, they'd probably use them if it was relevant. Some Muslims might get offended, while others would see the joviality of it.

Isn't life fun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

So Orion has brought up and debated the subject with the majority of Christians he/she knows? Including any Christian co workers, extended family, milkmen etc etc.

I just find it hard to believe...
    Oh you're right, sorry about that. Next time I'll read until the end of the sentence before getting outraged. I definitely won't just take the goalposts and run off with them in an attempt to save face.

There we go. Thats a bit better

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Islam gets criticised and ridiculed as much as Christianity does when the situation arises. I can't see how anyone would think it has a special 'protection'. I would guess the OP is more tuned in to be offended where Christianity is mocked as she has more of an investment there. It should also be noted that as more posters here will have been force fed Christianity then it is a more valid target for ridicule. Islam can be ridiculed on a macro level whereas Christianity can be criticised on a micro level.

I'm actually on the Qur'an website right now and it's pretty great. You can click on a button and some dude sings verses at you. I was going to find one to post here, to prove a point, but this is far too much fun. One of the fellas is giving it some fierce welly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

As an atheist I'm massively threatened by the oppressive quotation of this historical bloodbath of a book when doling out harsh punishment..... Where's my medal.

We'll give you one when the world ends...what kind would you like? :D
    no, a lot more people don't take it as fact. Some poor unfortunates think it's real, that does not by any means make it so. the majority of the globe are not bible bashing Christians

Flying spaghetti monster is a modern parody religion born from desire to show how absurd organised religious beliefs are in the first place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

perhaps we should move on to quoting Harry Potter, at least it's more relevant to most people?

A lot of people do take it as fact and consider those who dont as the poor unfortunates so there you go...a standoff (wont include the word "Mexican" in case any get offended.

I'm also familiar with the FSM.....I ate one of his offspring today for dinner.:D
    Right...
    Keep servicing that narrative.

We had a thread confirming the narrative (linked in my op) so how am I wrong?
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Islam gets criticised and ridiculed as much as Christianity does when the situation arises. I can't see how anyone would think it has a special 'protection'. I would guess the OP is more tuned in to be offended where Christianity is mocked as she has more of an investment there. It should also be noted that as more posters here will have been force fed Christianity then it is a more valid target for ridicule. Islam can be ridiculed on a macro level whereas Christianity can be criticised on a micro level.

Where did you get the misconception I was a "she" from?
    As for being "force fed" Christianity...it was more a case of being force fed religion....I found it doesn't work and after 30 years a Christian have very little time for religion.

As referenced in my OP, the protected status of Islam has been confirmed in writing as has the unprotected status of Christianity but unlike Muslims, we're more than able to defend ourselves when necessary and respond to questions and arguments in a fairly logical manner. (well. some of us are anyway)

While I've no problem with Christianity being criticised, I do have a problem with the Bible being used to score points and ridicule people which was my original point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I do have a problem with the Bible being used to score points and ridicule people which was my original point.

What else are you supposed to use it for? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement