Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biblical References by Prison Mods is insulting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

fran17 wrote: »
    I disagree Orion,what's sad is that in a forum which has such a diverse range of beliefs and opinions it's the abuse of Christianity that has been nurtured and promoted.An excellent example is after hours,if the thread is positive about Christianity it's moved to another forum but if it's negative it remains.Isn't after hours the most viewed forum? Hmmm

That's all confirmation bias, I'm sure the mods had good reasoning for moving/not moving threads.

Somebody who is biased themselves will often see bias where none exists, the persecution complex about the liberal, biased media in this case.

Doesn't mean sometimes they make good points but the user base has a general make up and mods can't do anything about that. The US politics threads are very critical of Donald Trump, but there isn't a hell of a lot we can do about that either!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,093 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

El Guapo! wrote: »
    If you're the one proposing some frankly absurd conspiracy theory then it's on you to prove it.

Second this, as a CT mod..
    fran17 wrote:
    There was no mod or admin who opposed the ssm referendum,despite nearly 40% of the population opposing it,and I'll be very surprised if one opposes the upcoming referendum either.At least be honest about it.
    I don't remember anyone taking a poll of mods/admins for their views on the referendum. I certainly wasn't participant to it. It might be more accurate though of you to say you did not note any mod or admin opposing the referendum. As for 40% of the general population, it should be patently obvious, surprising no one, that boards is not a 1:1 representation of the population. If it was you would understand we would be overrun with trolls and racists.
    K-9 wrote:
    The US politics threads are very critical of Donald Trump, but there isn't a hell of a lot we can do about that either!
    ..That's perceived as a problem? Perhaps Trump should stop doing things worthy of critique.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

See Zaph's post above.

As for lifting your AH ban - we've been over that one before. :)

The season of goodwill and all that?
    Oops sorry,that's a positive reference to Christianity :-P

K-9 wrote: »
    That's all confirmation bias, I'm sure the mods had good reasoning for moving/not moving threads.

Somebody who is biased themselves will often see bias where none exists, the persecution complex about the liberal, biased media in this case.

Doesn't mean sometimes they make good points but the user base has a general make up and mods can't do anything about that. The US politics threads are very critical of Donald Trump, but there isn't a hell of a lot we can do about that either!

I'm sure they did K-9.Once yeah,twice is a coincidence but all the time and one must become suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Mod note
    Just a quick note. While this is feedback we still do ask posters not to personally attack other posters.
    A post that crossed that line, with no other input was just removed and the poster warned. Feedback is critical to this site, but posters who are here just to derail these threads with personal spats won't last too long...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You've missed my point here,I don't believe that any mod is forced to go against there beliefs.There all highly intelligent people,no doubt,but all just seem to be of the one belief.
    I'm a mod.

I'm somewhere to the right of Mussolini, thought the rainbow overlays on Arsebook and here the usual bandwagoning right on stuff, was mostly meh about the SSM thing though voted yes mainly because I don't particularly care and it wouldn't affect me in the least little bit. I think much of what passes for feminism has become a farce worthy of a giggle. I would have quite a few questions about abortion and would limit it to very early on in the pregnancy. Would agree with you that Christianity, specifically Catholicism gets a fair old hard time here due to the crap it caused on this little island, though would also feel that was also the responsibility of the average Irish person at the time(I guarantee if Boards was here in the 1950's quite the number of vocal atheists about the place would have been craw thumpers). Though Islam gets it as bad if not worse of late. "Politically" I would likely live in opposite land to a lot of admins and mods on Boards.ie and trust me I would not be alone in that.

Happy now?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

trout wrote: »
    Was that a typo?
    No, but the unfortunately in the english it gets lost in the myriad of translations:D
    You should get in contact with the bishop op and get a fatwa out on the mods, or else do a Jesus and turn the other cheek.

Why would I contact a bishop Though I do have a letter on file from the Archbishop appointing me to the board of management of my sons school. I've not told him that I'm not RC :rolleyes: As for turning the other cheek, there are also times to make a stand and defend the faith
    Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm a mod.

Would agree with you that Christianity, specifically Catholicism gets a fair old hard time here due to the crap it caused on this little island, though would also feel that was also the responsibility of the average Irish person at the time

Congrats on having one of the most thankless jobs on the planet ,except maybe Santa Claus who is expected to break the working time directive on one night of the year thanks to millions of over demanding kids.

To be fair, the hard time Catholicism got was justified in some respects, the problem is that it goes beyond an attack on a denomination to an attack on God who had nothing to do with what a lot of people who said they represented Him did.

I have to give credit to people,I've not seen a thread so well derailed so quickly in a while.:D

Its interesting to see MR E refer to this thread from the boards gulag. I'll be the first one to call for serial offenders to be imprisoned and actions taken against them, however the governing bodies decide....Its a bit like the Special Criminal Courts in my mind.

It would be a interesting exercise to allow a jury or at least allow people to thank posts...maybe thats another feedback thread:rolleyes:

Some mods have acknowledged my feelings on the matter...I can ask for no more......Gordon was too busy on his hamster wheel unfortunately.

Prison quotes may well be a case of Philipians 1:16-18 rather than Matthew 7:6 but it will be a case of Rom14:12, Ecc:3:17 and Rom 2:16

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Philipians 1:16-18 rather than Matthew 7:6 but it will be a case of Rom14:12, Ecc:3:17 and Rom 2:16

I am now confused. You are now putting up biblical quotes. Is that not offensive?

Being a worshiper of the one true messiah (Pucki the Wonder Goat) I assume that if I were to quote your holy texts it would not be acceptable, but it's OK for you.

13953783092_54352f67f8_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Some mods have acknowledged my feelings on the matter...I can ask for no more......Gordon was too busy on his hamster wheel unfortunately.

Well if you're going to get all butthurt about not receiving a personal apology from individual admins, then at least have enough cop on to get your facts straight. Gordon didn't post any biblical references in the forum, this was his sole contribution to the thread in question. Maybe if you have some spare time you can come down from your high horse and offer him an apology instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

image.png

• Advertisement

I'm a mod.

I'm somewhere to the right of Mussolini, thought the rainbow overlays on Arsebook and here the usual bandwagoning right on stuff, was mostly meh about the SSM thing though voted yes mainly because I don't particularly care and it wouldn't affect me in the least little bit. I think much of what passes for feminism has become a farce worthy of a giggle. I would have quite a few questions about abortion and would limit it to very early on in the pregnancy. Would agree with you that Christianity, specifically Catholicism gets a fair old hard time here due to the crap it caused on this little island, though would also feel that was also the responsibility of the average Irish person at the time(I guarantee if Boards was here in the 1950's quite the number of vocal atheists about the place would have been craw thumpers). Though Islam gets it as bad if not worse of late. "Politically" I would likely live in opposite land to a lot of admins and mods on Boards.ie and trust me I would not be alone in that.

Happy now?

Why did you describe yourself as "Centre for the most part,with some leftist views" then Benito?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Prison quotes may well be a case of Philipians 1:16-18 rather than Matthew 7:6 but it will be a case of Rom14:12, Ecc:3:17 and Rom 2:16
    Why the double standards?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

It would be a interesting exercise to allow a jury or at least allow people to thank posts...maybe thats another feedback thread:rolleyes:
    I think you're confusing here with a democracy.

Why should people get to vote to decide who stays when most people here (myself as a mod included) don't see the range of info that's used to judge Prison cases? And even if we could, we probably wouldn't understand it.

Also, personally, I'm baffled as to why you're offended at quotes from the Bible being used to show people a better way of behaving - when surely that's one of the main uses it has?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm sad now that I stood down as mod of Food & Drink. I had really been looking forward to banning anyone looking for prawn cocktail recipes for their Christmas starter & quoting Leviticus 11:9-12 in the ban PM.

Internet = seriuz biznez. The fun is gone now. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

1-corinthians-13-1-7.jpg

Just saying...

Gordon wrote: »
    Why the double standards?

Welcome to the fray Gordon...missed you:)

I was referring to myself and things that will surely come to pass rather than ridiculing someone else so no contradiction.
    I suppose I could have just quoted the verses .
    My point was the use of the bible to ridicule people not that repeat offenders would be too bothered and would probably just give up at that point bewildered rather than encouraged.

cdeb wrote: »
    I think you're confusing here with a democracy.

Why should people get to vote to decide who stays when most people here (myself as a mod included) don't see the range of info that's used to judge Prison cases? And even if we could, we probably wouldn't understand it.

Also, personally, I'm baffled as to why you're offended at quotes from the Bible being used to show people a better way of behaving - when surely that's one of the main uses it has?
    I was never so delusional as to think boards was a democracy :)
    Being able to thank the posts we liked would be nice, rather than vote who stays.(as you say, we don't see everything)
    Most responses to references are of bewilderment rather than thanks for instructing someone in how to rectify their behaviour. I can't imagine time sinks being too bothered by your endeavours.

Zaph wrote: »
    Well if you're going to get all butthurt about not receiving a personal apology from individual admins, then at least have enough cop on to get your facts straight. Gordon didn't post any biblical references in the forum, this was his sole contribution to the thread in question. Maybe if you have some spare time you can come down from your high horse and offer him an apology instead?

Never asked for individual apologies ...as for high horses...I was on one once in the mountains of Slovakia and fell off breaking my collar bone and a few ribs...I tend to avoid them now...:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Never asked for individual apologies

Then what do you call this? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

...My point was the use of the bible to ridicule people...

Whoa! Hold your high horses there!

The bible verses were quoted as a means of getting a message across in a light-hearted manner. At no point was anyone ridiculed.

The insinuation that I would do that to someone in Prison nearly offended me.

(Now that was ridicule.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Welcome to the fray Gordon...missed you:)

I was referring to myself and things that will surely come to pass rather than ridiculing someone else so no contradiction.
    I suppose I could have just quoted the verses .
    My point was the use of the bible to ridicule people not that repeat offenders would be too bothered and would probably just give up at that point bewildered rather than encouraged.
    "If you worship a book with content that you find personally offensive depending on delivery - you're worshipping the wrong book."

Gordon ~ 16:37

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

a9RE1ML.gif

Being able to thank the posts we liked would be nice, rather than vote who stays.(as you say, we don't see everything)
    Still, though, irrelevant. I think Reality TV has helped foster this idea that everyone should get a vote on everything these days. You don't.
    Most responses to references are of bewilderment rather than thanks for instructing someone in how to rectify their behaviour.
    Would this bewilderment at Biblical references not be more insulting than its proper application though?

Seriously, I don't understand how you could possibly be offended.

(BTW, they aren't "my" endeavours - I'm not involved there. Just in case there was any confusion!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thread is fairly unedifying all round to be honest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Why did you describe yourself as "Centre for the most part,with some leftist views" then Benito?
    I was lying.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I was lying.

Well that's unfortunate isn't it,though hardly surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I would put money on it that some of the people sneering at the complaints about ridiculing bible references - and going on about how "offence is looked for" etc would be the very same people who would object to ridiculing minority religions.

It's usually people on the right or centre-right who mock people being offended but as this thread shows, it can be from anyone - when it suits of course.

I find it disrespectful and unnecessary on the Prison forum - and yes, it is extremely unlikely that there would be mockeries made of other religions besides christianity. I am an atheist myself by the way, so I don't have a horse in this race (and some of the "christians" on this website are mindblowing in their hatred) but disrespectful and double standards are what they are.

I understand where the admins are coming from at times, as some of the posters in Prison get very abusive, but sometimes they are not at all abusive, and in those cases they deserve to be addressed without the mockery stuff, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I think the best way to summarise this thread is:

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I know it's meant to be funny but I find the biblical references insulting. It's just somebody who thinks it's clever or smart but it's also unnecessary.

• Advertisement

I know it's meant to be funny but I find the biblical references insulting. It's just somebody who thinks it's clever or smart but it's also unnecessary.
    I like that still no-one is able to say why they find the Bible references insulting.

Is it that you should use the Bible regularly or never? And the former are complaining at the latter stepping out of line?

Genuinely - what's the actual problem here? It's been explained before that the quotes are being used as they were intended - guides to life, albeit a relatively trivial part of life in this instance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement