Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biblical References by Prison Mods is insulting

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

We had a thread confirming the narrative (linked in my op) so how am I wrong?

As referenced in my OP, the protected status of Islam has been confirmed in writing as has the unprotected status of Christianity but unlike Muslims, we're more than able to defend ourselves when necessary and respond to questions and arguments in a fairly logical manner. (well. some of us are anyway)

Nowhere in your OP do you have a link showing that quotes from the Koran are not permissible in the Prison forum (or any other forum for that matter).

You have linked to a thread discussing what is acceptable in the Islam forum.
    So I fail to see the relevance with regards to the posts your are highlighting in the Prison forum.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

As referenced in my OP, the protected status of Islam has been confirmed in writing as has the unprotected status of Christianity but unlike Muslims, we're more than able to defend ourselves when necessary and respond to questions and arguments in a fairly logical manner. (well. some of us are anyway)
    The fact that you are free to make a sweeping generalisation such as this about Muslims (and not Islam as a religion) would indicate that 'Islam' does not have this protected status you appear to believe it has. Reading virtually any thread on boards about Islam (and Muslims generally) would also demonstrate this. The problem with some Islam-related threads is that they can descend, rather quickly at times, into anti-Muslim rantings which are not reasoned, theologically-based critiques of the religion but rather plain old prejudiced view points. The people posting these views then tend to fall back on excuses about being critical of the religion, and then subsequently that their criticisms of the religion are being silenced - which is not the case in my experience, their prejudices (and at times outright bigotry) about a group of people is what gets moderated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

While I've no problem with Christianity being criticised, I do have a problem with the Bible being used to score points and ridicule people which was my original point.

Can you provide a quote that says that Islam is protected but Christianity isn't? There is no mention of using quotes to score points in that thread which you claim to be your problem.

It is protected within the Islam forum, just as Christianity is protected within its forum and all the other forums. If you go to the Cycling or Martial Arts forums you will also find them to be somewhat protected as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

K-9 wrote: »
    Go on then.

You'll have to wait until I reach the rank of Admin :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm a Christian and I am offended. I would like these references removed and a sincere apology forthwith.
    I'm not and I found them funny. I also find the fact that you're offended quite funny.

Could you not just forgive them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,093 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So Orion has brought up and debated the subject with the majority of Christians he/she knows? Including any Christian co workers, extended family, milkmen etc etc.

I just find it hard to believe...

I dunno about you but everywhere I've ever worked there is generally a policy of not discussing sex, religion, and politics. So I couldn't tell you what the majority of my co-workers believe. For all I know the majority of people on the payroll are Atheists, or they're Presbyterians, or Jewish. Impossible to say. Again just sounds like you're being ultra-literal about the point being made just to act like a dick.

For the record most people I get into conversations with are agnostic, several others have been well mannered Christians and some have been wound-up thumpers that think evolution can't exist because human eyeballs exist and stfu if you mention colorblindness. Impossible to say if the milkman (there are still "milkmen?") or how many of my extended family members or coworkers are religious or what they practice because we don't force people in society to self-identify.
    Zaph wrote: »
    You forgot Kwanzaa. I may or may not be offended on somebody's behalf!

Pretty sure Kwanzaa is younger than you are, old man!
    MadDog76 wrote: »
    It's gotten progressively worse recently ......... you used to see the odd genuine appeal taken seriously and dealt with accordingly ......... but now it's just weird in a very unfunny way ........... like reading the diary of somebody slowly going insane ......... starts off normal, then a few funny lines here & there, then it goes a bit "strange" and in the end it's just all very sad unfortunately.

If you read it often enough you'll see genuine appeals beget genuine action from the admins. In this case we see as readers a serial re-reg who demonstrably was disingenuous at the start of their appeal as was proven by the admins through the usual course of vetting their appeal.

As for quoting bible verses - unless they had read the bible to know the verses, it would have been hard to know which ones to quote (all but one seemed all rather pointed and apt) leading me to either believe that the admins are Christians themselves or at least learned enough to use the passages respectably.

This meanwhile is the extent of my own biblical referencing capabilities:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

An File wrote: »
    What else are you supposed to use it for? :confused:

Booster seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I find it odd that you don't know why you are posting something. Proverbs 4:26

Was that a typo?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

I'm a Christian and I am offended. I would like these references removed and a sincere apology forthwith.

Matthew 5:39

"But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

So much for this gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

While I enjoy reading the witty reposts by mods in the Prison Forum.

Can I ask why there is suddenly a usage of Bible verses to score/make points?

Personally, as a Christian, I find it offensive that writings which I and many others consider the inspired Word of God (2 Tim 3:16) is being used in such a frivolous manner.

If you used verses from the Koran it wouldn't be tolerated and would be seen as demeaning of Islam (we all know Islam has a protected status on Boards)... why the double standards?

A point well made but while it may be a new phenomenon in the prison forum this bigotry,which is what it is,has been given the green light for many a year now on Boards.ie.While it began quite insidiously,it was allowed to flourish and regrettably is now the norm.Personally I put it down to the constant media attempt to erode christian morals.We seen it peak in may on this forum in the run up to the SSM referendum and now it's beginning again with what will be another referendum to repeal the 8th ammendment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

fran17 wrote: »
    A point well made but while it may be a new phenomenon in the prison forum this bigotry,which is what it is,has been given the green light for many a year now on Boards.ie.While it began quite insidiously,it was allowed to flourish and regrettably is now the norm.Personally I put it down to the constant media attempt to erode christian morals.We seen it peak in may on this forum in the run up to the SSM referendum and now it's beginning again with what will be another referendum to repeal the 8th ammendment.

What a load of crap. There is no bigotry. And now bible citations are being used to erode christian morale? This would actually be funny if it wasn't so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

We'll hold our hands up now. It is a fair cop, guv. The Admin Team are in the pockets of the major media outlets & are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Anti-Christ to lead us in an unholy crusade to spread gayness across the globe.

Sweet suffering jaysus! Where do you come up with this stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

We'll hold our hands up now. It is a fair cop, guv. The Admin Team are in the pockets of the major media outlets & are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Anti-Christ to lead us in an unholy crusade to spread gayness across the globe.

And abortion - don't forget that. Goes hand in hand - them gays are well known baby killers too.

Oh come on thb,it's the elephant in the room and has been for donkey years now.I always get a giggle when protocol is to dismiss any other point of view as nothing other than conspiracy madness.
    There was no mod or admin who opposed the ssm referendum,despite nearly 40% of the population opposing it,and I'll be very surprised if one opposes the upcoming referendum either.At least be honest about it.

This is Lieutenant Sun King, of the Fifth Gay Battalion. We are about to launch our offensive on Vatican City.

Your mission is to take up the rear (ooh matron) and kill any unborn children found behind our lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Oh come on thb,it's the elephant in the room and has been for donkey years now.I always get a giggle when protocol is to dismiss any other point of view as nothing other than conspiracy madness.
    There was no mod or admin who opposed the ssm referendum,despite nearly 40% of the population opposing it,and I'll be very surprised if one opposes the upcoming referendum either.At least be honest about it.

This is bat shít crazy conspiracy stuff. :D

Orion wrote: »
    What a load of crap. There is no bigotry. And now bible citations are being used to erode christian morale? This would actually be funny if it wasn't so sad.

I disagree Orion,what's sad is that in a forum which has such a diverse range of beliefs and opinions it's the abuse of Christianity that has been nurtured and promoted.An excellent example is after hours,if the thread is positive about Christianity it's moved to another forum but if it's negative it remains.Isn't after hours the most viewed forum? Hmmm

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You surveyed all the mods and admins then?

Peregrine wrote: »
    You surveyed all the mods and admins then?

Prove me wrong and I'll gladly retract that.

Prove me wrong and I'll gladly retract that.

If you're the one proposing some frankly absurd conspiracy theory then it's on you to prove it.

• Advertisement

El Guapo! wrote: »
    If you're the one proposing some frankly absurd conspiracy theory then it's on you to prove it.

Let's leave the fallacies to one side El Guapo,again prove me wrong and I'll retract it happily.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mods are permitted to hold their own personal opinions, there's no standard Boards view on any topic. That any mods who expressed an opinion on SSM did so in favour is probably more a product of the demographic profile of the mod cohort rather than any other reason. However many mods didn't express any opinion so it's not unreasonable to assume that at least some of them voted no. That they chose not to publicly express that opinion is a personal matter for them.

Is there a CT equivalent to Godwin's law where they make a crazy claim and ask you to provide evidence to the contrary?

Let's leave the fallacies to one side El Guapo,again prove me wrong and I'll retract it happily.

No you're grand thanks. I've better things to do than disprove insane conspiracy theory ramblings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

You should get in contact with the bishop op and get a fatwa out on the mods, or else do a Jesus and turn the other cheek.

If there's a boards protocol for dealing with opposing points of view, then I missed the memo. I've also been kept in the dark about the pro-SSM hivemind that you mention.

To be honest, you've pretty much disparaged every single mod of this site with those remarks. We are all adults who are more than capable of making up our own minds about referenda & don't sit around waiting for boards HQ to tell us what way to vote or even what way to mod.

Seriously, you could not be further from the mark on this.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    No you're grand thanks. I've better things to do than disprove insane conspiracy theory ramblings.

So it was a fallacy then.Thanks for your feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Absolutely no agenda
    Ok, let me just read the rest of your post

No one would dream of offending Islam.

Oh.

If there's a boards protocol for dealing with opposing points of view, then I missed the memo. I've also been kept in the dark about the pro-SSM hivemind that you mention.

To be honest, you've pretty much disparaged every single mod of this site with those remarks. We are all adults who are more than capable of making up our own minds about referenda & don't sit around waiting for boards HQ to tell us what way to vote or even what way to mod.

Seriously, you could not be further from the mark on this.

Well thb I wasn't waiting at the letterbox for the mod Christmas cards to flood in either.Would this be a good time to ask you to lift my after hours ban?
    You've missed my point here,I don't believe that any mod is forced to go against there beliefs.There all highly intelligent people,no doubt,but all just seem to be of the one belief.

• Advertisement

See Zaph's post above.

As for lifting your AH ban - we've been over that one before. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement