Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Found a dog in bad shape.

• 19-12-2015 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

This evening I got a good look at a dog I have been catching glimpses of for the last few days. He has been wandering around Coillte woods in Clare. He's a large dog, very underweight, possibly with mange. He's very nervous and jumpy and he wouldn't let me get closer than arms-length. I spent an hour trying to lure him into my van so I could take him home, and though he was starving he just wouldn't cooperate. I fed him anyway, and I'm going to try to find him again tomorrow. I think he has the mark of a collar on his neck, and I think he's been neutered, so there's a chance he's been chipped too.
    I've fired off a few emails to various animal rescue organisations in the area <snip>. Does anybody know who is my best bet to get some help catching and rehoming him? I'm tempted to keep him myself, but I have two dogs and two cats who mightn't appreciate the disruption, and anyway it doesn't look like I'll be able to get him into the van. Any bright ideas to lure him into the van would be appreciated too.
    I can't stand to see an animal suffering, his sad face breaks my heart.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think the important thing is to keep feeding him in the one place, so that he builds up a habit of returning to that area. This will be critical to trapping him... I've been involved in the capture of a few dogs in similar circumstances, and experience has taught me that slow and steady wins the race!
    Now, you've a good chance of finding someone down there with a trap, but if he's a big fella, the average trap may be too small. So, would you believe there's a very nice man living in Dublin who is an absolute expert at trapping "wild" dogs... Several rescues have used his services and he does not charge the earth... A very kind man. I've his number here somewhere, if you need it, just shout :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

DBB wrote: »
    I think the important thing is to keep feeding him in the one place, so that he builds up a habit of returning to that area. This will be critical to trapping him... I've been involved in the daytime of a few dogs in similar circumstances, and experience has taught me that slow and steady wins the race!
    Now, you've a good chance of finding someone down there with a trap, but if he's a big fella, the average trap may be too small. So, would you believe there's a very nice man living in Dublin who is an absolute expert at trapping "wild" dogs... Several rescues have used his services and he does not charge the earth... A very kind man. I've his number here somewhere, if you need it, just shout :)

If the kind man's prices are outside your remit, set up a crowdsourcing page and I for one will contribute. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I don't want to pre-empt him, but he only looked for petrol money when I've contacted him, though I'm sure some pocket money wouldn't be turned down! A very decent man.
    It might be no harm either to give Bev Truss of The Hogsprickle a shout... Bev is also a wildlife rehabilitator, a dog behaviourist, and is quite involved with the pet rescue scene in Clare ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Me again. Sorry, I totally forgot not to name animal welfare organisations.

I had a response all typed up last night when stupid Windows 10 happened and everything crashed.
    Here are the headlines:
    I'm going back up now to see if I can get a look at him in daylight. The current plan is to lure him with warm catfood. If he's still not cooperating I'm going to ask for the Kind Man's number, DBB.
    I've made a bed in the shed for him, with a heat lamp. I absolutely can't have him in the house until I know he's not going to pass anything on to my dogs.
    Is there an oral treatment for mange? I don't think there's any way he'll let me administer anything topical but I'd probably be able to slip something into his food. I'm going to try to get something at the vet tomorrow, along with wormer and general advice. I doubt I'll be able to bring him in to the vet because I don't think I'd be able to get a lead or collar on him, and it's virtually impossible to find a vet here that will call to the house.
    Right,
    Dubl07 wrote: »
    If the kind man's prices are outside your remit, set up a crowdsourcing page and I for one will contribute. Best of luck.
    I'm hoping there'll be no need for crowdfunding Dubl07, but if you want you can send a cheque... or you can join me in the wilderness to help me catch him.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Me again. Sorry, I totally forgot not to name animal welfare organisations.

I had a response all typed up last night when stupid Windows 10 happened and everything crashed.
    Here are the headlines:
    I'm going back up now to see if I can get a look at him in daylight. The current plan is to lure him with warm catfood. If he's still not cooperating I'm going to ask for the Kind Man's number, DBB.
    I've made a bed in the shed for him, with a heat lamp. I absolutely can't have him in the house until I know he's not going to pass anything on to my dogs.
    Is there an oral treatment for mange? I don't think there's any way he'll let me administer anything topical but I'd probably be able to slip something into his food. I'm going to try to get something at the vet tomorrow, along with wormer and general advice. I doubt I'll be able to bring him in to the vet because I don't think I'd be able to get a lead or collar on him, and it's virtually impossible to find a vet here that will call to the house.
    Right,
    Bravecto. 99% effective but your vet may have to order it in as it's quite new.

I'm hoping there'll be no need for crowdfunding Dubl07, but if you want you can send a cheque... or you can join me in the wilderness to help me catch him.:D
    I haven't had a cheque book in years! Fingers crossed for you.

• Advertisement

Me again.
    I drove around for a while but I didn't see any sign of him. I'll be back up there later to walk my dogs, sometimes it's easier to find a dog by torchlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

WELL DONE for your efforts with this poor dog. Dont give up if you cant get him today - but I suppose if you're working you wont be able to get there during the week in daylight :( Let us know how you get on? Fingers and everything else crossed for you with the rescue

Just back from walking my dogs. It's a dirty night out there but I didn't see the dog. I left some catfood at the van while I was walking and it was still there when I got back.
    I hope he has found somewhere dry and sheltered to spend the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

What woods did you see him in Co. Clare? I am in Clare and will have time off during the next couple of weeks. If you need some help please let me know, I have friends who are involved in rescue in Clare that would help I'm sure.

Had another look for him tonight. No sign of him, and the food I left while I walked the dogs wasn't touched. I suppose there's a chance somebody else picked him up.
    I was in the vet and I got a wormer for him. There's no way he can be treated for mange until he sees a vet, it seems. One suggestion I got was to give him a sedative that might make him easier to get into the van, but the vet said that there's nothing they can give me that would do the job. All I can do is keep looking, I suppose. Meanwhile, the weather shows no sign of improving,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

You have my deepest respect for trying to help, The last few dogs we taken in were always rescued dogs and we try to give them a good life after how they were treated before.

All I can say is keep trying to work up a trust with him/her, It sounds like the dog is not used to been treated with kindness and is weary of people. It can take time, but is often worth it as once they realise you are a friend, they will repay you with love and loyalty that you wont get from most pets.
    maybe get a whistle and blow it once or twice when you leave food, They will learn.

Advertisement